Schedules
Main Bases
Type of flying
Pro's and Con's
Etc.

Gracias amigos!

joe grind
17th Mar 2009, 16:02
Is owned and operated by the Colombian Airforce.

joe grind
17th Mar 2009, 17:21
Sorry, Satena Airlines is Colombian military owned/operated.

AeroDiaz
19th Mar 2009, 02:14
You got me wondering there for a while because two guys from Spain are flying for them.

Thanks for your reply.

MDT06
19th Mar 2009, 04:08
Are they colombians? I was under the impression that you must be a Colombian citizen to fly for an airline there.

MDT

AeroDiaz
19th Mar 2009, 06:26
MDT06

I don't know how the two spaniards got the job down there. I've been reading about how to get a work permit in Colombia and it seems to be fairly easy.

And to convalidate my canadian license I only need to make the commercial written test. Well, that is what I have been told by a friend of mine, this is not confirmed yet.:bored: Any info on this would be appreciated too.

Plus, my wife is colombian:)... that might help :confused:

Hunter58
20th Mar 2009, 10:37
Yep, your wife being Colombian helps a lot. Unless, of course, you have a dark spot on your legal track record. Assuming a white sheet you can become Colombian without a lot of hassle (appart from the usual queuing).

AeroDiaz
22nd Mar 2009, 21:30
No police record... that I know of :}
So we are good to go. Just waiting for the call now ... aaand to have news from my buddy who's doing the sim check out this week.

Thanks Hunter!

MDT06
23rd Mar 2009, 07:08
What experience do you have AeroDiaz and your friend, the one doing the sim check out...PM better...

Good Luck

MDT06

AgentDenzel
28th Mar 2009, 17:21
Hey AeroDiaz,
If you get any updated info about Aires let me know or PM me, I fly in the US and I am looking to move to Colombia. Will like to get a flying job down there.

thanks.

AeroDiaz
30th Mar 2009, 02:50
Standby AgentDenzel, I'll keep you guys posted!
:ok:

Edited to add this:

- The cost of convalidating a foreign license in Colombia varies from US$1,500.00 to US$3,000.00. Is it worth it?

- No luck contacting Aires pilots.

Heading090
1st Apr 2009, 03:43
Hey guys, if you are still looking for some info about Aires, I flew for that airline, and I can give you some hints about them, just reply here...

MDT06
1st Apr 2009, 03:52
HEADING090 check PM's .....

Thank you,

MDT

Heading090
1st Apr 2009, 19:57
My first question is... what experience do you have, are you really fluent in Spanish?, do you know how much they make down there?? do you know how long it takes to convert licenses and so...? what plans do you have?? did you know that you don't get typed???? these and a lot more are the questions you need to ask your self before you waste about 3,000 USD and plus. If I can help you with more information, please reply with specific questions, I know how everything works down there.
Take care guys/girls...:ok:

MDT06
1st Apr 2009, 21:47
Done, see PM's.

MDT

Heading090
1st Apr 2009, 23:42
MDT.... I have a lot to say..see PM.

Bri85
2nd Apr 2009, 02:11
Anything you have (info wise) , youll like to share with the rest of the board... if not a pm should suffice.

nos vemos... :ok:

Heading090
2nd Apr 2009, 03:48
If you have the requirements for AV, SAT, And AEROREP, therefore you have them for Aires as well, theirs are not different at all.
You have the hours they are looking for, and the experience...http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif, I asked you that because they don't really like guys with tons of hours, they prefer guys like you, so they can polish you at their will.
your plans.... GOOD, I asked you about your plans because if your are planning to come back here, flying down there it might be a waste of time, BUT, if you are planning in staying like you said, AVIANCA is the best and should be the First option in Colombia.
For the hiring process in colombia, there is no difference than here, you should contact Recursos Humanos and ask them about their selction process...and then, everything flows at their WILL!!!!
The only Airlines that make you pay for your training out of pocket are; EasyFly, and not sure about SATENA. On the other hand, Aires makes you sign a three year bond training for 36.000.000 Col pesos (USD18,000), if you leave YOU PAY!!! and Aerorepublica is also doing the samething, I am just not sure the amount......http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/worry.gif.
Type rating... well you said you are planning to stay..so no worries man, that was if you had a different plan.
YES, you do have a lot of chances RIGHT NOW. BUT, you must prepare yourself for the interviews, they are really hard, I call it "the Astronaut selection process"http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/smile.gif. Make sure you convince them about your plans to stay in Colombia, they don't believe too much guys like us....(personnal experienced).
YES sim test..........
swiming test.... ETCbottom line, if you have the $$$ like you said, and you really want to make a living in Colombia, I wish you good luck, and always follow your dreams....

dont hesitate to ask more, I still have a lot to say!!!

AeroDiaz
2nd Apr 2009, 04:30
Thanks Heading090 for the information. This is what I was looking for to make a decision.

Happy landings!

P.S. And if you "still have more to say about Aires", don't hesitate to do so. There might be a few fellow pilots out there still thinking about this airline.

Heading090
2nd Apr 2009, 13:48
Hey guys/girls, what else do you need to know about Colombian Airlines???? post question and I 'll give ALL the real answers. The pretty and the ugly too...

Heading090
2nd Apr 2009, 14:21
1. What do you mean by astronaut's interview? Sounds scary.

Well I have been a pilot 9 years now, and I have been in all different kind of operations, and hiring process. Colombian is not different than any other Latin Americans, reason why is because in our third world country Aviation still something out of reach for a lot of people, and being a pilot is not just a job, so they treat it that way. On the begining it is hard to understand if you grew up here. They make everything harder than what actually is. BE READY!!!!

