PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Aero Club at Perth - Events

PH-UKU
19th Mar 2009, 18:32
Well done to all at Scottish Aero Club for organising last night's talk - "Tailend Charlie" by former WW2 Lancaster Rear-Gunner, Alistair Lamb. It was excellent, witty and informative. Just the kind of event to get us aeronauts motivated. The P51 training video was a nice fillip too..... And the sandwiches and wine were a bonus. ;)

To all who haven't been to Perth for a while. B+B accommodation on-site is only £22 a head, and an excellent evening meal can be had in The Aviator restaurant, and a nice cuppa and chocolate cake at the Aeroclub or Diner.

And well done also to Scottish AeroClub, Morris Leslie and Air Charter Scotland for getting the Red Arrows along for the Perth Airport Airshow on 6th June 2009. Promises to be a good day out for all the family. All help, sponsorship and support will be gratefully received by the folks at SAC.

:D:D:D

DB6
20th Mar 2009, 07:42
First I've heard of the Perth Airshow and I'm based at Dundee! Worth getting some advertising out?

Newflyer123
20th Mar 2009, 23:30
I'm new to flying and looked forward to my first flying lesson. I had a trail flight at perth about a year ago and loved it. The Pilot who took me up was really good and encouraged me to take up flying. I retruned to Perth about 3 weeks ago expecting to see this instructor but he was not about. I asked about him and was told that he had been sacked?? I asked about lessons and was told that a new Eurostar was been used for training. I left as I did not want to fly a microlight. I've already posted about this,

Update is I actually went back and spoke to the same guy again and this time he advised me to go to Dundee as SAC are short of instructors. The place was dead and no one else was about.

Sorry but I found the SAC the most unfriendly and unhelpful flying shcool. I have now started lessons at Dundee and would advise anyone to avoid Perth.

I don't know this guy who had the talk,but the last post is totally not what perth is like.

NF

fernytickles
21st Mar 2009, 01:47
Phooey! A couple of visits and you, Newflyer123, are the sage of all things at Perth...? Every time I went there, it was very friendly and a hub of interesting aviation.

Having said that, if you found it unfriendly, lets hope some folks on the field take note of your comments and try to warm things up. Tho' reading PH-UKU's post they are already doing that :ok:

S205-18F
21st Mar 2009, 08:39
I read NF123s post with some dismay! I did my flight training at Perth and finished it at Dundee, there is a great difference between both site mainly that Dundee is a well organised flight training centre and Perth is an Aero club with excellent flight training facilities! I suspect that You spoke to the wrong person about training as I know that the training aircraft are Cessna 152s or PA28s with the official training providers for SAC! I apologise for getting off thread but NF123s post here needed answering!
John.

DB6
21st Mar 2009, 08:51
While I don't know all the details I think it's fair to say that there has been a fair amount of upheaval and argy-bargy at Perth in the last few months, however there is no denying that it's an excellent airfield with a huge amount of potential. Perhaps if anyone who tried to introduce politics into the equation was smacked in the mouth and told to sod off it would realise that potential. But Perth's not alone in that.

dont overfil
21st Mar 2009, 13:04
Newflyer123
You flew last time with Leading Edge who have now relocated to the tower building.
Sorry you got caught up in politics.
SAC have only recently got involved with training with the Eurostar.
DO.

sp6
21st Mar 2009, 14:41
Hi Newflyer123

My name is Keith Miller and I'm the new CFI at Perth for PPL training. I read your comments with dismay as nothing could be further from the truth. If you would like to pm me, or ring 01738 658156 from Tuesday onwards I'll be happy to personally put right the mis-information you have.

Up till December, the PPL training was contracted to Leading Edge, wholly owned by Allan Falconner. Allan is also a director of ACS Aviation, who own the training aircraft, run the maintenance business at Perth, own and run Tayflite and are the Airport Operator. In discussion with the Scottish Aero Club, it was decided by all concerned, to RE-BRAND Leading Edge as "SAC Flight Training", wholly owned and operated by ACS Aviation.

The Leading Edge CFI was to be promoted to teach CPL at Tayflite, but in the end moved to Carlisle. No one was sacked.

SAC FT now have 3 full time instructors, and a bank of 6 part time instructors. We have 2 C152's for JAR PPL(A) and NPPL SSEA, one superb Archer III and the Eurostar for NPPL M training.

Changes for 2009 include two hour booking slots for a one hour lesson - far better for effective pre-flight and post flight briefings, pack prices for intensive training and hire, good rates for pay as you go.

Efforts are also being made to integrate operations with the professional flying school - Tayflite. Teaching methods are to be standardised so that a prospective ATPL can be taught PPL, hour build, CPL, IR and FIC all with the same organisation answering to a Head of Training.

