PDA

View Full Version : Storm Window

RTN11
19th Mar 2009, 19:04
What is the "storm window" for on piper aircraft?

I've asked a few instructors and heard a few theories but never had a definitive answer. Can't seem to find out online either.

Mike744
19th Mar 2009, 19:23
I understand its also known as a DV (Direct View?)
I'm just a student but it's uses so far are: open it to shout 'clear prop'
plus gives a perfect view for a photo opportunity. Suspect its main use is when the screen visibility is reduced for whatever reason then you can at least have some unrestricted view via the DV window.
I'd be interested to know if I'm right?

18greens
19th Mar 2009, 19:26
Its also called the DV panel or direct vision panel.

If the windscreen freezes up or gets covered in oil you pop the panel open and hey presto you can see the runway.

Also useful for tapping your ash out and if the door opens in flight open the panel to make the door easier to close.

Never heard it called a storm window.

Islander2
19th Mar 2009, 19:26
If you try peeing out of it your rear-seat passengers will confirm that it's appropriately named. ;)

RTN11
19th Mar 2009, 20:17
I had heard it referred to as a DV panel, but was told it stood for Direct Ventilation so if the main door opens during flight, you open the little window and it makes the main door easier to close because of the pressure.

Not so sure why it's called a storm window, but i've seen in on piper documents so it is an official name. Not sure what help it would be in a storm.

so many uses for a small flap.

Rightbase
19th Mar 2009, 20:18
1. So you can reach in and turn off the master switch after checking the lights, stall warner and pitot heat and before the battery is too flat to start it on a cold day.

2. So the dwarf sitting in front of the nose wheel not wearing a high vis jacket can hear your 'clear prop' call.

3. To clear the cabin air quickly if you frighten yourself, your instructor or your passenger(s) during a critical phase of the flight.

isi3000
19th Mar 2009, 20:21
I know it can be used as an in-flight rubbish disposal :oh:

BackPacker
19th Mar 2009, 23:18
Mandatory emergency escape, because a Piper only has one door on the RHS.

Gotta remember that the people were a lot smaller on average when Piper designed the PA-28, about halfway through the previous century.

Mark1234
19th Mar 2009, 23:24
I'd think the connection between 'storm window' and 'direct vision' panel was fairly obvious - a storm's another good way of blocking your natural forward visibility.

Never heard of it called a ventilation panel, but hey. More to the point, I'd not like to try returning to earth if the only 'visual' bit I had was out that tiny hole..

@backpacker - Nice :)

flybymike
20th Mar 2009, 00:13
Direct vision panel for 100 knot crosswind component landings with the wind from the right and all other windows iced up.

Kyprianos Biris
20th Mar 2009, 06:49
On Socata TB series the storm window is the little opening window on the port side. Very useful.

You can see it if you click on the TB20 Trinidad image of the link below to load the high res. version of it.
DSC03628s (http://hellasga.com/gallery/v/kyp/sxatk/DSC03628s.jpg.html)

Final 3 Greens
20th Mar 2009, 09:17
Its for shooting buzzards, in flight.

Carrying on a practice described in 'Behind the Cockpit Door', by Capt Arthur Whitlock.

bjornhall
20th Mar 2009, 09:20
I thought it was to give flightsim model designers another part to animate...

B2N2
20th Mar 2009, 12:53

Gotta remember that the people were a lot smaller on average when Piper designed the PA-28, about halfway through the previous century.

Coffee on my keyboard now..ROFL

unrestricted view via the DV window
REALLY? Why did they put it off to the side then?
If you have that much oil on your windscreen (or ice for that matter) in a single you won't make an airport.
My money goes to ventilation on the ground and as a side effect it slightly less difficult to close the door in flight. Don't ask me how I know.

VFE
20th Mar 2009, 13:12
If you are ever unfortunate enough to experience smoke in the cockpit whilst airbourne you will soon discover what that little window is for.

VFE.

Windy Militant
20th Mar 2009, 13:49
I though the DV was for firing flares out of at Mach one as in Airport 79 or 80, the one with the Concorde in. :}

DeeCee
20th Mar 2009, 13:50
Try flying in France in the middle of summer and you'll be grateful for any extra cool air.

