PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Airport Fraudster Jailed

Ovation
20th Mar 2009, 10:48
AUSTRALIA'S own catch-me-if-you-can conman will spend another year in jail over his latest scam at Sydney airport. Barry John Faulkner, 59, is a registered sex offender with a history of fraud dating back to the 1970s.

Over the years, Faulkner has conned people out of thousands of dollars after posing as a doctor, an airline pilot, a CIA agent, an American military officer and a member of the band, The Monkees.

In November last year, he was charged over his latest scam in which he posed as Barry Frank, a FedEx courier. Faulkner approached people telling them that as a FedEx employee he was entitled to buy property left at Customs at a heavily reduced price.

He fleeced people of thousands of dollars, promising them Ducati motorcycles, cigarettes, perfumes and watches, but failed to produce the goods, according to facts tendered to Sydney's Central Local Court.

Faulkner pleaded guilty to three charges of obtaining money by deception relating to three offences committed in the first half of last year.
Related Coverage

During sentencing submissions, his lawyer told Magistrate Allan Moore that Faulkner had been suffering from depression when he confessed all to police at the time of his arrest, and had ongoing mental health problems.

She requested her client's sentence be back-dated to the time of his arrest and that he be entitled to the full discount given his early plea.

However, Mr Moore said Faulkner was not entitled to any discount on his sentence given his long history of fraud. The magistrate also refused to give him a non-parole period, saying he was at high risk of re-offending.

"You lead a life whereby you live off the misfortune of others which you impose on them," Mr Moore told Faulkner, who appeared via video link from Parklea prison, dressed in overalls and sporting a full grey beard. "The record clearly indicates (your fraud) going back to the `70s ... You are likely to offend again."

Faulkner will be eligible for release on February 10 next year.

:cool:

sms777
20th Mar 2009, 10:58
I think he is innocent....... It is a simple case clearly indicated by his statement. :
"Your Honour.....The Devil made me do it "