PDA

View Full Version : Kenya work permit

Csanad007
18th Mar 2009, 14:05
The question is simple:
Any tips and tricks on obtaining a Kenyan work permit?
What are the license conversion procedures? Prices? Or does the company that hires you take care of this?

I know it isn't an easy thing but did anybody go through it?

Thanks!

Csanad

Csanad007
18th Mar 2009, 20:44
So then for a start here's what I know, it is from the chief pilot of a Kenyan charter company. My question again at the end of the letter.

There is a shortage (or will be when the tourist business picks up again in the near future) of pilots in Kenya – BUT – and this is the reason for replying to your application, the biggest problem you will have with any company in Kenya is the issue of a work permit. This means that you will need either a Class H permit (self-employed) or a Class A permit which is obtained by a Kenyan company wishing to employ you. Either way, these permits are incredibly difficult to obtain and very expensive. Kenya has a policy of protecting its own citizens when it comes to jobs, and any company intending to employ you would have show that you are more qualified for the job than a Kenyan pilot. Unfortunately even with your experience and qualifications, it would be very hard to do this.

Without a work permit, you won’t be able to apply to convert your licences either to a Kenya Licence. They require a copy of a work permit submitted with your licence application – which only comes applicable AFTER you have passed all your conversion exams. This process can take several months to complete. All of which is time and costs with little or no chance of earning while you wait.

I don’t mean to sound so discouraging, but I think it’s only fair you know the worst of the situation before you commit yourself to the time and cost involved in getting onto the pilot employment ladder here. It’s deliberately made as difficult, long and costly as possible to discourage foreign pilots coming to work in Kenya. Which leaves local operators like ourselves with a quality pilot shortage – standards reduce in desperation, and Kenya gets an unsafe aviation reputation – and so on.

Is it really this difficult or was the chief pilot describing me a worst case scenario? Yes, I almost forgat: hour requirements, types (210, 206), ratings (MER, IR and so on)

Rat Catcher
19th Mar 2009, 00:54
The situation changes with the times but in essence getting a work permit seems to depend a lot of the time on who you know! Some people have no problem and some people have lots of problems. It is unlikely although "not impossible" that a Company would apply for a work permit for a pilot unless you had special experience (I believe an A class costs about 200,000 Kshs roughly 2500 USD, an H requires a sustantial investment or means to invest but I'm not sure of the amount).
The requirement for a work permit to get a commercial licence has been rescinded.
The post you copy is obviously from several years ago as aviation in Kenya is depressed due to the world wide credit status. This affects tourism which is a large part of Kenyan aviation and to a lesser extent the NGO world.

"but I think it’s only fair you know the worst of the situation before you commit yourself to the time and cost involved in getting onto the pilot employment ladder here"

Sounds like you were quoted the "worst case"!!

I don't think anyone really has an accurate picture of what will happen this busy season but all are hopeful! Good luck! :ok:

Csanad007
19th Mar 2009, 07:31
Actually I got this message yesterday. He is saying that there will be demand for pilots when this recession is over.

So as I thought he just depicted a worst case scenario.

Thanks Rat Catcher!

Carrier
19th Mar 2009, 15:25
Quote: “....but in essence getting a work permit seems to depend a lot of the time on who you know!”

And on how much somebody gets paid! Any company that does not want to park its planes and turn customers away will obtain the necessary work/residence permits and licence validations for expat staff. If they are hesitant about this then do not waste your time on them.

Csanad007
19th Mar 2009, 15:53
thanks that's a good advice!

LOW BURNER
19th Mar 2009, 18:28
i just got back from 2 months over there. Licence conversion test for CPL is on the second thursday of each month. Only this day. Dont miss it. It costs $200 us dollars. I dont know what your licence is like but the Kenyan exam is a lot different than the canadian one. A good deal of the questions are written in broken english and the words combined do not equal a sentance. Its multiple choice and done on a computer. You go to the Kenyan civil aviation authority to book the test. You go across the building to pay for the test at the Kenyan revenue authority. You then go back to the Aviation authority then they tell you when and where to write the test. The test is on the old airport road down a small road at the East African School of flying. Despite confirming and visiting several times to make sure i was booked for certain date they still did not have me on the list when i arrived. Had to stand in the Testing office and demand that i could write the test for one hour and refuse to leave before they allowed me to write. If you go a couple weeks ahead of time you can get a flying shool to prep you for the exam. Dont know the cost of that process though. Once you have a licence in hand some of the companies will then talk to you. The work permit is around $2000 USD. You may have to bribe someone an equal amount to actually get them to process it. It is a two year permit. If you have just finished your CPL and have 2-300 hours they may just flat out deny you the permit since there are a lot of kenyans in the same boat. You can avoid a work permit with the right company and out of country placements. PM me if you need more details. Good luck and have fun. The pay in Nairobi for an entry level pilot is roughly double what a canadian will get paid as a low timer. If you can get in you are in a great position. If nobody is willing to take you on try to convince them to let you work the ramp for a while and you will end up flying a fair bit and logging hours when they need somebody. Most kenyan pilots wont give you the time of day but a lot of the expats can be quite helpful. It will be an adventure