Further integration is also being worked on with Air Charter Scotland so that part sponsorship programmes can lead to First Officer work on Cessna Citations.

There it is: no rumour, no malicious posting. Learn at Perth and you can choose either great leisure flying in the Eurostar for £30 per hour or get a guaranteed Citation business jet job in 2 years. What else do you get when you add a successful Aviation company, a large independant flying club and the best GA airfield facilities in Scotland?

cheers

Keith

Hardie65
21st Mar 2009, 17:57
We flew into Perth from Shoreham, towards the end of June last year, around the airshow time, infact it was the evening before the airshow on our way to Kirkwall and while it was awhile ago we could not fault the hospitality, friendliness and help we received. :D What a refreshing change that was. Would love to go back and visit again.

ZE731
7th Jun 2009, 15:19
I just want to pass on my thanks to Scottish Aero Club, Morris Leslie and all those involved in the Perth Airshow for helping to make the show a fantastic day. I overheard many people on the day comment on how they had enjoyed the show,which speaks volumes about the hard work and planning that had been put in to make the event a great success.

Thanks also to all the flying participants who put on an outstanding flying display (special mention has to go to the C152!) :D

Cheers

cats_five
7th Jun 2009, 15:55
I watched the Reds from a hill overlooking the airfield from the East and as usual was thrilled and impressed. Sadly the weather could have been better, but it could have been a whole lot worse - their display managed to fit between two of the showers.

Will they be back again sometime? :)

machel
7th Jun 2009, 22:46
:ok: Well done to everyone involved in Perth Airshow. Despite the weather, I don't think any of the displays were cancelled. I particularly enjoyed the two Chipmunks - a very graceful display and the C152 was also flown extremely well! It was also great to see the model aircraft so close up and watch them being flown so skilfully. It's just a pity more folk didn't fly in for the LAA fly-in the evening before.

Keith_P
8th Jun 2009, 15:37
I was very impressed by the show on Saturday.

The flying displays were very good, topped and tailed by the Red Arrows and Typhoon with all the displays in between very well executed. Everything seemed to run smoothly, all the more impressive with the weather conditions being a bit difficult. The Royal Navy even managed to get back from a real rescue call in time to put on their display.

There were also plenty of non-flying displays to entertain and all those volunteers from club members to RAF cadets who assisted on the day were very helpful.

Congratulations to all involved in organising the event and also all those who helped the day run so smoothly.

cats_five
8th Jun 2009, 15:55
Found out today that it was aerotows from hell (not literally you understand!) to get the K21 and T21 gliders there and back. :eek: The K21 belongs to Walking on Air, which is a charity that aims to allow folks who cannot use normal rudder pedals to fly. They use a hand-operated rudder and the glider has detents on the airbrake to hold it in place during the approach. The glider can be setup with hand-rudders (or not) in any combination of back & front seats using kits supplied by the maker. The airbrake detents are also jolly handy when doing a DI - it's possible to lock the airbrakes fully open to check the boxes for water / rodents, and that the locking nuts are all present and (apparently) correct.

I tried flying using the hand-rudder once and it was so, so hard! :confused: To start with the yaw string was imitating windscreen wipers - thankfully it was a K21 not a Puch. I was getting the hang of co-ordinated turns after 20 minutes or so, but only when there was no pressure on. Needless to say the back seat did the launch, circuit and landing. :ok:

Rod1
8th Jun 2009, 15:57
“t's just a pity more folk didn't fly in for the LAA fly-in the evening before.”

The event was billed as an LAA regional rally. I have tried to support the LAA be attending almost all of the official LAA regional events (I even got up to Wick) and had had this one down in my diary for some time. I was appalled that the airfield was closed from 10:00am to 5:00pm on the Saturday. This effectively made it impossible for me to attend. On the up side the weather in the midlands would have been a problem, but having an LAA rally that you cannot fly into is a bit odd!

Rod1

maxred
8th Jun 2009, 15:58
Scottish Aero Club are an excellent organisation with first rate facilities and communication structures. The club has been around for a long, long time and it shows. They do it well. It is a great pity that they have become involved with ACS who, IMHO, are a shower. My opinion only, but AF and his merry men are not honourable, nor good at what they do. Pity.:sad:

sp6
8th Jun 2009, 21:48
Maxred

FYI there were ACS Instructors, Engineers and Groundstaff all contributing their time and effort to make the Air Show a success. I'm a SAC member and part time ACS contractor, and spent all Friday, Saturday and some of Sunday giving up my time to do what I could.

As for "honourable", that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I do take exception to "not good at what they do". The instructors all have excellent pass results for MEIR, CPL, PPL and revalidations. For PPL (SAC Flight Training) we use 2 hour booking slots for each one hour lesson - everyone else in Scotland rushes the student with 90 minute slots.

