PDA

View Full Version : HP Laserjet 4 Plus and XP Sp3

Loose rivets
19th Mar 2009, 18:32
After a few attempts at going the normal route I had resigned myself to rebooting to print on the old but very fine, LJ4. This morning I had one of those gut feelings to call HP

After a lot of going down the same track, then being told that it was now unsupported, he suddenly suggests a Generic driver. That was a new one on me.

It landed in my Downloads as a similar looking file to the last one, yet to be unzipped. I created a directory labeled generic and let it unpack in there.

Some of the procedures were depressingly familliar, but suddenly a kind of graphic loaded wizzard took over. It spent some time installing itself...but then, heypresto, the test page slid out of the 15 year old machine. Now for the real test. WP shows it as HP Universal Printing PCL 5 when selecting printer. Out came the first page!

Time will tell. Some of the others produced some text, but barmy mixtures on web pages etc. One will give it a run when the g-kids are orf me hands.

stickyb
20th Mar 2009, 06:38
As a die hard Win2K user with a very good HP LJ4Plus, i am contemplating XP. COuld you give me more details of where to find the download?

Loose rivets
20th Mar 2009, 13:29
You'll probably find it in the XP in the normal way, however, if you get SP3 it just may be the reason I was left out in the cold. Folk say don't load SP3 if you get the option.

I'm rushing to get my car...750 mile drive since it threw a gearbox at 30k. Will look when I get back. Last ditch, I can send you the zipped file.

R