PDA

View Full Version : You Tube

vicvulcan
19th Mar 2009, 14:18
People always show off on you tube and get caught then wonder why.The bloke that crashed his nipper doing spins is back on there doing flick rolls in his "fully aerobatic" nipper.As far as I know they are not fully aerobatic and not cleared for flick rolls.Look at the g meter ! its well out of limits.This muppet will break it and kill himself then they ll all be grounded !:ugh:

Evanelpus
19th Mar 2009, 14:26
Perchance, a link?

hatzflyer
19th Mar 2009, 14:36
YouTube - joyride110309 0001 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0sPEIik0bY)

wsmempson
19th Mar 2009, 16:04
Try this one.....!

YouTube - 26 Turn Flat Spin in a Tipsy Nipper (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvbS-oHi9ro)

Aviator Gray
19th Mar 2009, 17:08
I don't think my soon to be launched YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/AviatorGray) will contain any stupidity :ok:

percy prentice
20th Mar 2009, 15:36
This muppet will break it and kill himself then they ll all be grounded

No as long as he keeps on videoing (Video quality the same as his flying) the AAIB should be able to gleen that it was the nut behind the joystick. Long may he continue to video & post his stupidity as his last ever video will then be of some use !

BackPacker
20th Mar 2009, 16:26
I don't see what you're all so worked up about. Apart from the first maneuver, which seems to be a spin with an entry speed that's too high, or a spin deliberately initiated on a 45 degree upline, I don't see anything too extreme.

It's hard to see the scale on the g-meter, particularly with the glare of the sun, but it looks like everything was well contained between -1 and +4 g. The markings on the g-meter seem to indicate that the allowed range is from -2 to +4g.

Mind you, I don't know the aerobatics limits of a Tipsy Nipper but the presence of a g-meter suggests that at least limited aerobatics are possible. That should, at the very least, mean a spin, loop, 4-point hesitation roll, barrel roll, stall turn and cuban eight. And that's exactly what he seems to be doing in the video.

Have to admit that his roll technique, particularly the rudder work during the rolls, seems to need a bit more work. But on the other hand, the camera is not pointing directy forward but is at an angle to the instrument panel. So it's really hard to tell.

Vicvulcan, are you an aerobatics pilot? What's your issue with this guy?

'Chuffer' Dandridge
20th Mar 2009, 22:18
Posting video's of your own flying strikes me as a big egotistical......

A bit like "Look at me, what an ace I am" (not)

YouTube.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Chipmunk Janie
20th Mar 2009, 23:12
Posting videos of yourself flying is no more egotistical than posting your opinions on a forum. :) And it's education, entertaining, inspirational and, even if egotism had been there, it doesn't really matter at all, does it?

stickandrudderman
20th Mar 2009, 23:14
Actually it makes me want to try a tipsy nipper! looks like great fun!

baldwyn
20th Mar 2009, 23:37
Yeah, Looks fun right up to the point where he crashes the thing :p

Blues&twos
20th Mar 2009, 23:52
I think the pilot has posted his own comments on one of the Youtube links to this video, in which he explains what he was trying to do, what he thinks he did wrong, his reasons for landing where he did, and that he didn't see the wire fence which ultimately inverted the aircraft.....

I can't comment on his skills, (or lack of) up to that point!

EDIT: And by that I mean I have no opinion, not as might be implied that I thought he was doing anything wrong.

englishal
20th Mar 2009, 23:52
I thought the same as stickandrudderman. Looks like a really fun and capable plane (despite being quite wee)....