Engineering is excellent. I had my own aircraft 2 years ago, and despite being in competition with AF at the time, got my aircraft serviced by Mufeed at ACS. The tunraround was quick, the work spot on and the bill reasonable. There are a good bunch of younger engineers being trained by Bob and Mufeed and they are a great bunch.

Ops at Perth are very hard working and bend over backwards to help visiting aircraft. Taxis, hotels, flight plans all get sorted for visiting pilots.
The guys were always friendly and helpful when I had my aircraft at Perth, and I haven't heard any grumbles from other owners/operators about refuelling, radio and ops.

Lastly (long rant -sorry), I've been a SAC member longer than an ACS contractor. Both the SAC and ACS are working very hard to make Perth the best GA field in Scotland and the excellent Airshow is proof that their combined efforts are working well.

cheers

SP6

jonkil
8th Jun 2009, 22:36
Flew into Perth a few weeks ago on a business trip, lovely airfield, wonderful facilities and in a great location.
Highly recommended.

Jon

grow45
9th Jun 2009, 18:46
For PPL (SAC Flight Training) we use 2 hour booking slots for each one hour lesson - everyone else in Scotland rushes the student with 90 minute slots.
Edinburgh Flying Club use 2 hour slots as well.

g45

machel
9th Jun 2009, 23:10
Hi, Rod,

I was appalled that the airfield was closed from 10:00am to 5:00pm on the Saturday.

The airshow was on the whole day on Saturday, which was why no-one was allowed to fly in during those times. Lots of people arrived on the Saturday morning up until 10 am. I agree, though, it didn't make it easy for folk flying in from a distance for the fly-in itself.

Rod1
10th Jun 2009, 07:58
machel

I have no problem with Perth, great place; hope to visit again soon and I have no problem with an airshow. However, calling it an official LAA regional rally and then closing the airfield so most of us could not fly in was a bit daft! I could have made it with a 7:30am start but I would have been very unpopular with the locals around my strip.

Rod1

gblwy
10th Jun 2009, 12:46
To set the record straight, we communicated as follows to the aviation press:

Friday 5th - LAA Regional Rally
Saturday 6th - Heart of Scotland Airshow
Sunday 7th - Education Day

We hoped LAAers would fly in for the weekend, and participate on the Sunday as well (and indeed several did), but we made no claim that Saturday or Sunday were "LAA" days. We, the Scottish Aero Club and visiting pilots, managed to fly no less than 130 youngsters on Sunday, including 80 cadets, 40 scouts, and 10 kids from Edinburgh Sick Children's hospital.

Please accept my apology if communication of the 3 days was not clear. Unfortunately, I cannot influence how the aviation press described our events - even the LAA!

Keith Boardman
Scottish Aero Club chairman and events organiser
LAA Strathtay Strut co-ordinator

Rod1
10th Jun 2009, 12:57
gblwy

Thanks for the clarification. The LAA stuff certainly said Saturday and there has never been an LAA rally on just a weekday before, probably because 90% of us work so we could not fly in…

I hope you had a good event and I hope you continue to do so, but please drop the regional rally status, as a rally is a big fly in and you cannot do this on a weekday or if the airfield is closed!

Rod1

Say again s l o w l y
10th Jun 2009, 13:11
Scottish Aero Club are an excellent organisation with first rate facilities and communication structures. The club has been around for a long, long time and it shows. They do it well. It is a great pity that they have become involved with ACS who, IMHO, are a shower. My opinion only, but AF and his merry men are not honourable, nor good at what they do.

What a load of Bo**ocks.

Allan is an honorable man. I should know. I worked with him for 3 years. Mistakes happen in any business, but that doesn't make people dishonest.

I have no idea who you are, or what your problem is, but you are simply talking out of your backside.

As for the LAA stuff, well, that just needs to be fixed for next time.

Well done to all involved for organising it. You did a great job.

Say again s l o w l y
10th Jun 2009, 16:49
Maxred, you've thoroughly annoyed me with your comments, can I ask if it was the training side of ACS/SAC or LE you have the problem with (I'd be stunned if it was) or the maintenance side?

If it is the maintenance side, can I ask you if you are one of those people who might have large bills outstanding for work done on their aircraft?

machel
10th Jun 2009, 22:33
:ok::ok:
We, the Scottish Aero Club and visiting pilots, managed to fly no less than 130 youngsters on Sunday, including 80 cadets, 40 scouts, and 10 kids from Edinburgh Sick Children's hospital.

Well done to everyone! That's a fantastic achievement and must have made a lot of youngsters very happy.:)

PH-UKU
12th Jun 2009, 16:46
Well done to everyone! That's a fantastic achievement and must have made a lot of youngsters very happy.

It did, judging by all the huge grins :E