PDA

View Full Version : Another low flying complaint

G&T ice n slice
17th Mar 2009, 12:34
Look chaps, this is really unfair, I'm a taxpayer you know.

Over West Cumbria, when you're running at low level north to south, with Workington on your right hand side... when you get to the Lillyhall roundabout on the A595, can you sort of hang about a bit & make a bit of noise please. I dunno - dangle the dunlops, flip out the flaps, spring up the speadbrakes & action the afterburner ???

This way I will hear you coming, be able to find my long-vision glasses & get into the backyard to get a view of you as you pass by Distington & head out over Pica

Otherwise I NEVER get to see a decent aircraft !!:{
There's one just gone over 5 mins ago & I haven't a clue what he was, just woosh, roar gone !!!

Cheers Chaps

oh dear are there ladies flying these things nowadays ??

Wee Jock McPlop
17th Mar 2009, 12:56
I've just returned to work after 2 weeks of DIY 'heaven' at home, in sunny Perthshire. Question is, where have all the FJs gone? Did anyone snot past to brighten-up my otherwise dreary chores? None, zip, zilch, absolutely the square root of bu...r all! Hint of a black (Valley/100 Sqn?) Hawk, but not exactly a fast jet in the pure sense.:E

So where were you guys? The Crieff/Comrie/Muthill area is far, far too quiet these days!

Grumpy Jock

jimgriff
17th Mar 2009, 13:04
They are all down here in sunny mid Wales. Day and night- BRILLIANT!!:ok:

Lister Noble
17th Mar 2009, 13:10
We get RAF and USAF, rotary and fixed wing here in Norfolk,brilliant stuff,esp when doing a MATZ clearance over Lakenheath.
Lister:)

sitigeltfel
17th Mar 2009, 13:54
Patrouille de France rattle my roof tiles most mornings around 9.40am. :ok:

Dog not so impressed. :uhoh:

Gainesy
17th Mar 2009, 15:27
TQ235281
Not seen anybody in daylight for a couple of weeks.:(

pr00ne
17th Mar 2009, 20:06
STOP IT you lunatics!

One of you strange folk may live near me and I do NOT want aircraft wazzing about at low level anywhere near Pr00ne towers because they are noisy......

Romeo Oscar Golf
17th Mar 2009, 20:43
(http://www.pprune.org/members/70653-pr00ne)pr00ne (http://www.pprune.org/members/70653-pr00ne)

(http://www.pprune.org/members/70653-pr00ne)

Location London? Low level mil fast jets?
You must have fogotton a lot since you left.:ok:

Double Zero
17th Mar 2009, 20:45
I attended a meeting at Dunsfold after it had been closed, with crosses on the runways, for a couple of years, and the developers with big ideas moved in.

They had a young lady with a roving mic' to take people's opinions.

As ( it seemed ) most of those present had moved in while the 'field was dormant, the general theme was " you're not going to have any of those nasty noisy aeroplane thinghies are you ?! "

Eventually I and the small group of Hawker/BAe people present had enough, and when offered the mic' I said "this airfield was built during World War 2, anyone heard of it ? It was quite a big thing at the time !

Afterwards it was the place which sent out some of this country's greatest exports - my ex-Manager ( John Farley ) had a phrase, 'UK Ltd' - a lot of NIMBY's sitting here would do well to think of that ! "

You can guess the way this was received, from the 2 groups present...

newt
17th Mar 2009, 22:56
Jet noise.................the sound of freedom!

Get me some traffic
17th Mar 2009, 23:13
The Teesside/Leeming gap is boringly quiet these days. WIHIH?

Phill
17th Mar 2009, 23:35
Well I am just disgusted. As a taxpayer also (or am I a stakeholder now?) I am tired of the same old shenanigans. Do I need to start calling the boss at Lossie?
As I have pointed out before I have two small children to try and console after each of these low level "training" sorties pass by.:{

MORE ORBITS!

Fer fecks sake, yes we know your tonka goes like a scalded cat but it's no bloody good when your over the hill n' gone by the time we hear the whoosh, kids tearing off in all directions peering through the windows trying to get a peek.

More orbits please so the little kids (and the big kid) can get a look in. :ok:

(as you head north out of Lossie, t'other side of the Moray Bowl, were that housey with the dark roof!):}

pr00ne
17th Mar 2009, 23:44
Jet noise................the sound of.............NOISE!

Romeo Oscar Golf,

London PLUS elsewhere old chap.

Coffin Dodger
18th Mar 2009, 10:11
Sadly we get next to zero direct overheads where I live nowadays either. I suspect it has something to do with far too many folk with far too much money around here having little else to do with their time than trotting around all day on assorted horses and having complained to the MOD. Any passes now are normally to either side of the village.

I recall a gorgeous and very calm summers day about fifteen years back when I was in my garden and there was a fast and low pass right above me. A few seconds, later the distinctive smell of kerosene wafted across my nostrils. Superb. :ok:

Wee Weasley Welshman
18th Mar 2009, 10:49
I'm lately putting a new roof on the house in deepest, darkest, Herefordshire. I've been pleasantly suprised by variety and frequency of passing traffic, quite a few of which have been top dead centre. I particularly enjoyed the two seat Harrier who for some reason could not have been doing more than 200kts and also the Herc with the back door open who returned our waves.

