PDA

View Full Version : From licenced a/c engineer to pilot? Your experiences

zigmund
19th Mar 2009, 21:27
Hi, Im currently training as an AMT, I have nearly all the my cat A exams finished and gonna start moving on my B1s in a few weeks. In the mean time Ill be building up experience during the day training.
Ive always however had an interest in being a pilot, this was for some time before I ever started my training as a mechanic. My wish to be a pilot has obviously now become a long term one, seeing as you need to at least 5 years working to even get your B1.

Have any pilots here made a similar sort of change, from engineer or mechanic to pilot?
If so what was your experiences like, were you a qualified licensed engineer and just started fresh with integrated training? Or did you begin with part time lessons.
I guess Im wondering am I mad to carry on with all my B exams and experience, knowing that Ill probably eventually want to leave. The truth is I cant afford any other way of going about it.

ReverseFlight
19th Mar 2009, 23:14
I know we are on the other side of the world but your aspirations remind me of Ron Newman who started off as an aircraft engineer but went on to establish the largest helicopter training and charter organisation in Melbourne, Australia:

--- PHS Professional Helicopter Services --- (http://www.phs.com.au/profile.html)

What the website does not mention was that Ron managed to convince his then employers to fund his first helicopter flight licence, something perhaps you'd like to think about in your future endeavours.

Best of luck.

Slipstream86
20th Mar 2009, 17:34
Is your employment after your engineering training secured?

zigmund
20th Mar 2009, 20:01
not absolutely guaranteed but pretty secure yes, it will only be as a mechanic though, itll be up to me to go and get engineering work when I get my B1.
I read over a few old posts in the sticky and I realized my situation is the same as anyone else thats working full time and wants to make the big change.

So I think Ill make it an 8 or 10 year plan and go modular , just work on getting my PPL for now,at least Ill be working on planes full time so I should probably appreciate my situation a bit more. Also it wont be as big a gamble if it looks like its not working out

@ReverseFlight: Thats inspiring stuff , maybe something to look at in 15 years:ok:

BelArgUSA
21st Mar 2009, 13:54
Not my case, but my airline career was entirely with 3 flight crew airplanes.
That is pilot, co-pilot and flight engineer.
Many of the flight engineers were former ground (maintenance) engineers.
We call them "mechanics" in the USA.
xxx
With PanAm, we had "Pilot-F/Es" (flight engineers with pilot licence).
And we had "PFEs" for Professional F/Es, no pilot licence but a A&P licence.
The FAA "A&P" licence is the "ground engineer licence" in USA.
xxx
I knew a few pilots that were former PFE, who had later qualified as pilot.
Many PFE also held a PPL or CPL and flew privately.
xxx
A suggestion for you - is this...
The "best job" for an engineer is to be a corporate jet co-pilot.
Flying an airplane such as a Gulstream, and taking care of maintenance.
I met one who was. His salary was same as the captain's.
Hardly ever used tools. Just maintenance oversight and keeping records.
At worst, changing a lightbulb, or checking tyre pressure.
xxx
Best of luck to you -
:ok:
Happy contrails

meesta_ree
4th Apr 2009, 22:13
Hey...

Yeah I made the jump from engineer to pilot, in case you are wondering, no none of those hard earnt CAA B1 exams are acceptable equivalents in the ATPL exams, you have to do all 14 exams....However, experience does pay in the knowledge department, especially in the theory although typical engineer, you'll look too deeply into things...changing the engine before the spark plug! Working as an engineer you will definately appreciate though in the airline industry its not what you know, its who you know half the time and getting your foot in the door somehow will help, but don't assume anything is guarenteed, at the end of the day, airlines would prefer 10 years flying an airbus as opposed to 10 years maintaing them for the position of pilot. From experience, on the occassion you will miss getting your hands dirty every now and then too.

The down side is if something in your plane goes wrong, or someone else has a problem, you're expected to know EVERYTHING, even if it wasn't your trade but thats only a peer pressure....

Its a shame the days of the flight engineer are nearly gone...:(

Flying Mechanic
4th Apr 2009, 22:33
I went from Engineer to Pilot, its a good way to enter the industry....via the hangar doors! You will gain a good indepth knowledge of Aircraft that sadly not many pilots have, and no fault of their as most tech courses these days are done on CBT.
Also when u r looking for the the first job, trying getting a job with the Engineering side of the co, then once u are in start hassling the Chief pilot for a flying gigg! It worked for me, and my first job after 3 months in the hangar I was given the flying job( at a time when pilots were dime a dozen!). Also I did some remote flying, and few times the spanners came out to get us home, and no joke that happened once in Iraq, the plane went tech, i borrowed some spanners of the USAF, and we were on our way home!!
Good luck to u, its a great way to start your career.

Private jet
6th Apr 2009, 20:53
Yes, i did it. Several years servicing the big jets. Initially I got a PPL because i felt that being an aircraft engineer and not having a pilots license was a bit like being a car mechanic that could not drive! Later i started to feel that there was little progression in the job, it was going to be 40 years of the same (endless checks, inspections, routine, defects...) or you go into the office or management, which didn't exactly fill me with excitement either.
I resigned, got my professional licenses and have been flying corporate aircraft for the last 10 years. I don't think that my background was any use in securing a flying job, unfortunate but true. I was just in the right place at the right time and met the right people by chance to get a start.

CY333
7th Apr 2009, 07:54
I am 29, got a B1 and worked the last few years with Airbus.
Now donig my ATPL.
Always wanted to do it but it was to much money.
Been an engineer gives me the chance to pay this amount now.
I believe anything you learn is a good thing but would advice you to cover the 2 years required to obtain your lisence and maybe a type rating due to the fact that you might have some problems getting a job as a pilot.
There is always a need for engineers and especially lisenced with a type rating.

Dark Side
7th Apr 2009, 11:23
Hello All,

I have been in the aviation industry as a maintenance engineer since being 16 and I am fast approaching the big four 0. I have been licensed the last 12 years or so and have had enough of the engineering side.

I am undertaking my PPL very soon with the intention of gaining my ATPL and the obvious move to the flying side to finish off the last years of my aviation career.

Does anybody have any advice for me on whether I should undertake this endeavour or not,particularly the availability of jobs once gaining my ATPL.

I appreciate that things change quickly in the aviation industry, you only have to look back less than 12 months!!

All feedback is welcomed no matter how harsh! I just want to get an idea that I am doing the right thing before parting with a vast sum of money and not getting as decent position at the end of it--I am sure it is a question everyone ponders on but like I have said I welcome all feedback and insight.

Regards, DS