2. If you were interviewing, how would you get ready? What should I review and learn. I just finished taking my commercial test and passed. I also scored 98% in written.

AVIANCA asks for a written test (based on FAA Comm. /INST written test, plus colombian Regulations) AEROREPUBLICA ( FAA ATP written test). Aires. mmmmmmmmmm..... you never know ( they still amking their own):rolleyes:

3. Do you know who the hiring manager is? For example, what I did for Avianca was sent a basket of foods with my resume to HR. It worked, it got their attention and hopefully it will secure and interview with them. Risky, but it seems like it works.

well, that was pretty funny what you did with the basket, they need people right now and they don't really care who that is to start the selection process.

4. How many years did you flew for them and what are the likes and dislikes?

There is a lot good stuff about them, I can't tell you the ugly part of it, but I have to say that there A LOT.
Shoot for Avianca first....... (history, financial stability..etc) Aires (small airline), AEROREPUBLICA ( COPA's ), SATENA..mmmmmm consider it if you like to be treated like you are in service for the airforce:bored:

5. If I want to switch companies within Colombia later on, does not having the type affect me? I still don't understand how can you fly without the type. I was under the impression that is required, more than 12,500, but it is Colombia after all.

Colombian regulations are different than FARs, In Colombia believe it or not, you don't even need to have a Multi-engine to fly a F100 as FO. :rolleyes:, so DO NOT convert your multi engine.
Therefore you don't have to be typed to fly as a FO, they give a (HABILITACION) which means, you can serve a a Flight crew.
FARs only required to be typed if act as a PIC ina AC over 12,500 lbs.

6. Does age matter, I just turned 29.
NOT for AV, AERO, AIRs..... only for cargo companies with heavy equip.

7. Anything that I'm missing. I know there are a lot of unknowns for me. Why do you do this, I find that some pilots don't offer the info.

Because I enjoy helping others, and besides I am looking for some info in the middle east, and expect the same from them.

8. Thank you one again, your help is priceless and like I said, hopefully I will at least get to buy you a drink in the near future.

jajajaj, It would be fine.

............................................................ .............................

mustang06
2nd Apr 2009, 17:50
Before you move there and start spending money in your convalidation, there is any way that someone down there take a look at your resume and let you know if there is a solid interest in hiring you?

If somebody tell me yes we do have interest, do your convalidation and we will accept you in the selection process, then I will take the risk for sure.
Like AeroDiaz, I'm in Canada, 950 TT, 450 Multi Turbine (King Air 200), I wouldn't mind live in someplace warmer and flying a pretty good machine.
Thanks

p.s. soy sudamericano asi que no problem with the language.

Heading090
2nd Apr 2009, 20:13
Mustang,
read previous replies, I can tell you that you ONLY need 250 hours to get hired in Colombia....... ahhh and some more good stuff. But if you are concerned about you flying hours, you are good.

mustang06
2nd Apr 2009, 21:49
I'm not colombian, I'm not married to a colombian and don't have colombian licences, is there any way to talk to somebody there (chief pilot or hr) to know if they would hire me even it I'm not colombian citizen?

Heading090
2nd Apr 2009, 23:26
Mustang,
you must be Colombian, or be legal to work there. there is no other chance... sorry., do you know how much they make down in Colombia, and how long it takes to upgrade to Captain??? these are the things to consider in your case... If I were you, I would try Air Canada Jazz, they are hiring right now, I am thinking about it... but I guess we are in the same page here, I am not canadian....:= hahahahaha.

AeroDiaz
3rd Apr 2009, 02:48
This is getting interesting. A lot of people sharing information without insulting each other (just like avcanada right?). Thanks again for the interesting info HDG090.:D

And you are absolutely right. Jazz is still hiring but there are a lot of pilotos with tons of experience trying to get those jobs. (like you I guess)
You don't need to be a Canadian to fly commercially here. As far as I know some americans come up here to fly floats during the summer time. I think that the americans are allowed to live/work in Canada without a work permit or resident card for up to 6 months. Maybe you could try to get the Canadian resindent card. :confused:

Let us know when you are coming to Canada. If we can give you a hand you can count on us. We also like to help other fellow pilots like you do. Besides, Mustang06 has a very good taste for wines. :E

Now, I have a few questions:

- I don't have a Multi engine rating on my canadian license. But I do have 2,000 hrs on the Caravan. Can I get a job on the Fokker 100 in Colombia?

- As far as I know Avianca hires only pilots born in Colombia right?

- In your opinion, wich airline gives the best work conditions in Colombia.

- How long would it take to get a left seat position for the "average joe", lets say on the Dash 8?.

Saludos chavalos

Heading090
3rd Apr 2009, 03:37
This is getting interesting. A lot of people sharing information without insulting each other (just like avcanada right?). Thanks again for the interesting info HDG090.:D

No problem, Like I said, I enjoy helping others in my spare time.

And you are absolutely right. Jazz is still hiring but there are a lot of pilotos with tons of experience trying to get those jobs. (like you I guess)
You don't need to be a Canadian to fly commercially here. As far as I know some americans come up here to fly floats during the summer time. I think that the americans are allowed to live/work in Canada without a work permit or resident card for up to 6 months. Maybe you could try to get the Canadian resindent card. http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/confused.gif

Yeah I looked at the add they have, but they require canadian Pilots license, and mine is FAA, and also they said that you must have legal paperwork in order to be employeed by them.... help me out here, if you can find out more info for me ..

Let us know when you are coming to Canada. If we can give you a hand you can count on us. We also like to help other fellow pilots like you do. Besides, Mustang06 has a very good taste for wines. http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/evil.gif

hahaha, sure. I always wanted to visit some friends in Canada.:ok:

Now, I have a few questions:

- I don't have a Multi engine rating on my canadian license. But I do have 2,000 hrs on the Caravan. Can I get a job on the Fokker 100 in Colombia?

OH Yeah, Like I said, in Colombia you get hired with 250 hrs NO MULTI, ICAO level 4 english:confused:... editted by author.....
You have a lot of hours, you will be challenged during interviews.

- As far as I know Avianca hires only pilots born in Colombia right?

Negative, I have a spanish friend flying there, so for fact need to be legal...

- In your opinion, wich airline gives the best work conditions in Colombia.

All work conditions in Colombia are pretty similar, but what you should consider is... Airline history, market, and upgrade time.
Nobody has asked this one before, but here we go, FO's in average in Colombia make 3.700.000 Colombian Pesos (1,680 USD). Unless you fly for a cargo airline ( Heavy Metal)

- How long would it take to get a left seat position for the "average joe", lets say on the Dash 8?.
mmmmmmmmmmmmm..... In average..... some Airlines could take you up to 10 years!!!!, all depends on their growing rate, which it should start to slow down by now....

See you................................:ok:

MDT06
3rd Apr 2009, 04:59
Heading090,

Again, thank you very much for all the information.

What about the cargor airlines like Tampa, LanCo? Are working conditions and pay better.

MDT

Wildflyin
3rd Apr 2009, 06:52
So, how does the Colombian citizenship work? My mother is from Medellin, but I was born in the United States, would I be able to claim dual citizenship to work there?

Hunter58
3rd Apr 2009, 11:37
Wildflyin

If your mother is Colombian you could request Colombian citizenship, yes. Prepare for some queuing, some inconsistencies in documentation requested, lots of paper, but you should be able to get your citizenship.

Normally people try to find a family member with a non-colombian citizenship in order to avoid visas... :}

mustang06
3rd Apr 2009, 23:02
Heading 090

You are more than welcome to the big white north, so you say you must be colombian citizen to work down there but at the same time you mention some spanish guys working there, how is that?
Also, to work for an airline here you need to be canadian citizen or landed immigrant (permanent resident card, like a green card).
Aviation is not a wonderful thing here, lots of companies but lots of pilots too, I got a call for an interview and the company offers 19k with a 2 years bond training of 20k (if you leave you pay), working 12 to 14 hours at day, loading yourself the plane and living in a city when a one bedroom appartment cost you 1000$.
Anyway we are not talking about Canada here, lets continues with Colombia, you need or not to be colombian citizen?

Heading090
4th Apr 2009, 00:05
Mustang, and all interested,
In order to be accepted for interviewing in Colombia you must:

Be Colombian Citizen, or have a work permit ( sort of a green card in US).

AeroDiaz
4th Apr 2009, 02:51
Heading090 said,
"Yeah I looked at the add they have, but they require canadian Pilots license, and mine is FAA, and also they said that you must have legal paperwork in order to be employeed by them.... help me out here, if you can find out more info for me .."

Here you have some useful links about the license conversion:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/ge...Conversion.htm (http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/ge...Conversion.htm)
http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/ge...ac0601.htm#6_3 (http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/ge...ac0601.htm#6_3)

And check out TiredCRJDriver's post on this forum:

http://www.pprune.org/canada/306028-faa-canadian-cpl.html (http://www.pprune.org/canada/306028-faa-canadian-cpl.html)

Now, even if you don't get a job in Canada I think it is always good to have licenses from different countries. You never know when you are going to need it especially during rough times like this.

In my case, I'm trying to get the FAA CPL. (I've just sent the confirmation form) For a weird reason companies in latin america worship this license.

:ok: Bueeeeeeen dia.

mustang06
5th Apr 2009, 16:12
Heading 090

As Aerodiaz says it's very simple to convert your FAA to Canadian CPL multi ifr, the first thing you need it's to call a medical examinator for Transport Canada, there are many in the states, go to transport canada website to find the list.
Here in Montreal there is an school call air richelieu who specializes in the convertion, if you need further info please do not hesitate to ask Aerodiaz or myself.
Thanks for the good info

Mustang06

Heading090
14th Apr 2009, 15:27
Just for a general info....AVIANCA WILL NOT HIRE ANYMORE PILOTS AT THIS TIME....they might start again in Nov or Dec 2009...

AVApilot
15th Apr 2009, 18:20
OH Yeah, Like I said, in Colombia you get hired with 250 hrs NO MULTI, poor english... scary that you ride a Jet with a FO that has no idea what Torque is.. but that's the way it goes.
You have a lot of hours, you will be challenged during interviews.

Sorry Heading090 but I have to disagree with you on that, it is true, you can get hired with 250TT in Colombia, maybe even less, but no copilots have been hired by AVA that do not meet ICAO level 4 english minimums, so, Poor English?? not according to ICAO.
Sure many of the kids coming straight from flight school with just a little over 200TT may not know what torque is when they apply for the job but trust me thats what ground school is there for and that applies to all airlines here in Colombia, I flew for Satena before joining AVA and I felt very well trained in ground school and in the sim and thats satena that is not even a fourth the size of avianca, some of my friends flew for Aires and they have assured me that the training in Aires is the toughest they have gone through.
I can tell you that the training offered by AVA or Aires is some of the best out there and by that I mean some of the best in the region (as in South America).

So saying that the guy in the right seat of a F100 or a Dash8 or similar here in colombia has a poor level of english or has no idea what the instruments in front of him mean is a bit of poor judgement on your part IMHO.

My 2 cents.

MDT06
15th Apr 2009, 18:40
Welcome Back AVA pilot.

MDT

leondelfierro
15th Apr 2009, 19:52
... it might be a stupid question, but any kind of facilities or special work permit for Citizens of any Pacto Andino associated Countries?

I'm chilean Newbie... standard stuff 250TT ICAO 5 bla bla bla...and i'm starting to think it would be interesting going up there for some flying,
will i have a chance based in your knowledge of market?? mostly thinking in GA or small Airlines, Avianca sounds good, but must be a big line of experienced chaps there....

Besides it's been a while since we're getting loads of nice colombian chicas down here, so must be quite interesting above the Ecuador:E

Saludos!

Heading090
16th Apr 2009, 19:29
AVAPilot,
I have to say that you are 100 % correct, now let me express my recognition to all the pilots in Colombia, in fact I have a bunch of friends flying for all four major airlines in Colombia. I also would like to say that airline pilot training in Colombia is one of greatest around the world, and I have never had the inttention of mislead what I said.
I hope we keep this thread informative as we had it for the past 4 weeks...

Take care, keep the blue side UP!.

AeroDiaz
17th Apr 2009, 00:11
AVAPilot,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your comments.

We already know that Avianca will not be hiring in the near future but I would like to ask you a couple of questions anyway:

- Is it true that Avianca hires foreign pilots with colombian citizenship? Would a resident visa be enough to get the job while I get the citizenship?
- Could you tell us a bit about the career ladder in Avianca?
- What's the base salary for new FO's?
- Any other info, tips or advices will be very appreciated.

Thank you again,

:ok: Happy Landings.

-------------------------------------------------------------

MDT06,

Are you in Colombia my friend?. Let us know how it goes!. Good luck and smooth landings!

ilgatoh
15th May 2009, 17:08
I know some one who applied to Aires a couple of months a go ...
This guy is a young Colombian guy who has been flying in europe for 9 years 737´s 757´s and 767 he made command fairly early (with something less then than 30 years old) he was also trained as TRI type rating instructor on 737´s as this guy has been working for ACMI operators he had a world wide operative experience .

He has been there for an interview and he went all the way down to BOG (at his own $$$$) this interview was purely made by psico ladies some of them just fresh out of university .They made some ridiculous psico test one of them called WARTEC or something like that according he, this test is the NEW MODE test between hiring company´s in colombia they make this test for almost everybody (from a bank cashier, security guy with the minimum education level or a pilot?????all the same.)

Some games with cubes and so on the personal interview the started to ask everything about family friend and so on (much of this questions are NOT allowed in Europe ,they were very keen about his age and being a training captain) the last stage was a nice Polygraph (lie detector ) .

So if you have taken some money from your parents or nicking some
penny´s you automatically become a dangerous thieve or some of the tipicall teenage sins like drink and drive or sheet on you girlfriend (lie) makes you look even worst.

Be ready to tell them you debts and how many credit cards you have and how much money you have been making is your past years (all this sounds crazy for this people european captain salary on a medium size jet astronomic numbers for colombian) all he wanted is to be back to his roots and his family , all this to grand the security of the company... who is gona tell him that this information(given to an outsourced company) is not gona be past to the bad guys and used against his family......

This is ridiculous they had a guy with a good background and they just sayd to young..... they didn´t knew his age from the beginning???
They keep paying very expensive American captains to train the own ones...
And he went back to continue doing what he was doing before Flying
737-800´s .....

If you want to work in Colombia be ready for a strange CRM (Captain resource management I´m the captain you the resource I´m the manager)
Captain are very tough and they are ALLWAYS RIGHT wen it comes to some points and the company supports them most of the times .......

In my opinion Aires is NOt an serious company like AV might be they need to grow and get rid of this Regional :mad: .....

They want to play with the big ones LIKE Delta, American,Avianca, Jet Blue they shout start to thing big......or thy might be crushed ...very fast specially at this time......

so guy´s I´ll would be thinking before working in colombia.....

Heading090
17th May 2009, 17:58
Hi guys I am back, well I have to say that almost everything the last guy posted here is true, I like the joke about colombian CRM.......:E HE IS TOTALLY RIGHT ABOUT IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that was too funny.
We will see what happends with that huge risk that company is taking by leasing those 5 73 at a expensive cost....... and low traffic load....:ooh:.

take care ..... keep the blue side up!!!!

MDT06
21st May 2009, 21:49
Heading 090,

Welcome back. Thanks for all the info. right now I´m in Colombia doing the conversion.....let u know how it goes...

Take care

MDT06

Heading090
21st May 2009, 22:55
Alright, Yeah I was doing some research about airline industry in the middle east. take care, and good luck with your transition.

take care..keep the blue side up!!

AeroDiaz
24th May 2009, 21:30
MDT06

Good to hear you are already down there.:ok: It would be great to have some info about all the stuff that you need to get done for the conversion of your foreign license.

Do you already have a job offer?

Buena suerte with the señoritas also and take care. :D

MDT06
26th May 2009, 18:15
As soon as I finish the process, I´ll let you know how it works. Tomorrow Ï´ll be starting the medical.