N52 13'51.42" W2 30'50.67" would be this desktop.

I could even write p155 off biggles on the barn roof if it helps identification...

WWW :ok:

Dan Gerous
18th Mar 2009, 11:30
Not seen a single frontliner in the Selkirk-Moffat valley this year! Have they cut back on the L/L training?

matkat
18th Mar 2009, 12:24
Living outside Leuchars if anybody is missing the "sound of freedom" you are welcome to sit in my back garden and sit on a sandbag:}

shobakker
18th Mar 2009, 14:06
When I were a nipper living in deepest darkest N.Norfolk it was a spotters dream. The Cold War was heating up nicely and East Anglia was the 51st state. Any time of day or night you could guarantee that the treetops would be trimmed by some low flying object, either Lightnings/Jags out of Coltishall, A10's out of Bentwaters or F1-11's or F15's out of Lakenheath. On the odd occasion you'd be treated to Canberras and the odd U-2 - and once majestically, a Blackbird came over at low speed (why N. Norfolk, I'll never know...). It was probably this exposure to noise and avgas fumes that instilled my love of aviation, so thanks to all of you who flew fast & low over Cromer - much appreciated!

Now if only some of you could do some flybys of Liverpool Airport every now & then...pretty please?!!!

The last time we had any worthwhile noise here was during the Southport Airshow when the Typhoon & F3's did a couple of low passes over the runway before dropping in for a visit. Caused all sorts of complaints with the nimbys - but brought back some fantastic childhood memories for me - and my little lad loved it too!!!!

Razor61
18th Mar 2009, 14:53
It has gone awfully quiet in Devon nowadays too.
Used to have endless amounts of Fast Jet traffic all day and night down here but it has gone 'dead' since the Shar was mothballed and St Mawgan has disappeared from RAF use. (Oh and Chivenor).

Having Yeovilton just a short hop away it is amazing how quiet it is now even from that air station. I know some are deployed but from the numerous helicopters overhead each day that used to be, it is now down to a few a week.

A few C130's each day/night and that's it and even those are sparse nowadays (Which is obvious)

Got masses of airspace to play down here, why not use it? The North Sea MDA's must be a bit overcrowded of late, with all those AARA's and TRA's around so change the scenery and come back to sunny Devon...

It's getting depressing.... :(

coley chaos
18th Mar 2009, 15:26
Get a fair amount of night time low level Hercs just above our valley West of Dorchester of a week. They head off to, or come from Honiton direction from the valleys there.

Yeovilton cabs and chinooks low level also, so cant complain really.

I keep the patio doors open to the balcony facing south and catch the noise and rush out to wave. Had the space station with shuttle just behind, go over last night... made a change!!

Coley

Romeo Oscar Golf
18th Mar 2009, 15:59
It's great to feel the enthusiasm on this thread (mostly) and for you lucky ones still doing the business.:D My wife is convinced that the occasional overflights along the Clyde and over my golf course at Helensburgh are my old mates paying a visit - but sadly not a bucc or a canberra amongst them:{
For prOOne: lucky old you. My other place is on the Algarve and there's bu**er all flying there:cool:

Out Of Trim
18th Mar 2009, 18:15
I'm a tax payer too!

So, I would like to put my order in for some fast jet activity in the Lake District during the 2nd week of May'09.

I'll have my camera ready and waiting in hopeful anticipation! :suspect:

Many Thanks.. :ok:

OOT.

Razor61
18th Mar 2009, 19:38
Coley Chaos
Yes, they fly over here pretty much every night (the hercs) on their way around the SW and Wales before they do their business on SPTA or Keevil.
Chinooks are frequent like the hercs, but at night i can't see anything but lights and not even that sometimes.

No idea the percentage but i reckon low flying in Devon is down a good 60% from 5 years ago. Sometimes i go several weeks without seeing a Fast Jet other than the Yeovilton Hawks... when before, it was everyday, all day.
I can't see the point of having OTA-H over Devon and Cornwall anymore because we no longer get any exercises down here or for that matter much low level flying other than the Hercs or a few Helos.
They opened up D-064 complex off St Mawgan a couple of years ago replacing the older danger areas but it hardly gets used, a few hawks each day controlled by a Seaking or "Freddie" and that is it.

Mr Gordon Brown has a lot to do with it no doubt... or the Devon countryside isn't as dramatic as mid Wales or the Lake District.

Tankertrashnav
18th Mar 2009, 20:01
Back in the days of the old low level route in the 60's and 70's you could pick a spot and given the right weather be guaranteed a continuous procession of everything based in the UK at the time, from Vulcans, through Buccs down to JP's. I remember taking my wife to Aysgarth Falls in the Yorkshire Dales, smack on the centreline of the route, supposedly to admire the view, but she became suspicious when every 5 - 10 minutes my gaze was turned upwards! I ended up on Victor tankers, where FL250 was considered low level, but I did once turn down the chance to go round the route in the back of a visiting B52. I didnt reckon my stomach was up to it that day, but I've been kicking myself ever since.

dead_pan
18th Mar 2009, 22:14
If you're looking for some low-level action I recommend Carmarthen Bay holiday park just west of Kidwelly. You can sit on the veranda outside the club house bar watching Hawks etc strafe & practice bomb Pembrey sands just across the estuary. Top notch entertainment for all the family.