Why post videos? Why not, unless of course you think that your videos are so boring no one would bother watching them...(I thought the video was great BTW...)

shortstripper
21st Mar 2009, 07:46
I've posted videos of myself flying G-BZLK over the last couple of years. I have two main motivations for doing so. One is that when I was converting her from a glider, I couldn't find anything similar on youtube to help inspire me, and two, I wanted to show just what fun can be had flying such a cheap LAA type. Ego? Well, I wasn't exactly a case of "look at me zooming around in this airbourne Porsche!" :p

Mind you, as youtube seem to have decided most of my soundtracks have WMG music used, many have had their sound disabled or even been removed :ugh: Spoilsports! :mad:

SS

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lvJNwMETHSY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lvJNwMETHSY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Radio check
21st Mar 2009, 11:21
I dont believe that for one second that the chap planned this event and why not capture the flight on film. I have had flights in excellent weather conditions popping into various airfields and these are the ones that keep my desire to fly fuelled, the flights that you actually say into yourself "what a fantastic day I've just had". I only wish that I had the equipment to do as he had done.
I also believe what he has shown to other flyers will be a learning to them, dont knock this chap for being honest and open.
NO, I DONT KNOW AND HAVE NEVER HEARD OF HIM and I dont fancy a Tipsy Nipper either.
Should there be other clips from him with anything simmilar then I dont suppose there will be any support posted for him.
If he had the chance again I would put money on the fact that he would totally avoid the situation at all costs.

When I view some clips YouTube - fuelling safety (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtjJKnDLfWg)
and see rules ignored especially on the ground then I actually fear for the pilot and passengers as what else is being ignored in flight.
Is it ignorance or just disregard

Does anyone know where to purchase a small camera that could be fitted out of the way with a separate recording unit and at a reasonable price.

DenhamPPL
21st Mar 2009, 14:33
Brilliant vid ShortStripper:ok:

Makes me want to take a short-strip flying course now!

Shunter
21st Mar 2009, 17:48
You miserable bastards (not shortstripper).

FYI, the nipper is +6/-3 and fully aerobatic. The spin video would have resulted in a pretty good forced landing bar the fence he clipped the gear on at the field boundary. Good on him I say, nothing irresponsible going on there whatsoever. Aerobatics requires a risk-assessment just like anything else. I suggest you moaners get back to your pipe and slippers.

hatzflyer
23rd Mar 2009, 08:19
Shunter,the Nipper is NOT fully aerobatic. It is cleared to +5 -2. It is specifically NOT cleared for flick rolls.

TipsyNipper
28th Mar 2009, 16:11
Hi All,

I have just been sent a link to this thread. I am not sure I want to become embroiled in the discussion, but need to put some light on the subject:
The Flat Spin was not intentional, it was a botched entry by holding "pro-spin" aileron for too long, linked with a rapid rudder input whilst operating with the CofG close (but not beyond) the rearward limit.
The application of normal erect spin recovery had no effect, and analysis of the effects of the controls during the flat spin led me to the use of the ailerons to break the yaw-spin couple and effect recovery.
The engine stoppage was due to an over-rich mixture, probably due to airflow disturbance over the engine cowlings during the high rate of flat rotation of the a/c.
The a/c is VW powered, and therefore does not have a starter motor, the height of recovery precluded a dive to air-start the engine.
I was not able to see the barbed wire fence that the main gear caught during the flare to land.
One of the mistakes during that flight was my aerobatic practice over unhospitable terrain (I was trying to keep the noise away from populated areas), however, up until that flight I had never suffered any indication of a possible engine stoppage during aerobatics.
The aircraft is fully aerobatic, with inverted fuel and oil systems.
The max G limits when the a/c was on a CofA was +6-4, it is now on a Permit-to-fly, so those limits have been reduced to +4-2.
The flick roll is not listed as a manouver in the operators handbook, but neither is inverted flight.
This a/c has a modified tail group, which is stronger than the original; having a conventional braced fin/rudder rather than the all moving rudder of the original.

The whole purpose of putting the 26 turn spin on youtube was to promulgate flat spin recovery techniques. This I have also tried to do via GA publications. I do not enjoy the "limelight" that it has put me under. The other videos I have published for the interest of the GA or public who wish to view them. Those of you who have suggested it is for my own ego, it is not; if you are not interested then go look at something else, it is not mandatory for you to get bored by watching my or anyone else's videos, but it is your prerogative.

I apologise for the poor video quality. The videos were originaly taken to help me de-brief my flights, not for publication.

