PDA

View Full Version : Greenland Tradition?

HeloDrvr
20th Mar 2009, 14:09
Been through Greenland a couple of times and I've found a coin by the nose of the aircraft in the morning. Happened in Godthab (BGGH) and Sondre Stromfjord (BGSF).
Has this happened to anyone else and/or does anyone know what the tradition represents, if anything?
Sorry for the quality of the pic.

Thanks.

http://dc87.4shared.com/download/93954036/dd9e3cda/Nuuk_coin.JPG

Geoffersincornwall
20th Mar 2009, 19:05
The only tradition in my Greenlandair days that I could identify as such is one that involved the consumption of as much Carlsberg as possible.

Godhaab - Brrrrrrrr
Sondestrom - BRRRRRRRRR

The natives are friendly though.

G

skadi
21st Mar 2009, 09:25
May be the change of the landing fees?? :}:}:}

skadi

Fareastdriver
21st Mar 2009, 15:17
It is to pay the boatman to cross the River Styx.
The Vikings had similar gods to the Greeks and Romans and and part of death was a jouney through the underworld of which crossing the Styx was necessary. There was a boatman who would charge to take you over so the dead would have to have money on them.
Even now in the UK when a coffin is closed up some people keep to tradition and pennies are placed on the eyes of the deceased. It is still common for fishermen to wear a gold ear ring for the same reason.

Obviously some kindhearted person is thinking about you, or very pessimistic.

Don't worry about it. Stick it in your pocket and take it with you. Charon doesn't take paper money or watches so if the unthinkable happens you will be able to give him coinage. As long as your co-jo sticks with you, you can buy a double ticket. No coins or gold and you will join the millions wandering on the wrong side of the river for eternity.