B_Fawlty
18th Mar 2009, 22:44
So where were you guys? The Crieff/Comrie/Muthill area is far, far too quiet these days!

Strathearn is indeed these days a pale shadow of itself in the late 70s and 80s. Back then there was all sorts from Vulcans heading up into the glens, Phantoms almost every other day, a 'D' Flight Wessex from Leuchars heading off to pick up another daytripper in sandals and string vest from the top of a mountain, Harriers, Buccaneers, Hawks & Hercules (usually in pairs). About the only thing I never saw in the area from the then current inventory was the Lightning. Though I made up for that with Annual Camp as a spacey at RAF Binbrook in 1986 :ok:
Then there was all the foreign stuff: the F-111s certainly knew how to push the low flying limits. It might be considered a mildly heretical statement :eek: but in those days they certainly seemed to be the lowest (& noisiest) of all the low fliers!

kluge
19th Mar 2009, 10:50
Here's a reminder from last year's airshow in Wanaka NZ. Recommend you crank up the sound.

YouTube - F111 Official Warbirds Over Wanaka 2008 DVD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siczD0V1Yuk&feature=related)

Simply stunning. You could actually feel the heat from the "dump and burn" in the stand. Enjoy.

dead_pan
19th Mar 2009, 10:57
The only time I ever saw an F-111 jetisoning & igniting its fuel in this manner, it was in the process of crashing onto a factory car-park several miles outside Upper Heyford... Luckily no-one was injured & the crew ejected safely.

shobakker
19th Mar 2009, 15:35
One of my abiding low-level flying memories is of standing on the dam wall of a small reservoir somewhere on top of a moor in the Yorkshire Dales near Buckden, doing a spot of flyfishing. Looking down the valley I saw this F1-11 heading up the valley without a sound and it flashed overhead at minimal feet - I was then knocked over by the jet-blast and nearly fell into the water!!!!

Bloody marvellous it was!!! :ok:

Wee Jock McPlop
19th Mar 2009, 19:47
Mr Fawlty,

I'll have you know that string vests (ala Rab C) remain all the rage! Well in certain parts of Scotland they do:}

As for never seeing the mighty EE Lightning in Strathearn, that's because, (at low level) having launched from Leuchars, they would have been short of gas by the time they passed Perth westbound:E

Anything would be nice to drown out the sound of the local 'neds' in their 'modified' Corsas, Saxos and the like.

Jet noise, the sound of freedom. Neds noise, the sound of spotty-faced gits, with small k..bs - maybe that's a subject for Jet Blast?

Kind regards,

Jock

Out Of Trim
19th Mar 2009, 19:57
If you're looking for some low-level action I recommend Carmarthen Bay holiday park just west of Kidwelly. You can sit on the veranda outside the club house bar watching Hawks etc strafe & practice bomb Pembrey sands just across the estuary. Top notch entertainment for all the family.

Been there; on the range from 1982-1986.. So, I think I'll give the Holiday Park a miss!

"Clear Hot!"

Romeo Oscar Golf
19th Mar 2009, 20:32
Well done guys, right on cue a couple of Hawks, one I'm sure was in desert cam (Warton Flt Ops perhaps) just as my partner was teeing off. He spooned it, I won the hole and the beer/
Thanks for the PM's.:ok:

clicker
19th Mar 2009, 21:01
I would also love to see a few low level lads and lasses, however I think I live in a LL aviodance area (Brighton & Hove area). Although the odd jet may wander down the English channel I live in a flat looking west. (mutter, mutter)

jamier
20th Mar 2009, 12:09
Another request for some low flying over Teesside area, ive seen a few Typhoons fooling about over the river tees before and also on tuesday we had an E3D making approaches to Teesside airport. We get the odd sea king come over and chinooks but i used to watch the chinooks alot when i was fishing down the river and the odd fast jet come past so, could we please have some more.

G&T ice n slice
20th Mar 2009, 16:38
Well, yesterday (Thursday) was a really nice day, sunshine, blue skies, slight breeze...

Also quite a lot of activity over this part of West Cumberland...but although I could hear them I couldn't see them!

Although loverly blue sky above, horizontal viz was very, very hazy.

Couldn't even see the one that went over about 20:00-ish

But thanks for trying chaps !

exscribbler
21st Mar 2009, 16:49
2 Lynx and a Gazelle over my house at 1643 today!

Good to see you, boys and girls - don't forget the position: 53 32' 21.64"N 1 23' 29.64"W

Keep them interested!

gsa
23rd Mar 2009, 09:54
Someone was earning there pay! Sunday at 11Pm Chinook Low over my place.:D

jimgriff
23rd Mar 2009, 12:13
I dont beleive it!! Here too!
21.27 Z a Chinook nearly had it away with my TV ariel at 52.3810 03.9474 heading NE .:ok:
Sunday eve chaps?? Made my night- Nice one!

coley chaos
23rd Mar 2009, 13:36
To all,

Cant we all start a petition to No 10 on here, with all of us agreeing to the low,very low,ultra low level, pilot identifyingly low dicipline, needed by our brave and heroic pilots/aircrew so we can provide areas where the majority want to see this phenominan happening and therefore where the aircrew can happlily plot a route at low level without having to worry about Mrs Miggins tea room china being ever so slightly rattled as you thunder within 5 miles!!!

