PDA

View Full Version : FAA to ATPL Conversion - Tests Done - now what?

Donnabryan
18th Mar 2009, 18:05
Hi All,

Just waiting on the results from the last 3 exams. Hoping for the best!

I've taken my UK Medical and with the 14 exams in hand can I be hired by anyone? I'm currently a Captain flying a Dash 8 - 200 in the states with over 1000 hours as Captain and 3500 total time - 2500 in a airline crew. Also finished a A320 type rating in December.

I understand that I have to get an IR rating but what I'm wondering is would an airline hire me and then during the sim training I'd do the IR portion? Does this happen or am I stuck spending oodles on a Dash Sim or going up in a real plane (I'm assuming it would have to be a twin)?

Shunter
18th Mar 2009, 19:32
If you already have an FAA ATP, it's easier than you make out...

1. Medical
2. Exams
3. Radio License
4. Type Rating
5. ATPL Checkride

No separate IR check required.

LASORS Section G1.5

ONCALL
18th Mar 2009, 23:45
tdk...good info. who do you fly for (regional)? am just starting out and really want to try to move to EU as soon as I get all of my JAA/FAA licenses done. I do have dual citizenship so working in EU would not be a problem. But for someone who does not live in EU...where do you start, housing, base, airline, pay etc? I am clueless. Are there any websites you can recommend to look up info on expat pilots in EU? Is the european airline market more stable than the US? Don't mean to throw all these questions at ya, thanks in advance!

Donnabryan
19th Mar 2009, 10:51
Right - So I see the story now unfloding...

I've taken a look at other posts and have seen some people mention that they DID have to go back and get the IR - I looked at LASORS and saw that it wasn't required but another fellow said that since his original rating wasn't observed by the CAA that he had to go and do it.

Get the Radio License - Easy enough

Type Rating - Find a Flight Safety Slot for the Dash 8 and a official... - what is the official term? Not CAA observer but a Training something or rather - where are they to be found? Does one schedule the sim first then find the official person or vice versa?

ATPL Checkride - Is this at the same time as the Type Rating but yet another official person that is different from the other observes? Do they both sit in? And where are they found?

So, I won't get hired by FlyBe until this is done? It would be so easy - like we do in the States - Type rides are given by the company during normal training time without cost to the pilot! You really have to be wealthy to want to work as a pilot over here! Wish there was an easy to follow checklist for navigating the system ... or is that part of the weeding out process...

INNflight
19th Mar 2009, 21:49
You are saying you were flying as a Dash 8 captain and hold a valid Airbus type rating. I can't see any reason why you would have to do the same TR again??? :ooh:

Obviously FlyBE (as you gave it as example) only flies Dash 8-400s, so not sure how much extra work you're looking for up on your -200 rating, but I'm sure that's not too much for you with experience on type, and I'm sure an airline values that very much if you flew an earlier model already.

BTW, There are tons of companies out there who pay for a pilots TR and bond them, it's just that in the recent years folks with too much cash (or big loans) got the self-funded TR thing rolling.

I'm sure with your experience plus TWO TRs on relatively common aircraft types there's no need that you have to buy one! Chin up! :}

Donnabryan
20th Mar 2009, 18:23
Dang - 4 months lead time!!??

And I thought I would be applying for a job soon...

Thanks for all the info.

The A320 type was a scholarship that I finished in November. Wish I could get some time in type though.

Cheers

AlternativeProcedure
22nd Mar 2009, 19:32
I did the same thing in february 2008, I used to fly the dash-8-1,2,300 series. I went to flightsafety paris(le bourget). They have a sim for the type and run a 5 day course. The price was 9975 us dollars at the time. Send them an email, I believe the person to speak to is Jean Jacques pinochet. Very helpfull. Obtained the JAR ATPL aswell.

Goodluck