MDT06

AgentDenzel
28th May 2009, 02:19
Doing the conversion is not the hardest thing, I was just down there 2 weeks ago and was explained how to do it. Monies you'll spend about $4000 US dollars with everything.
I did applied to Aires but was told that till I had the colombian license they wont look at my stuff. Kind of risky to spend $4000 with no job offer up front, unless MT06 situation is different.

mustang06
30th May 2009, 00:18
AgentDenzel:

Are you a colombian citizen or resident?

AgentDenzel
31st May 2009, 16:37
Born and raised baby! Where the best looking woman are........been in the states only 15 years.

mustang06
31st May 2009, 23:40
''Where the best looking woman are''

if you say that I believe you. Did you have the chance to fly in the states?, it's ridiculous how low salaries are for the entry level in north america. Good luck with Aires.

the mustang.

AgentDenzel
1st Jun 2009, 01:48
Actually my whole flying career has been in the states, from airlines, corporate to fractional. Now I am looking to move back to my country, and that is why I am trying with Aires. I talked several capts down there and they say that the company is growing but they need a lot more organization with everything including the hiring process. You will also need to convert your license first before you apply. This has me thinking a lot because is a $4000 and up investment with no job offer, is kind of risky. I think Avianca is the only airline that will hire you without your license, then you'll get time to do the convertion already with a job offer.

mustang06
1st Jun 2009, 22:03
AgentDenzel

You know if Avianca has hired non colombian pilots before?
I'm from latin america but not a colombian unfortunately.
thanks

AVApilot
2nd Jun 2009, 05:48
Mustang,

Avianca has indeed hired a few foreign copilots not too long ago, we currently have a couple of venezuelans, an argentinian and a spaniard, and a some other guys but I don´t remember their nationalities, colombian regulations require that the captain of the airplane be of colombian citizenship but not the copilot, and I heard this from one of the venezuelans I mentioned before, I honestly did not know of such regulation but I´ll take his word since he is the one that has to know how the local rules apply to him.

Jc.

allatp
3rd Jun 2009, 06:14
The "RAC" (Colombian Aeronautical Rules), and the "Commerce Code" require all captains to be Colombian citizens.

Cheers!!!!!!

AA

Heading090
3rd Jun 2009, 14:44
:sad:... amazing!!!

mustang06
3rd Jun 2009, 21:36
thanks for your response guys.

Pilocol
4th Jun 2009, 13:15
Let's see if I get it right.
The Capt. has to be a citizen, but not the F/O ...
Having said that, if you are the F/O and you are not a Citizen, NO chance for an up-grade, since you are not a Colombian Citizen....:yuk: sucks doesn't it???
Started with the Colombian licence, got up to (PTL) ATP and then went to the US got my FAA ATP and started flying around the World, (You can see where I am now) :ok: tryed all the Colombian Airlines a couple of years ago and to be honest with you all ... not worth it.

Go down the road and shake a tree and just about 10 pilots will fall off, the schools over there a spiting out pilots quicker that you can say "Minimuns"

Salaries are not the best, conditions scarce, and you have to fight your way up with a lot of cousins, sons, nephews and the rest of the family members of the Capt.

Avianca is the best so far, no doubt about the training and the proficiency of the crews, (Hats off) and that is because of the kind of training you get in Colombia (single pilot IFR).
If the tests are hard is because they look for the best.
One thing I learn very early ... be a one pilot crew even if you have help, you never know when the guy on the right is going to go ... :eek: ... what???

Honestly DO NOT think they will put you on the right seat with 200 t.t. and no English :=... have a friend that had to spend 200 hours just looking at the crew flying from the jump seat before he got to touch the controls ... too little time, but a Captain's friend.

Well, just had to vent my soul, had been reading this thread for some time and made me feel home-sick ... just for a second though ..

Nice time and keep it safe.

Pilocol

Heading090
6th Jun 2009, 00:17
finally somebody made to his alternate!!!

f1pilot
10th Jun 2009, 17:48
hi all of you!
i been always so interested specialy lately to go back to colombia and work as a pilot (big childhood dream)but i dont really know what i need and how can i make it there.... im colombian and grew up in bogota, left in the year 2000 to Australia, now i got an aussie citizenship (yay!) i got ATP with MEIFR around 1500TT, 1300TT(PIC) part of that like 450 Multi(PIC) mostly my multi in PA31's and BE58's also few on the PA34(but no jet or turbine time whatsoever) anyways here it is a bit different path to make to an airline ; you have to spend at least 5-6 years battleing on GA without touching even a turbo-prop heaps of time on singles like C210's or C206's moving to light piston twins BE58 or C310 then in the "cabins" where i am now up 2 on C402's or PA31's( i been a working as a commercial pilot since 05) and after a big biiiiiiiiiiiiiig while on those maybe jump onto a king air (single pilot still) or metro(sometimes multicrew) ,then if you lucky onto a dash8 or a SAABB 340 and then you can knock few airlines doors...(corporate stuff its out of the reach asking some ridiculous time like 5000 TT PIC on turbines)all because there is alot of work here for piston aircraft ,anyways i dunno how hard will be to change my license to colombian and will i need to go for a check ride or a test flight before ill get it issue??..also because i dont have jet or any turbine time will be against me on an recruitment process??i meet on msn a pilot from cali just finishing his CPL and my impression of things were that he had not much knowledge of basic things like leaning a mixture or that in his xcountrys "solos" hes always got an instructor next to him and they cant fly without around being in company of other aircraft of the school... i though that was a bit odd but having said that the colombian wx and landscape its very very different than here in australia where pretty much evrywhere its flat and at sea level....but also he had a very good knowledge of IF procedures which i was very impressed to hear... also how much an FO on a turboprop and in a jet gets? here in australia the interwiews are very technical (because u gotta have at least all the theory passes on atpl's which are very technical and hard compare with europe and usa) in the interviews they will ask you evrything about the plane you are flying ATM and also about theirs( a/c speeds,IFR procedures,emergency procedures,steps for climbing gradients one eng inop. etc etc) followed by a psicometric exam with a sim ride and finish with the interwiew ... anyway i think i got a bit side track:eek: last year was very crazy here and instead of 1 out 50 ppl making it they were hiring almost evryone lowering their minimuns,and hiring also piston guys, but late last year with the bloody economic crisis all came to a halt and i just missed out to apply because i didn't have my ATPL,in the other hand after all this years i always wondered to fly in my country and to live again there(indefinently)..... also it is worth it to send my resume from here and if it is do i have to send it in spanish or can i send it in english(also here they hate sending resumes that are bigger than one page!!! or they more relaxed about those things over there?? )anyway ill be happy also to answer any other ppls questions about here and help... also for you mr.heading i got a friend at golf air based in bahrain and i could ask him some info on the middle east scenery but i got the fealing that should be ok if you got jet and multicrew experience like i think you have at least for a FO position.....