All else fails we should have a mass bundle in a field between the people who like it and the poo bars who dont like noise of any sort!!

Coley.

Gainesy
23rd Mar 2009, 14:28
Just heard what I thought was a Wokka, went out to wave and bugga me a Ka-26 Helix plodded over heading roughly Odiham/Farnborough wards.

ACW599
23rd Mar 2009, 15:09
>21.27 Z a Chinook nearly had it away with my TV ariel at 52.3810 03.9474 heading NE<

Interesting -- wonder whether it was the same dude that went over here at 2201? What a nice change from Squirrels 'n' Griffins, and on a Sunday too.

But there again, no RAF aircraft can or will ever find 52°43’42.24” W002°59’48.23” (N52.72840 W002.99672) or SJ 3279 1499 (OSGB36).

jimgriff
23rd Mar 2009, 15:20
ACW 599-

What were those co-ordiantes again??????:}

Cornerstone958
23rd Mar 2009, 16:23
Wokka ovver my House in Liden 1621hrs heading for Lyneham is he lost:confused:
CS

ACW599
23rd Mar 2009, 16:54
>What were those co-ordiantes again??????<

Oooh, couldn't possibly say. They're highly classified. No RAF aircraft would ever dare go near there :-) Anyway, no present-day nav kit could ever find UTM 30U 5842055.5 500221.5.

(but I keep hoping...)

coley chaos
24th Mar 2009, 08:29
Sea King crew must be reading these requests, as a Yeovilton cab came through our valley last night (19.45) very low and slow, but that was just before the space station went over again followed by two FR Aviation? aircraft in formation proceeded in a westerly direction, coming back an hour later.

I should be easy to spot on the balcony, if your looking for a heat source!

Top trumps chaps. :ok:

NutLoose
24th Mar 2009, 17:41
This will bring on a smile

BBC - Newsbeat (http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/newsbeat/newsid_7961000/7961224.stm)

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45596000/jpg/_45596188_house466300.jpg

Ahhh Kids, don't ya just love em :ok:

eng1170
24th Mar 2009, 20:47
"but that was just before the space station went over again followed by two FR Aviation? aircraft in formation proceeded in a westerly direction"

Bl**dy hell those FR Aviation Falcon's must have had some serious mod's to fly that high!!! LOL

I'll also back the need for more FJ acivity, EGPF never see's any oveshoots anymore, occasional C-130 or VC-10 med flts but nought else. Last time I saw a FJ was a pair of Tonka's diverted in en-route to Leuchars, round about this time last year! Was late leaving work and the admin office at our end of the hangar overlooks the tower and runway - Tonka departure was awesome, full reheat, 25-30ft till the "piano keys" then a ball crushing pull on the stick :ok:

I remember a childhood holiday in Jedburgh back in '84/85, never seen an F-111 at the same level as me before other than on the deck!, the noise/vibration took a chimney off the farmhouse next to our cottage - that impresses a 9 year old.

Eng

Razor61
24th Mar 2009, 23:20
Bit late i know...
but anyone having a little low fly jaunt into Devon tomorrow (wednesday) then be sure to come past Okehampton Camp, between that and the town following the A30 after 11am please, preferably below 1000ft :ok:

Hoots Mon
25th Mar 2009, 04:43
Gents,

I must agree with some of these "complaints"....imagine, if you will......

A jolly yacht sailing north along the north east coast to Sunderland Airshow. Nice weather, nice and quiet and relaxed sail, with my good self (before my flying days) standing on the deck of a yacht securing some loose ropes at the mast. Then, out of nowhere, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING instantly rattles and shakes, myself, the mast, the boat, the waves, I'm sure the fish felt it. My feet jump uncontrollably into the air, my head ducks down instinctively... I look up, eardrums howling, hands shaking, heart racing, to see a Tornado zooming past, burners on, dead overhead (mast height, 30 ft above sea level, Tornado altitude 31 ft-ish!). The RAF chap pulls into a turn and cirlces back around us. I imagine him laughing into his mask, I couldn't stop laughing and give him a huge wave in ultimate respect.:D Bravo!:ok: Better him there than in a flight simulator or behind a desk!:E

Just one complaint........there was at least another 12 inches to take off before he'd have hit my VHF aerial at the top of the mast.....now, can you Navy chaps do better?:}

P.S. 500ft rule??? Bahhhhh humbug :( .....oh, and best wishes to you all :ok: from a Civvy.

Hoots Mon
25th Mar 2009, 04:50
I said "this airfield was built during World War 2, anyone heard of it ? It was quite a big thing at the time !

.....great comment....well said! :D

BEagle
25th Mar 2009, 07:25
Summer of '76 and I had a spell as RSO at Pembrey for the day.

We had to stop activity when a yacht wandered into the danger area. It just seemed to be drifting - so I asked a Hunter in the pattern to 'investigate'. Flown by one 'Kiwi' O'M*****....:ok:

"Two people on deck", he replied.
"Doing what - the boat isn't moving", I asked
"Sh*gging!" came the reply...

A couple of lowish passes, then the chap pulled up his pants, pulled up the sail and off they went!