The Nipper is a fun and cheap a/c to operate, it has very few vices, and although I have not attempted it, I think a flat spin would take deliberate actions by the use of engine power/up elevator/out-spin aileron to get it to go flat with a CofG further forward. I have now weight trimmed this a/c to have a CofG toward the front of the envelope.

For anyone wondering what is the correct flat spin recovery:
Full opposite rudder.
Full with turn aileron
Forward elevator (amount depending on type)
To accelerate recovery the use of full engine power is suggested.

I thank the supporters of the video, for those of you who have issues with me and my actions/videos: I hope the flat spin video has been of educational use to you. I have "put my hands up" to the GA world, and hope that the exposure of my occurence will go some way to making the sport a safer place.

Happy landings; health; wealth and happiness to you all.

TipsyNipper
28th Mar 2009, 16:21
Hi Radio Check,

I use a Nikon Coolpix L11 with a fabricated camera mount on the inside of the canopy fixed with suckers. The camera has a 2gb SD card which gives about 20mins of continuous video recording.

The camera mount was made from a piece of flat alloy about 6x4 inches, fitted with four large suckers and a security camera mount. The suckers and mount are from ebay. The whole lot cost me about £10 to make. Here are the links to the components:

4 SCREW THREAD WINDOW SUCKERS 43mm FOR POSTER HANGING on eBay, also, Retail Display, Retail Shop Fitting, Business, Office Industrial (end time 11-Apr-09 10:58:36 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=220359436040)

BK Metal Security Housing Mount Bracket for CCTV Camera on eBay, also, Other Security Equipment, Security Equipment, Consumer Electronics (end time 20-Apr-09 21:10:50 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BK-Metal-Security-Housing-Mount-Bracket-for-CCTV-Camera_W0QQitemZ390038952932QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CCTV?hash= item390038952932&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318 )

All the best.

TipsyNipper
28th Mar 2009, 16:33
Hi Radio Check.

The camera is a Nikon L11 on movie mode, with a 2gb SD card gives about 20mins of continuous video.

The camera mount is made from 4 large suckers from ebay:
4 SCREW THREAD WINDOW SUCKERS 43mm FOR POSTER HANGING on eBay, also, Retail Display, Retail Shop Fitting, Business, Office Industrial (end time 11-Apr-09 10:58:36 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-SCREW-THREAD-WINDOW-SUCKERS-43mm-FOR-POSTER-HANGING_W0QQitemZ220359436040QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDo main_3?hash=item220359436040&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318 )

and a mount:
BK Metal Security Housing Mount Bracket for CCTV Camera on eBay, also, Other Security Equipment, Security Equipment, Consumer Electronics (end time 20-Apr-09 21:10:50 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BK-Metal-Security-Housing-Mount-Bracket-for-CCTV-Camera_W0QQitemZ390038952932QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CCTV?hash= item390038952932&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318 )

fitted to an alloy flat sheet about 6x4 inches.

I have had no problems with the suckers coming off, and have proof loaded the kit to +6g.

All the best.

Justiciar
28th Mar 2009, 17:06
Tipsy:

Well done for publishing your point of view. Myself, I found the video, the AAIB report and other material which has been published on your spin of immense interest.

If you every look on this forum again you will find many useful contributions to all aspects of aviation. Unfortunately, you will also find alot of holier than though individuals whose flying is (of course) perfect, who never make a mistake and who can never imagine themselves learning anything from the experiences of others. They also are more than capable of reaching conclusions on air accidents and similar incidents with the bare minimum of facts and well in advance of any official report.

theflieger
29th Mar 2009, 09:25
Please check this out!!

YouTube - A nice film about the LET L-200D Morava edited to music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB7SMsbAN58)

Thanks!

englishal
29th Mar 2009, 11:41
Tipsy,

The vids were great, thanks for uploading them.

Re cameras: I use a 4kam bullet cam (www.4kam.com though their webiste seems down at the mo) and solid state recorder which I can keep in my pocket with headset mount for the cam (velcro sock). They do an "aviation package" for about 200 quid which includes everything and with 4GB SD card it can record hours of footage...and you can get various suction mounts.

As you say, great for debriefing your flights.