anyway if anyone could plz answer me will be so great .

gracias!!!!!!!! chaolin!

Heading090
10th Jun 2009, 22:31
AMAZING, now everyone is feeling the need to return to their country, and for those not born in Colombia, now you are interested.!!!.. wow.
How things change ah???

Well, colleague F1pilot, I wish you good luck, and thank you for that info about gulfair. I suggest you to read form the beggining of this thread, it is well explained.

Good luck,

Keep the blue side Up!!!

Pilocol
11th Jun 2009, 09:51
OK, Heading090 ...
Here it is .. or better here they are ...

I have about 10.000 T.T. about 3.500 jet PIC, flown all over the world ...
Very loyal employee, 3 jobs in the past 25 years ...8 years so far in this one ..
3 languages fluent and another 2 kinda 1/2 ... been chief pilot of companies with more that a dozen pilots .... not to brag, but I could be a very good asset for any Airline ... still have about 15 years of service ... so ...
Can I get a job with Aires ???
What would the salary be ???
and finaly ...
Can I count on a Left seat place in the next 2 years ??
That's all from my side ..

Thanks in advance and take care ...

Keep it safe ... :ok:

Pilocol.

Heading090
11th Jun 2009, 14:34
Hi Pilocol,
just by reading what you posted last week, I can tell you are more knowledgeable how thing are handled in the Colombian Airlines. I just wish you good luck.
ps: That's a lot of experience.... :ok:

Keep the blue side up!!!

Pilocol
11th Jun 2009, 19:25
Well I'm honestly not looking to get a job back in Colombia, just wondering if someone with the experience that I have may be able to get a job back in the country ...
It is not easy over there for some very specific reasons ...
1-There are not a lot of airlines.(No need for more)
2-Being a pilot is consider a very good job there.(according to Colombian standards, hence the ones that have the job don't want to leave it)
3-When one of the few airlines open doors for new candidates to apply for the one or two seats available, because there was a retirement, the family members get them ... that is normal ... and the problem is that since there are not that many seats, the possibilities of someone from the outside getting one are very slim ....

Not criticizing the Colombian Airline's system, and it is normal for the airlines to take family members from the already employed, the problem is the amount of jobs available .. nothing more nothing less ...

For the ones applying, good luck, for the ones that would like to do it, make sure you have someone IN to push for you.
On what regards standards, they are very, very good in did, I put my family on an Avianca, Aires ... etc, flight any day ... professionals to the max, and that is because you have the most demanding terrain, weather, approaches, radio-aids, ATC and conditions in the world, believe me I flew for 14 years there and ...not jets ...

Wish all good luck ....
Just to let you guys know, I'm in Corporate now ... having a blast going all over the world with a fantastic airplane ...

Keep it safe ...:ok:

Pilocol

Airliner777
16th Jun 2009, 13:36
"The "RAC" (Colombian Aeronautical Rules), and the "Commerce Code" require all captains to be Colombian citizens."

In other words, a pilot still has the chance to get hired by a Colombian carrier as an F/O even if not being a Colombian Citizen or Resident? Does anyone knows how the process runs? Can a specific airline establish a standard of hiring only "local" pilots or does the rule applies of all of them in Colombia?

In case you might be interested, I called AeroClub in Bogota last month and they told me they do FAA-to-Colombian license conversions for around 5,000,000 COP (aprox $2,500 USD).

Regards!
Airliner777

AeroDiaz
17th Jun 2009, 00:19
Greetings Airliner 777,

That´s a lot of money for a license conversion!. I did the convalidation of my Canadian CPL-IR in Nicaragua for around US $500.00. And some guys from Spain spent around the same amount as well.

I think that for a colombian citizen who wants to fly commercially back home might be worth it (?), but that is not my case. :hmm:

The thing that changed my mind about moving to Colombia is the fact that I would be flying as co-pilot for the rest of my career.:uhoh:
I don´t know about you guys but I want to retire from the left seat.

Thanks for the numbers Airliner!