Only other time I had to give a 'STOP STOP STOP' was when a Jet Provost from Learning Command wandered through the range - between the target and the tip in point just after a Hunter had been cleared hot....:eek:

B_Fawlty
26th Mar 2009, 13:56
Anything would be nice to drown out the sound of the local 'neds' in their 'modified' Corsas, Saxos and the like.

Indeed Jock! Which reminds me of a low flying complaint that wasn't made back some time in the 1940s. My Great-Uncle Fred, serving with the RAF in the Middle East. Granted home leave, he intended to make his return to Strathearn one to remember. The last leg of the journey involved him hitching a flight in a Blenheim from Prestwick to Scone. This provided a chance too good to miss so the pilot was requested to go down low so they could make their presence felt. He was only too happy to oblige and they were soon whistling in from the west, resulting in startling the living daylights out of my Great-grandparents who were left face down in the fields such was their alarm. Just to make sure, they repeated the fly-by before beetling off to Scone where in some sort of prompt karmic cycle, my Uncle managed to disembark from the Blenheim in the middle of a CO's parade. Having been personally escorted from the station by the SWO, berating him all the while on an assortment of apparent shortcomings, he walked the remaining 20 miles back to my Great-Grandparents. On arrival, they rather took the carpet out from beneath his feet by refusing to acknowledge any sight or sound of an aeroplane that day, far less one at 30 feet resulting in them having had to seek shelter in a ditch :p
How I would have loved to have seen something like that! I was fortunate enough to undertake something kind of similar above the same place 40 or so years later when I was taken up in an Aerobat circa late 80s by an instructor from ATS at Scone (think he may have been ex-Vulcan pilot, P*** C****). After graciously allowing me to undertake a few loops, he went on to demonstrate some quite exhilarating aerobatics. :ok:

All the best,
Fawlty

Wee Weasley Welshman
26th Mar 2009, 17:32
Thanks to the black painted Hawk that flew right over at 14:06 bang on the coordinates for my roof. I was in the garden pacing out the new lawn. A little but lower next time maybe.. :8

N52 13'51.42" W2 30'50.67"

boguing
26th Mar 2009, 20:08
OK.

I want to complain. Nothing, nada, stufff all here 51.192N 0.327W. Far too quiet.

Groups of little red jets tend to fly over Dorking when traveling East/West and vice versa. Come further South and enjoy the scenery.

However, 1985/6 sailing back from France and about 5 miles South of the Eastern Isle of Wight, we were aware that we were in the hold area for an airshow (Southampton/Portsmouth?). Think it was a Jaguar that did a low pass over our 50' mast. I saw it coming, but didn't say anything to the rest of the hungover crew. Must have been about 200'. But I waved.

This must have done the trick, because he came back, fast and very, very low. Once again, the hungovers had no idea. Maybe 100 ft.

Thereafter we got buzzed by everything. Never had a personal airshow before or after.

Worth every penny I paid in tax. And more.

The not saying anything dated back to my best crewman and I nodding to each other at about 10.50 when on Channel crossings. Knowing that Concorde was coming. Actually it was us that jumped higher when the bang bang arrived....

Anyway, if any of you remember a trendily beige sailing boat with a red stripe, on a lovely sunny windless day, thank you thank you thank you.

Cpt_Pugwash
2nd Apr 2009, 10:39
BZ to the crew of Vortex 489 (I think it was) , crossing the A420 at Wick yesterday 16:08 local, heading southbound, working Filton Radar, ".....Navex, currently low-level ..." I'll say you were, made my day that did, but gone all too quickly.

ArthurR
2nd Apr 2009, 13:10
Don't understand what you lot are moaning about, I'm stuck here, in Dahlewitz, just out side of Berlin and the locals havn't seen a Lanc in years. At one time they used to get quite a few daily, don't know what the worlds comming to. :E

sunburst
7th Apr 2009, 17:29
A few years ago I was in a car just reaching the top of the Kirkstone Pass when we were skimmed by a Tornado, much less than 100ft! Didn't hear it coming, it just shot over us with an almighty roar. Thanks guys, very cool, but my mate nearly ran his car off the mountain.:ok:

airborne_artist
7th Apr 2009, 18:04
If the guys from the secret Oxfordshire heli-base either PM me, or wait another four weeks or so, the nags will be inside during the day and you can fly under the HT wires next to the house, not three (large) fields away. I'll happily stand you a beer in the Shepherd's Hut :ok:

NutLoose
7th Apr 2009, 18:17
Tootalling along on Sunday and this flew by, so I took a snap :cool:

http://www.skonk.net/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=861&g2_serialNumber=2

I would have posted the bigger version but thought better of it.

:p

Stitchbitch
7th Apr 2009, 21:25
Shepherd's Hut eh? I miss the place and the secret Oxon airbase..mind you, you can probably find more serviceable Merlins near here than there, and they sound better:E

DX Wombat
7th Apr 2009, 21:51
now, can you Navy chaps do better?
I shouldn't think so, their Jetstream which flew through the centre of the box at one of the BAeA's competitions last year couldn't even manage a simple aerobatic manoeuvre - most disappointing. :E

taxydual
7th Apr 2009, 21:59
Shepherds Hut!!! That wouldn't be Ewelme by any chance? 35 years have just evaporated and brought me back.

