PDA

View Full Version : Is my timing all wrong?

laakdown
19th Mar 2009, 15:58
I have recently got my PPL and am now ready to start a distance learning course for the ATPL's. I expect it to take me about 1 year to study and pass the exams and then I will be taking the modular route for my ME/CPL/IR so I would expect to finish the majority of my pilot training around Oct / Nov 2010.

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were in relation to my timing and the economy.
Once ive done the me/cpl/ir I will be either getting a type rating or become a CFI and im a little worried that the economy will still be in the :mad: and my licenses will become invalid before I could get a job.
Do you think its reasonable to continue with my current path but maybe delay getting a type rating after my modular stuff depending on the number of jobs out there? Or maybe people think im crazy for even studying the ATPL's right now, the threads on the economy are very doom and gloom but I feel like ive been waiting a lifetime to get the ball rolling for my CPL

Also does anyone know what are the requirements for keeping me/cpl/ir current? Is it inconvenient and difficult to keep these valid?
Thanks for all replies very much appreciated

skyhighbird
19th Mar 2009, 16:16
Hi,

I think the general consensus would be that 2010 is still a little too early - unless you also planned to buy yourself a job - but that is another argument already being discussed on other threads.

Judging by your timescales, I take it you were planning on doing your hour building during weekends whilst distance learning during the week?

Perhaps you could do the distance learning and extend it to the 18 month maximum limit rather than a year. That way you are more relaxed - there is no rush! Especially at this time. So start Distance learning in the next few months, first exam July, last exam December 2010 - 18 months from the moment you sit your first exam to the last.

Then do the CPL/ME/IR during early 2011 ready for the 2011 autumn recruitment. (we hope!)

This could give you more options rather than coming out at 2010.

Just my few cents worth!

TheBeak
19th Mar 2009, 16:17
Yes your timing is all wrong. You will be a chief flying instructor will you? Good luck with that. It couldn't be less convenient to keep your licences and ratings valid if it tried......unless you have ALOT of money. If so, go for it - why wait any longer. If, however, you are intending to borrow then do not start anywhere near now. If you are going to earn and learn then you could continue on slowly and look to come out at the beginning of 2012......at least that would be my guess at a good(ish) time. I hope you have a good idea of the costs because you speak like you don't - get an FI rating here and a TR there. It is ridiculous money so be prepared. I am sure you are. The CPL is valid for 5 years and the IR requires an annual renewal as does your medical. I believe it can be done in a suitable sim though. My advice is not to start now, do a little bit of hour building in the form of maintaining your PPL, if you MUST, do your ATPLs and then wait it out.

skyhighbird
19th Mar 2009, 16:19
The Beak - you are so bitter these days :ok:

I liked the Chief Flying Instructor bit though haha

KAG
19th Mar 2009, 16:48
The best time to do your training is during a down turn. Imagine if you had started in 2007 in the middle of the boom... You would have finished right now...
Your timing is very good.
Take your time, enjoy the avaibility of your instructors, study seriously everything (no rush, there is no job right now ;)) enjoy your training, especially if you pay for it.
The airlines could hire again in 2 months, or in 10 years. Nobody really knows. So just relax and study. You will be ready for the next hiring.