PDA

View Full Version : Questions ref my trip to Dublin

Hamburg 2K8
19th Mar 2009, 18:09
Hi All,

I'm off on a one day trip to Dublin on Saturday 25th April. My train arrives at MAN @ 10.04AM and my flight to Dublin with FR departs at 10.50AM. I know it's a bit of a walk from the train station to T1 departures, how long before a FR flight departes do you have to check in? Would I still be able to check in at 10.15AM ish, that's assuming my train arrives on time. I am travelling from North Wales and will be leaving there at 8.13AM which is the first train out of the day. I'm flying back with Aer Lingus that night and land at 20.10 and my train departs MAN at 20.29, hope I make that one!

Has anyone ever flown with Aer Lingus, I have never flown with either, but have heard many stories about FR. But this is a one day businness trip and I'm worried I won't make check in departing MAN and my train leaving MAN that night.

Any advice/suggestions would be appriciated.

Thanks,
Mat.

Michael SWS
19th Mar 2009, 19:10
Are you checking in at the airport? Ryanair check-in desks close exactly 40 minutes prior to departure, so I'd say that you are unlikely to make it. If you check in online you have to be at the gate no later than 10 minutes prior to departure (but Ryanair recommends 30 minutes).

On the way back, you're allowing 19 minutes between scheduled landing and train departure? Good luck! :)

You're cutting it very, very finely in both directions. You're mad.

one11
19th Mar 2009, 19:21
Your schedule is VERY tight and i would not like to risk it. Even with on-line check in you have to get from the train through the station, along the walkway to T1, through security, through the maze of shops that now block your way to the gate and finally,for FR, usually to the far end of the pier. I reckon its not on unless absolutely everything goes right and you run it.

Dont know where you are in N Wales but there are stopping trains from Holyhead from about 0500 that get you to Man Piccadilly by 0850 from where MAN airport by 0930 should be easy - if you are routing via Crewe that might be more of a problem. I am in Chester so I have some experience of getting to MAN by train.

The return looks equally risky but again, there may be different train options

Coquelet
19th Mar 2009, 19:23
As it is a one day trip, I assume that you have no hold baggage and that you have web-checked before.
You still have to be at the gate 30 minutes before SDT, that is at 10.20 for a 10.50 departure.
From the airport train station to T1, it's rather a long walk - or there is a bus, but you may have to wait for one to arrive ...

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
19th Mar 2009, 19:25
I think you are seriously chancing your luck. Why not take a leisurely journey to Manch the night before and stay in a Travel Inn, or similar?

one11
19th Mar 2009, 19:27
Should have checked your ID - i see you are in Rhuddlan so maybe your 0813 is ex-Rhyl . If so you do have one earlier direct train to Man-Piccadilly and by changing at Chester 3 more, starting at about 0500

Michael SWS
19th Mar 2009, 19:46
As one11 says, there are several earlier trains from Rhyl to Manchester Airport.

For a 10.50 departure I'd be inclined to take the train at 07.03 (change Manchester Oxford Road; arrive 09.17).

The Real Slim Shady
20th Mar 2009, 00:15
Hamburg

as an internet check in you can be off loaded at STD - 30 ( read the Ts & Cs ) and if the aircraft can depart early - it will.

The others have made very sensible suggestions, you need to allow more time.

FormerFlyer
20th Mar 2009, 10:21
I'm all for not fannying around when I don't need to, and making each sector of a trip coincide well with the other however you have not built any fat at all into your plans.

If your trip to DUB is merely to wander the streets & have a drink then good luck with the risk. If you have a pre-determined appointment then I'd seriously reconsider timings, as has been said previously.

cheers ;)
FF

BladePilot
21st Mar 2009, 10:33
You may still have time to rearrange your travel plans, seriously recommend you do. If you make any of those connections it'll be a miracle!

andrewmcharlton
21st Mar 2009, 13:48
If you are in Rhyl go to Holyhead and jump on the Stena as a foot passenger and be in Dublin in 2 hours.

Michael SWS
23rd Apr 2009, 18:43
Don't forget to let us know whether you make your connections on Saturday...

TSR2
23rd Apr 2009, 20:31
A one day business trip on a Saturday ...... unusual to say the least, but good luck.

Michael SWS
26th Apr 2009, 17:15
C'mon, Hamburg 2K8... don't leave us in suspense!

You asked for advice on this forum and the least you can do is let us know whether you took any of that advice and whether you made those tight connections. And, apart from satisfying my curiosity, it may help others who have similar decisions to make. :)

GroundedSLF
28th Apr 2009, 13:28
He is probably still trying to get home...