Ferd, the landlord, an ex RAF WO who hated and barred the RAF in his pub. Until Paul McGrath, RIP (ex 10 Sqn, TQF, etc) and self, 'wormed' our way into the Morlands Bitter 'Holy of Holies'and got the RAF accepted again. (Oh, and yes, I AM taking some of the credit).

Oh, the memories. First Solo, first sh*g, first adultery, first (and only) arrest. All due to the influences of the Shepherds Hut.

Bliss.

Apologies. Way off topic.:ok:

Tashy_Man
7th Apr 2009, 22:31
Where is e-goat? I am getting an error when I try to connect? Is it a system problem. Please get it sorted soon wobbly as I am having withdrawal symptoms. Hurry up................................I might have to go and get some valium from the docs if it is down much longer.:{

Xercules
8th Apr 2009, 12:17
Many years ago the Hercs practised what was called JATFor which involved 35 aircraft at low level and 30 seconds separation aimed at getting a complete Parachute Battalion onto a DZ along with its vehicles (LRovers and Trlrs) and equipment all within a very short time span.

Being such a large formation full exercises were always on a weekend and the stream was always preceded by a weather aircraft about 30 minutes in front.

During one such exercise the phone rang in Ops. All the regular staff were busy so the Staish (Freddie Yetman at the time) picked up the phone to hear some wingeing low flying complaint about an aircraft flying low over the house. He listened to the whole sorry tale, worked out the when and where and replied "Just hang around mate - there's another 35 behind it." and put the phone down.

biscuit74
8th Apr 2009, 14:34
Yep. We hardly see any low flying jets here in NE Scotland any more.

I recall when my kids were small, one especially hard turning low level chap made an impressive burst of noise. Our next door neighbour's child burst into tears and ran to Mum for comfort - we were talking to them in the garden at the time - while my daughter, 3 1/2, ran over with a huge grin on her faec, gesticulating wildly and said "Buccaneer - two mans in it", to my wife's delight ! And she was right.

air pig
8th Apr 2009, 15:49
Biscuit 74

Obviously a well brought up and educated daughter, showing taste and discernment at such an early age.

collindebe
23rd Apr 2009, 17:55
I live about half a mile from Birmingham Airport but see very little military activity these days, but if ever your doing a circuit and bump keep a very tight circuit and run down the edge of the woods North east side of airport and you will cross my house PLEASE . Anything welcome .Last one to overfly and dip its wings at about 200ft was Avro York 1980tis

pr00ne
23rd Apr 2009, 18:08
GO AWAY you noisy b**ggers!!!!!!

rogcal
24th Apr 2009, 07:15
Had a mate visit me for the first time yesterday to help me pull down the engine in my VP1.

Usual EFTS activity above but nothing fast and low to impress him with.

Come on guys, you know where I live, remote as hell, on the charts and pleasure to have my strip and house used as a turning point!

Faster, lower, noisier. That's how we like it here.:D

BEagle
24th Apr 2009, 07:49
GO AWAY you noisy b**ggers!!!!!!

Which particular 8-figure grid reference would you like them to avoid, pr00ne?

There was once an order at Lossie stating that overflight of some nearby peace-bitch camp was to avoided. The location was given with very precise co-ordinates....:E!!

Metman
24th Apr 2009, 15:04
I almost crashed my car last night thanks to a particularly low example of a C130K (couldn't tell if it was a short wheel base or a long wheel base) flying over my car on the Cullompton to Honiton road in Devon yesterday evening. Next time, please give some warning or do a couple of circuits or something so I've got time to stop the car and watch dammit!

having just bought a house on a hill in Honiton, I'm hoping to god I've not just bought a house in a low fly zone, and that I'm going to get buzzed by lots of military low flying traffic??? Please? Lots...?

bugbirdhughes
25th Apr 2009, 00:01
I live close to Merryfield we have more helicopters coming over than you can shake a stick at, my little lad loves them and always waves shouting copter ! Keep up the good work..:ok:
Bugbird

BEagle
25th Apr 2009, 07:50
bugbirdhughes, this was my 'goofing spot' at Merryfield 50+ years ago:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/goofspot.jpg

Just by the junction of Gravel Lane and Ashford Lane near the western runway threshold.

But in those days it was Vampires, Meteors, Canberras and later the Navy's Sea Hawks, Sea Venoms and the odd Gannet which this little lad used to watch!

ian16th
25th Apr 2009, 11:41

When I was there about 69-70 I spent a fortnight watching Harriers do it :)

Her indoors wasn't impressed.

bugbirdhughes
25th Apr 2009, 19:04
Hi BEagle I know that spot well ! It would be great to see some jets taking off like you used to ! There is a chap in the village here who remembers the American planes taking off during WW2 and he says that the local kids would be at the road by the end of the runway trying to jump up and touch the wheels of the planes as they took off :ok:
All the best
Bugbird

7of9
1st May 2009, 11:14
To the Guys flying Hercules XV290 'RRR673' down Doncaster Airport Runway (EX RAF Finningley) today at around 09.45am then did a left turn over IKEA at Armthorpe then headed over towards Doncaster north, next time can you fly another 2 miles north before doing the turn coz that would bring you over my house & a bit of warning too please so i can have my camera handy:D:D:D

Excellent!!! you have got the DSA (EGCN.co.uk) forum all excited.