Salud! :ok:

AgentDenzel
17th Jun 2009, 06:39
Keep in mind that if you are granted an interview after spending $2500 to $4000 USD for the conversion, your competition will be former airline guys that use to fly for Avianca, Aces or Sam and are now in the middle east. But because of contract terminations or just things not working out, they are returning home and find themselves looking for a job back where they first started. All they have to do is call uncle Mario which is friend's with the nephew's brother's sister's cousin that can walk his/her resume and no questions ask.
Had a friend that went thru this crap with AeroRepublica and out of the 6 interview 4 came from some overseas flying. Things didn't work out for them. The other 2 were my buddy and another guy. Now the funny part of the story was that they failed my friend because his english test........Funny ahh!!! he just came from the states to do this, in fact he just converted his FAA to their license.......ahh and he's lived in the states for over 24 years and speaks perfect english.

Heading090
17th Jun 2009, 16:59
Agentdenzel,
I am sorry to hear that about your buddy, but the hiring process there is not clear nor fair at all. On the other hand I have to disagree with you on who si actually applying for those jobs, about 85% of the potential airline pilots are just brand new with Zero experience pilots, basically out of school. a lot of those ex Aces and others, would never leave their current contract to fly as a FO and making only $2,000 USD at max.

Take care guys, keep the blue side up!!!:ok:

DashDENVERpilot
22nd Jun 2009, 18:59
Hi everybody!! I am looking for some information about Avianca or Aires. I want to know first if they are hiring and if so, how is the hiring process, what I need to do to work in any of this places, how much money they pay? how long it takes to upgrade and pretty much the whole quality of Life? do they hire DECs? and how hard is to become a Line check airman or flight SIM/IOE Flight instructor. this is my background....
I was born and raised in Bogota Colombia so I have dual citizenship "american and Colombian" I speak perfect spanish too. I actually took some flight lesons back in 1995 with IVIETA a flight school by 'el centro commercial el dorado" but the fliying was done out of the Ibague Airport; but I never finished my Colombian priate; instead when i was 17 I came back to the states to finish my staff here. Currently I hold a FAA ATP with a DASh 8 type and a CRJ type I still have my CFI, CFII and AGI licenses. I have 7000 TT, 5500 multi, 4000 turboprop from DCH-8, Caravan, Metroliner and King-air 200 and 500 CRJ jet time. about 2500 Part 121 PIC and 1500 part 135 PIC. and about 1000 SIC. I was a flight instructor for about a year and a half too. I have a degree in Aviation from embry Riddle aeronautical University.
The regional airline I fly for here in the U.S. is downsizing and they will be downgrading me at the end of the year to CRJ FO, so I think since Avianca is growing this might be a unique opportunity. My uncle is a MD80 Capt there and he says they are buying many planes this year. and since Aires flies Dash 8s I might get a better chance there??. Thanks in advance!!

Heading090
23rd Jun 2009, 15:56
Hey Dash...

I suggest you two things,
1. talk to your uncle, he has all the real insights about Avianca, and plus you have a connection ( you are in )
2. read from the beggining of this thread is pretty well informative.
3. it take about 13 years to make it as capt in Avianca. :=

take care, if I were you... I would think about it more.

Take care....

AeroDiaz
23rd Jun 2009, 22:39
Denver Pilot,

With all the experience that you have you can get a very good gig in the middle east... yeah I know that sucks to spend some years of your life in the "sand box"... but anyways. I would say that it depends on what you are looking for:
- Money?,
- Or to make the dream of flying in your home country come true? (Which I did and I don´t regret)

If your uncle can get you a left seat job in little or no time, I´d say GO!.

There´s nothing like the status of a pilot who flies for a major airline in Latin America!....;) You know what I mean!.

Take care amigo!

DÍAZ

Heading090
24th Jun 2009, 01:48
There is no way that a connection can put you on the left seat in Avianca.... unless your connection is Mr. Fabio Villegas, or in fact Mr. German Efromovich.:sad:

take care....!!!

AeroDiaz
24th Jun 2009, 03:24
Quoting HDG090:
...unless your connection is Mr. Fabio Villegas, or in fact Mr. German Efromovich.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/puppy_dog_eyes.gif...

Maybe one of them is HIS uncle!... GOSH HDG090!!!, what is wrong with you lately!?!?. :ugh: Be nice to the guy, apologize, wish him good luck and maybe he´ll help you out. You never know.

DÍAZ

P.S. CHILL!!!

:E

allatp
24th Jun 2009, 07:33
DashDenver.
With the experience you have, you could get a DEC position in AIRES. They are looking for captains for the Dash 8s, since the DHC8 captains are being upgraded to de B737s.

Cheers!!!!

AA

Heading090
24th Jun 2009, 14:00
ahhahahah, I am chilling here, I am just trying to be really honest to you guys, of course I wish everybody the best, but if someone here is seeking opinions comming from experience, then you will have it.
NO SURPRISES.!!!

Take care......!!!!:ok:

Master Red Cylinder
24th Jun 2009, 16:38
No DECs in Avianca I am told... even ex pilots trying to get back into AVA would start at the bottom of the heap...again! it the way their seniority works....a long line from 1 to 600 or so. you fly FO from small to big then Capt from small to big...then retire if you make it. This comes from a friend that works there.

That type of experience you´d be wasting your time in colombia...sorry. Id look East! Or maybe some crop sprayng for anti narcotics? they pay reasonably well.
MRC:ok:

AVApilot
30th Jun 2009, 18:59
Dash,

Stay in america, avianca won´t be hiring for the rest of 2009, maybe in 2010 but we have to wait and see, you have a lot of experience you´d be wasting you time in the right seat of a Fk50, like everyone else has said look east or look into Aires, I have heard of DEC´s there but not in AVA, that will never happen, ACDAC (colombian version of ALPA) will never allow it, even efromovich himself can´t make it happen, what´s your uncle´s name?? maybe I've flown with him.

