PDA

View Full Version : What aspects of Physics and Maths would you recommend studying?

Chasegood
18th Mar 2009, 14:27
Still waiting to decide who's going to get my hard earned and bearing in mind the financial situation at the moment, I'm filling in some time by studying the basics:ugh:
What areas of Physics and Maths would you recommend to focus on to help understand what's round the corner?

high flyer 13
19th Mar 2009, 01:32
If you log on to transair website " www.transair.co.uk (http://www.transair.co.uk) " they have very helpfull cd-roms for maths and physics all you need to know for a.t.p.ls i bought the maths one which i taught was verygood to refresh my brain... studying the a.t.p.ls ground school at present doesent seem to bad, nothing that cant be learned if you want to... :O

skyhigher
19th Mar 2009, 08:55
you should be taught everything you need to know during your official studies, whether distance or full time. I would recommend not spending your hard earned cash on some CD that you use twice and cost £40! One book you might find useful and doesnt cost the earth is "maths and physics for pilots". does exactly what it says on the tin!

try amazon to find it, usually the cheapest.

skyhighbird
19th Mar 2009, 09:01
Depends what for. You will be taught everything you need to know as you go along.

If you are talking about preparation for an integrated school's testing procedure, then the 'hardest' maths question you will get is the most basic GCSE stuff (trig) and Physics is Key stage 3 - Newtons laws of motion.

Things that threw me though (still passed though) - was knowing what the top number means in the periodic table. Was it no of protons or neutrons - whatever.

Learn long division!

Hope that helps

jamie230985
20th Mar 2009, 08:30
ok things u could do with learning that will help your pilot training;

MATHS:

Triganometry
Pythagarous' theorem
quick multiplication in your head
fractions & how to re-arrange them
simple formula such as speed = distance/time

PHYSICS:
Newtons Laws
Conservation of momentum
the coanda effect
bernoulli's theorem
the magnus effect
magnatism
circuit diagrams (both series & parrallel)

If you can get your head around these you will find the PPL much easier.

check out this website as it will help you a lot:

Welcome to the free online private pilot ground school (http://www.free-online-private-pilot-ground-school.com/)

Happy landings!!

Chasegood
25th Mar 2009, 11:43
Sorry been away. Many thanks, I think there's good advice there and I'll be taking it:ok: