PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPS

sky9
17th Mar 2009, 17:14
I have a Garmin NUVI 660 car GPS that fails to acquire satellites.

This is the second Garmin product that I have owned with the same fault. Does anyone know if this is a common problem with them and any clever fixes. I have tried resetting it and also updated the software. (And I an not interested in any suggestions about putting it in a bucket of water :)

Garmin UK have quoted me about £110 for repair, I can buy a new product for that.

SyllogismCheck
18th Mar 2009, 00:32
If it's the first power up of the device or it's not been switched on for a good while/moved a considerable distance since last acquiring satellites, it may take a very long time to get a fix. Have a go at placing it in a position with a decent sky view and just leaving it, on mains power overnight if necessary. Worth a go as it may not be faulty, just confused.

Personally, I rate Garmin stuff and haven't had a faulty unit yet, even post drops from heights, being frozen, immersed in seawater, used as hammers... you get the picture. Also find I can get a fix from a cold start on one marine unit within about 30 seconds of firing it up even having crossed oceans since it last knew where it was, although this is unusual compared to most which suffer as above.

If the above fails, remember, a year's warranty means nowt. Consumer law is based on what the reasonable man might expect, ie. more than a year's service. Go back to the retailer and have it out with them for a replacement.

Bushfiva
18th Mar 2009, 03:07
Does this happen only in the car, and if so, do you have an athermic windscreen?

sitigeltfel
19th Mar 2009, 08:47
Does this happen only in the car, and if so, do you have an athermic windscreen?

I had that exact problem with my 660 in a Berlingo I have. I cured it with an external magnetic aerial from buybits.com. It cost £13.22 delivered.