Cheers.

Jc.

AgentDenzel
1st Jul 2009, 05:18
dashDENVERpilot
Not to say my luck is like yours to discourage you or anything like that but in my case I tried the DEC’S at Aires and it didn’t work, I know Capt friend there that tried to help me but for some reason my stuff got lost in the system and they couldn’t find it. I sent it again and took them two weeks to reply (we are reviewing your application and will call you when we have an opening for you). I said it before and was told by several Captains down there as well, they are very much disorganized with the whole hiring process, so maybe you luck is better than mine. Also remember that you must do a license conversion before you apply, otherwise they probably will not even look at your stuff. You will spend about anywhere between $2500 to $4000 dollars to do everything depending on the school you go to and how quick they are with the overall process. After all this, you still don’t know if you are going to be granted an interview or not…….. I say stay in touch with your uncle, that is close family and sadly enough is the only way things roll in Colombia.
BTW my qualifications are FAA ATP CFII, MEI 6000 TT, 4000 PIC, 2500Turbine, 1500 Turboprop, 1000Jet 500 PIC Jet, Types 737, and GV. I am currently looking at some stuff in the Middle East.

Lab Erinto
10th Jul 2009, 01:51
There are varying realities, depending on your point of view, heres mine:

AVA is a growing, strong airline, with lots of history and xperience, BUT:

The work culture is one of the 1950´s (or in some cases before).
many Captains today treat FOs the way there were treated back in the days CRM was not born yet
They beleive they (Captains) invented aviation (and CRM), and work with that attitude...its sucks as an FO, FA, or mechanic. Its actually quite sad to see how the need for work makes people take any crap they are thrown.

Sure the social "status" in latin america pilots are given is high, but it does not mean anything if its a torture going 9 hours flying a day with a d/(&%$head on your left side.

Company does not have a bidding system. You can ask for particular flight or off days, but somehow only SOME people ALWAYS get them...

Holidays? a joke (they owe me years worth), plus if you have family, forget sharing your time off with them...you cant really ask for holidays, you are assigned holidays whenever they want...like it or not...so much for the fantastic tickets you get. NOT.

If you are not in the club...your no one! and the money and retirement fund scheme...HAHHAHAHA!

And sorry to say this is the best in COlombia. You guys in the US, Europe... id strongly consider your options before wasting time here

Obviously I m looking at getting the hellout of here, or doing something else...

Heading090
10th Jul 2009, 23:30
Hey Lab Erinto,
I feel your frustration, and I know exactly what you are going through.... but remember, for a lot of those guys is just about pride !!!
I just hope you can get the hell out of there, but in the meantime, at least you are flying, and building experience. I know that having a A320SIC is good for nothing in a different country other Colombia, but I can't enforce it enough....YOU are flying!!!!!!!

Check your PM.

Keep the blue side up...:ok:

WELCOME TO THIS FORUM!!!! HAHAHAHA

Master Red Cylinder
14th Jul 2009, 13:51
Hi Lab Erinto

I have a close friend there, and can second what you are saying. Hopefully things will get organised in the future (near future) because it does create frustration. Hang on, a good wave will come again if you are looking at moving!!

MRC

f1pilot
7th Dec 2009, 14:49
it's being a while since my last post but here we go! I'll be arriving sometime before Xmas in Bogotá(can't wait) all looking OK but i still having problems with the certification of my logbook I'm still don't know if its OK just to get an apostille certification on it or i actually have to somehow get every company i had work for (very unlikely) to sign for every single hr i have log in the past? around 1600 hrs... does anyone knows how is the logbook check process and if i only get my diplomas and the logbook apostille with liscence and medical OK? and also if i have to get the syllabus of the Australian cpl certified and with an apostille ? if any one could really light this thing for me will be great thank you so much!

FlyingKiiwii
18th Apr 2011, 23:47
Hey guys, clearly it has been a while since this thread has had some activity, but I'm curious (if anyone is still out there) of the current situation in Colombia, I have a girlfriend from Colombia and jobs are scarce for low hour pilots down here. My Spanish isn't amazing, but it's definitely on the up. Any info on current hiring statuses for the airlines or even smaller companies if anyone has something.
Cheers :ok:
Kiiwii

jsfboat
30th Apr 2011, 00:35
I'm flight instructing in Florida and also have a GF in Colombia I'd like to be near, not marry yet, but be near. 700TT 50 Multi and am getting bored with flight instructing.

MDT06
9th May 2011, 01:15
jsfboat,

Are you Colombian? If you are not Colombian, you have an uphill battle. When I decided to come here, the first thing I was asked was weather I had a Colombian passport or not? It is a requirement for most airlines.

MDT06

MD83FO
14th May 2011, 11:32
Any idea if Aires/LAN will require 320 rated piiots? Or will they first train aires pilots on the new type. Thanks

MDT06
15th May 2011, 21:43
Aires is actually letting go some pilots. I'm sure LAN will hire, but not in the near future.

MDT06

BoeingDreamer
31st May 2011, 22:58
Is it sufficient to be married to a Colombian to get a chance of a job in Colombia? My wife is from Colombia, and wouldn't mind moving back to Colombia.

And if possible what has to be done to be able to apply, and will one stand a chance with low hours?

I am currently JAA fATPL. Any advice much appreciated, thanks.