We are presuming that you were heading to Linton for a Graduation Flypast as there seems to be a few Military passing through today?????

XV290/'RRR673'/01/05/09 :: IMG_5642.JPG :: Fotopic.Net (http://paullindley6690.fotopic.net/p57898709.html)

Chris_G
22nd Oct 2009, 19:10
Many thanks to the Typhoon pilot over Distington / Pica today for around 15 mins, must of finally seen this thread, hope G&T Ice and slice got to see it.

Wander00
23rd Oct 2009, 15:11
Metmanm, 15/16 year ago I lived in a house called Hillmount, just up the hill out of Talaton, not far from you, and every day we had low flyers over the house. My youngest son was 5-6 years of age and loved it. I now live in the southern Vendee and, guess what, I am on a low flying route. Yesterday we had a visit from a Mirage whose pilot must have a mate or family in the area, as we had almost a mini air display for 5 minutes.

Razor61
24th Oct 2009, 01:02
I almost crashed my car last night thanks to a particularly low example of a C130K (couldn't tell if it was a short wheel base or a long wheel base) flying over my car on the Cullompton to Honiton road in Devon yesterday evening. Next time, please give some warning or do a couple of circuits or something so I've got time to stop the car and watch dammit!

having just bought a house on a hill in Honiton, I'm hoping to god I've not just bought a house in a low fly zone, and that I'm going to get buzzed by lots of military low flying traffic??? Please? Lots...?

Get them round here 'very' low at Tiverton too almost nightly. Very welcome. Although getting quieter unfortunately.

Honiton is used by helicopters a lot and C-130s low level using the Honiton mast as a reference point. However don't forget the area is also under the ILS of Exeter airport.

Question for the flyers, is Honiton mast the little mast on the hill south of Honiton or are you referring to the Stockland Hill TV transmitter mast?

Beags,
Looks like you was standing near the Pikey camp? Half of which is gladly smashed up now after countless raids by the Police. But as i understand the ones still left are still causing problems for MF from time to time with their animals running on to the airfield and also green lasers and high powered torches being aimed at the Helo crews.

Chris_G
22nd Dec 2009, 19:15
Hope you saw the 3 x GR4's that were doing the best to wake us lot in west Cumbria up on 17th Dec, they hang around for about 5 mins before going on their way. Just in the off chance one of the crews read this, many thanks it was great. Please feel free to do that any time you wish. Most of the residents i spoke to saw it and were well impressed you don't have many moaners this side of the cumbria :cool::cool::cool:.

Non Emmett
23rd Dec 2009, 08:28
Low flying - I wish to complain, there is almost none here in Cornwall these days. Culldrose do their bit from time to time, especially the Jetstreams and ASaCS Sea Kings but if we don't get more in 2010 I would write to my MP though there's probably no point as he will be busy sorting out his expenses.

Good work by all accounts by the Culdrose and Chiv SAR folk helping out with the coach crash down in the Penzance area last night. Well done one and all.

gr4buddy
23rd Dec 2009, 11:31
My pleasure. A low level 2v1, a great way to finish the year.:)

Rovertime
29th Dec 2009, 23:05
Just a quick thanks to all those that have kept us 'photogs' happy this year as we clung to the side of the hills in Cumbria and Wales in all weathers! The sight of you guys and gals passing underneath us still brings a rush of adrenalin as you hove into view.

If you feel the need to get a low level sortie in after you return in the New Year, Windermere > Dunmail>Thirmlmere would be appreciated! ;)

Wishing you all a safe 2010, you are appreciated by a lot of people.:D

vecvechookattack
3rd Sep 2010, 20:16
Low-flying aircraft sparks Pendle ?999 panic? (From Lancashire Telegraph) (http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/pendle/8370616.Low_flying_aircraft_sparks_Pendle____999_panic___/?ref=rss)

The problem with the C-130 is that it has too many wings

TurningFinals
3rd Sep 2010, 20:35
Under UK regulations it is prohibited for a six-wing aircraft like the Hercules model to fly at a separation distance of under 250ft.

Since when was the Hercules a transformer?

They are strict because of the nuisance they can cause

:ugh:

neilf92
3rd Sep 2010, 20:53
Don't tell 'em about the fold away emergency rotor blades Pike :rolleyes:

sitigeltfel
3rd Sep 2010, 21:01
Under UK regulations it is prohibited for a six-wing aircraft like the HerculesIt was probably meant to read Fixed-wing, but someone misheard his Dick-tation.

SilsoeSid
3rd Sep 2010, 22:49
A big thanks to the Tiger-Mates (assumption) flying around N.Cornwall this afternoon.

There I was, riding the waves and just finished a great run off a classic roller, when I looked up and saw the Puma flying up the Camel Estuary along the beach, doors open, harnesses a'swingin', to depart up the 'New Polzeath' valley.

Loads of 'Wows', pointing and smiles from the punters on the beach. Took me back to the days of the St Mawgan exercises, (albeit I was in a Gazelle back then).

Cheers guys :D:ok:

cornish-stormrider
4th Sep 2010, 13:07
Sid, I hope you were toes for'ard and settled in to the slide - we'll have none of that shortboarder crap on here....

10' single fin noserider,size of the old Ark Royal (avec cats an 'tooms)

Glat64
1st May 2011, 16:17
Hello there, I saw your post and wondered if you could answer this question?

I live in the Vendée too, and have often wondered where the low flying Armé de L'air jets are based, that regularly scream over the top of my house? I've often thought that it might be Bordeaux, Rochefort, Saintes or Cognac-Châteaubernard, but I've only found evidence of training schools and helicopter bases at these locations... any ideas please? :)

Wander00
1st May 2011, 16:46
Glat 64 - I am in southern Vendee - I reckon the Alpha Jets are from Tours, but don't know where the rest are from. Told there is no routing system in France (worrying as I glide) and that it is all down to "see and be seen". A bit of a worry with numbers of buzzards and kites about, and I saw a lot of cranes the other week.

Halton Brat
2nd May 2011, 11:28
In a previous incarnation as a 4FTS Valley Ground School tech instructor (1983-85), I recall that a plethora of low-flying complaints were identified as relating to the solo flying activities of a particular Student. The finest Staff brains at 4FTS came up with a Cunning Plan, and QFI A**y G**ch***t was dispatched to pursue the errant youth on one his missions to terrify sundry Welsh folk & livestock. I understand that the QFI's verdict upon return was along the lines of "bloody hell, he's the boy for low-level". Subject Stude has one-way chat with CFI & normality is restored once again to rural Wales.

Anybody recall said QFI's final (retirement) 4-ship flypast/break/individual fly-by for a 4FTS Course graduation in that era? Fairly low, I thought........so, apparently did the Air Officer reviewing the course..........:D

Fox3WheresMyBanana
2nd May 2011, 11:46
Went through 4FTS in '86, and we knew we were still being followed on occasion. And still being caught. A guy on my course had a no-coffee chat. :O

Brian 48nav
2nd May 2011, 12:09
Reminds me of when my eldest was new on Jags; I got a phone call one evening, 'Dad, I'm going to be over your way tomorrow, tell Chris at The White Lion I'll take a piccie of the pub at xxxxhrs and Martin at The Bull I'll take a piccie at xxxxhrs + x mins'. Exercise carried out as planned, including beating up our house between the 2 pubs.

A few days later following the inevitable low-flying complaint, No1 Son plus hat are in the Staish's office, 'Tell your Old Man to be more careful when he's letting publicans know about your planned exploits, there's some right miserable sods lurking in pubs'. Good old Grp Capt P D'a!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
2nd May 2011, 13:11
Most amusing to be in one's country local of an evening when one of the visiting hillwalking eco-types started complaining about low flying and, on several occasions, to be able to say "that was me, actually". This was usually followed by a round of applause from the locals, and a grumpy silence from the complainant.

Brian 48nav
2nd May 2011, 14:05
Talking of being in the local; No 1 son, when back home seeing us, often had a pint bought for him in The White Lion by Gerald the builder, whose '15 minutes of fame' was that he was the actual builder who fell off his ladder when No1's Jag whizzed over the top of his head! The complainant mentioned above became very unpopular in the village!

Lightning5
2nd May 2011, 17:43
Spanish "Red Arrows" at San Javier (Murcia) doing their bit around 11 each morning. Bliss, especially as they perform next to my golf course. Golf and aero's , way to go !!!!

Wander00
2nd May 2011, 18:27
Spanish "Red Arrows" - that's an insult to the "Reds" - saw the Spanish team a few times on holidays around the Mar Menor a few years back - not that impressed.

airpolice
2nd May 2011, 19:29
Way back in the first half of the 70s, while answering the air traffic phone, as was my job, I had the pleasure of taking note of a complaint from a hotelier in North Wales who had reached the end of his rope. Most weekdays it seems, at various hours, he would be disturbed by a twin engined jet bomber rushing over the sea, aiming at the front door and only just pulling up in time to avoid the hotel. This routine would normally be done two or three times and then the jet would fade away over the hills behind the hotel.

On trying to establish exactly what aircraft this might be, I asked lots of questions and the complainer assured me he knew enough about jets to know that two holes at the front meant two engines, and it had large bombs under the wings. looking up into the bright sky he was uncertain of the colour but thought it was grey and red.

I was confident this was one of our jockeys in a Hunter, but his description of twin engines and bombs was enough for me to convince my boss that the guy was a nutter and we told the man from the hotel that we'd investigate, then filed it in the round cabinet in the corner of the office, after doing some checking.

This had no connection with a QFI who told anyone who would listen about what a terrible time his folks had when staying in a hotel on the North Wales coast earlier that summer. Mind you, the QFI was airborne at the times stated by the complainer....

Fox3WheresMyBanana
2nd May 2011, 20:58
At an airfield somewhere in Wales, late '80s. The Base has stacked on a Friday, and we were well into a beer call on the Squadron.
When the Low Flying Complaint came in, the telephonist put it through to the crewroom as we were the only people still in.
Shag puts down pint; answers
"Yes Ma'am. No, Ma'am. I'm sorry to hear that ma'am. Could you give me some details....."
..at some point she stated it was definately a Buccaneer, because of the afterburners..
"..and did it have a Red Star on the tail?"

" well think yourself f#cking lucky!" Slams phone down.

Life was so much simpler during the Cold War.

Whereisthegalley
3rd May 2011, 04:12
I am sorry, but I am trying to sleep, and someone keeps flying helicopters overhead.

Osama