Open it in flight and the aircraft will yaw slightly to the right.

Tasslehoff
20th Mar 2009, 17:41
I know it can be used as an in-flight rubbish disposal :oh:

No. We don't do that, not in a car/boat/plane etc.

vanHorck
20th Mar 2009, 20:06
odd position for an emergency potty......

L'aviateur
20th Mar 2009, 21:51
I've always assumed its for ventilation, and unless i'm cold leave it up open all the time in preference over the fan. (am i wrong doing that?)

DB6
20th Mar 2009, 22:08
DV = Delayed Vomit. If your passenger hurls his curry all over the windscreen mid-flight, by sticking your nose out of the Delayed Vomit window you can delay your own barf-by-association, normally until about short final.......:yuk: True. Honest.

englishal
20th Mar 2009, 23:49
If you have a big knob, it makes a great "emergency evacuation point" ;) (watch out for severe icing though, not certified for use in.... :})

ExSp33db1rd
21st Mar 2009, 09:32
It was very useful to plan to push a 2 litre plastic milk bottle through, said bottle containing some water, for weight, and a new fan belt for a French sailor in a yacht becalmed in the Tasman who couldn't start his motor due broken fan belt. Critics said he needed the motor to power the generator, to power the 'fridge, to cool the Champagne.

Sadly, just before take off he radioed that he had found some wind, and would continue to sail to NZ and would save his money that had been negotiated for the flight. Was actually looking forward to the challenge !

BroomstickPilot
21st Mar 2009, 11:45

Actually, this is quite plausible despite the small size of the hole.

This is because if you really are that scared, then you really will exit an aircraft through holes you wouldn't even attempt at other times.

Broomstick

vanHorck
21st Mar 2009, 12:49
I use mine to stick out my Dutch flag and Orange banner whenever I land at a foreign airport.

RTN11
21st Mar 2009, 23:57
Piper only has one door on the RHS

I really wouldn't want to be in the rear left seat in the event of an engine fire.

Lasiorhinus
22nd Mar 2009, 04:00
In flight rubbish disposal, yes, but only for appropriate rubbish. Banana peels, apple cores, handkerchiefs filled with vomit. Definitely not cans of drink or plastic bags.

Excellent ventilation as a Delayed Vomit window, though Cessna's windows do work better.

Great for the refueller to poke the docket for your last refuelling, through, when there's no one at the plane.

Great for flour bombing in flight, and Aerial Golf.

Would be great for throwing out the toilet roll for a spot of streamer cutting, if the Warrior was a good aircraft for streamer-cutting in.

Flying around the desert, your cabin will fill up with flies on the ground. The little window is a great way of getting rid of the flies. All you need is a short length of flexible hose. Put one end of the hose out the window, and use the other end like a vacuum cleaner. Chase the flies around the dashboard, and as they get close to the end of the hose, sluuuurp! They're gone!

Phil O'Rupp
22nd Mar 2009, 05:43
I know several pilots (myself included) who have found it useful when, after landing and trying to open the door have found than something in the locking mechanism has slipped and they can't get it to open. The little window is just perfect for passing the keys to someone on the ground who can unlock it.

BackPacker
22nd Mar 2009, 08:50
Flying around the desert, your cabin will fill up with flies on the ground. The little window is a great way of getting rid of the flies. All you need is a short length of flexible hose. Put one end of the hose out the window, and use the other end like a vacuum cleaner. Chase the flies around the dashboard, and as they get close to the end of the hose, sluuuurp! They're gone!

My vote for the most original use of the DV window goes to this one!:ok:

KandiFloss
22nd Mar 2009, 11:54
"I know several pilots (myself included) who have found it useful when, after landing and trying to open the door have found than something in the locking mechanism has slipped and they can't get it to open. The little window is just perfect for passing the keys to someone on the ground who can unlock it. "

As long as they don't run off with them :D

Lasiorhinus
24th Mar 2009, 10:13
My vote for the most original use of the DV window goes to this one!:ok:

An idea born of necessity, good sir :ok: