PDA

View Full Version : CASA instrument 113/09 SE flight over water

PlankBlender
20th Mar 2009, 00:46
This just in: http://casa.gov.au/rules/miscinst/2009/CASA113.pdf

Looks to me like it's just stating the regs already in place. What's the difference I'm obviously missing? Mandatory flight note/SAR time?

FRQ Charlie Bravo
20th Mar 2009, 01:10
Ditto. Nothing new here. Do I have to pay CASA for the privilege of reading that or will the fees collected from my medicals cover it?

FRQ CB

blackhand
20th Mar 2009, 01:56
Hey Plankbender, perhaps you understand the regs but there appears to be some who do not.
Caravan carrying passengers Port Moresby to Cairns DIRECT - and don't get me started on compressor turbine washes not being carried out when operating over salt water.

Blackhand

VH-XXX
20th Mar 2009, 02:23
From what I understand it's not just "operating over salt water" but rather operating in a "salt-laden environment," quite different. Would like to see the specific reg but don't know where to find it exactly.

blackhand
20th Mar 2009, 02:34
VH-XXX
Look at AD/PT6A/28
You are correct it is operating in salt laden environment.
I was involved in the original incident in the Torres Strait that was the precursor to this AD.
CT blades departed the engine in flight, roll back to ground idle, pilot dead sticked the aircraft 12 mile over the ocean to Coconut Island(from memory) nine pax on board.

Moral is DO YOUR CT WASHES after every flight.

Blackhand

Socket
20th Mar 2009, 03:47
Infamous UZU:}

Sarcs
20th Mar 2009, 21:06
blackhand,

That was a 8 mile final back to a beach on Badu Island, we were enroute Badu to Saibai climbing through 5,300' (for 5,500' cruise). I had just pushed the power lever up half an inch and the engine made a very loud "bang" followed by a hissing noise, as the gasses escaped from the engine.

That flight was my very first ICUS flight after the endorsement on the Van and I believe there was 4-5 pax onboard. The beach in question was dubbed "UZU beach" and the "caravan park" (amongst a few names).

You're right in saying the Badu incident changed the way SE turbines are/were operated in a high salt laden environment. We had to do a compwash every flight day in the Straits after Badu.

It was also probaly a factor (amongst many others) to introducing Low Capacity RPT to the Straits. What that ment to van operators in the Straits was all operators had to adhere to the "ASETPA rules" for IFR ops. One of those rules included the ability for an aircraft to be able to glide to a SLA (safe landing area) at all times except for 15 minutes in the cruise at cruise TAS/GS.

So I suppose you could say this also shows compliance with CASA instrument 113/09, in fact ASETPA is actually more restrictive.

cheers

Sarcs

blackhand
20th Mar 2009, 22:03
Hey Sarcs
Been a while between beers!!
I remember that day well.

Blackhand