PDA

View Full Version : GA Access to Manchester?

Okavango
16th Mar 2009, 20:11
Hi. What is access like to Manchester Airport (not Barton) for General Aviation and in particular helicopters?

anonythemouse
16th Mar 2009, 20:22
I've been in there in a helo and it was no problem, my question would be why? Do you really need to go to MIA? A lot more expensive, a lot busier and more chance of ending p at the back of the queue.

Okavango
16th Mar 2009, 22:59
Yes - potentially need to get in there to be dropped off to catch a flight. What are the landing fees?

Chopper Doc
17th Mar 2009, 10:55
Pooleys says the fee is on application. So think 3 figures at least.

Sir Niall Dementia
17th Mar 2009, 11:34
Handling is mandatory. I use Ocean Sky when I go there and the service is excellent. Expect landing fees between £50 and £150 (medium twin)depending on whether you go in at peak or off peak times. handling around £150 and passenger charges of around £10 a head. Do read up on the procedures so that you know exactly what is what.

EESDL
17th Mar 2009, 12:22
fees always end up being in 400-500 quid region.
if cost is an issue (don't you love that phrase?) - you can still land elsewhere and suffer a short taxi ride.......

Squadgy
20th Mar 2009, 13:57
If you are catching a commercial flight be aware that the GA handling facility (Ocean Skies), is remote from the terminals. It is a courtesy car/ taxi ride away (about 10mins).

Outside of rush hour you would be able to do Barton - Manchester in a cab in about 20mins and save a packet on the landing/ handling.:ok:

ShyTorque
20th Mar 2009, 19:34
I fly in there a few times a year to pick up/drop off. I agree with the advice to consider using Barton instead plus a local taxi. You might be held in an orbit for ten minutes to cross to the western side and as already mentioned, it's another ten minutes drive to the terminal.