PDA

View Full Version : Dick Smith 65th Birthday

Jabawocky
16th Mar 2009, 11:58
Just saw on GNW its Dick's 65th on Wednesday the 18th of March!

Now I know he cops a bit of stick on here at times and I do not agree with all he says either, but he is a passionate supporter of aviation in Oz.

So happy birthday Dick http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/beer3.gif

J:ok:

A Comfy Chair
16th Mar 2009, 12:22
Happy Birthday Dick!

Thank you for your ongoing passion for aviation in Australia.

Make sure you have a great one!

A Comfy Chair.

mcgrath50
16th Mar 2009, 20:08
As with the above, misguided passion is better than none, at least Aviation is kept in the media spotlight a bit!

Your a good man, Have a Jar of the 'Aussie' Vegemite on me.

Buster Hyman
16th Mar 2009, 20:54
65? Crikey! Does this mean you need to stop flying? :p

Happy Birthday Dick.....sorry....HAPPY BIRTHDAY DICK!!!

Atlas Shrugged
16th Mar 2009, 20:59
Well bugger me, it's my Mums birthday tomorrow too, she's 81 and only has a few marbles left as well.................amazing coincidence ;)

Happy Birthday Dick and Mum

Lineboy4life
16th Mar 2009, 21:20
Happy Birthday Mr Smith - and keep fighting the good fight (well your fight anyways!!!) :ok:

Zoomy
16th Mar 2009, 21:42
Happy Birthday Dick.:)

Dick Smith
16th Mar 2009, 21:49
Thanks for the greetings but how about some expensive presents? Pse send them to DS "Bowylie" Gundaroo NSW.

The presents can be landed on the strip. Pref Avtur powered as I have no Avgas.

A BBJ would be good.

By the way, I still believe Australia can earn millions of extra export dollars by becoming the world leader in flight training and recreational aviation. We just need a vision and a plan!

And to get our industry booming again we have to concentrate on removing all regs which add to cost but not to safety in a cost effective way.

Buster Hyman
16th Mar 2009, 21:56
:D Atta boy Dick. I can just see them struggling to put a lid on yer coffin as you just make one last point about airspace!!;):p

Mr Milk
16th Mar 2009, 22:48
Happy Birthday Dick!

Couldn't agree more, however the powers that be might have something to say about it....We couldn't possibly have any more flying in such a small country with no places to land or interesting things to see....Where the bloody hell are ya?

Keep at them Dick i know of many people who support yout ideas- even if they dont patrol the intelligent domain that is PPRUNE.

Freewheel
16th Mar 2009, 22:54
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DICK!

Vision and a plan. When left in the hands of politicians, not a chance!

E&H
16th Mar 2009, 23:05
Yeah...HAPPY BIRTHDAY DICK!!!

Skystar320
16th Mar 2009, 23:34
Happy Birthday to the BIG DICK!

rotaryman
16th Mar 2009, 23:37
A Very Happy Birthday Dick....

Have a great Day with hopes of many more to come, keep up the good work Champ!! your a ledgend!:D

sms777
17th Mar 2009, 00:12
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR. SMITH!! :D

You have been out of the limelight lately.... Are you up to something to suprise us all again.
How about putting up a party and invite all of your fellow aussie ppruners. I am sure your property can accomodate most of us. I promise to bring you a present. ;)

Be sure to put Jaba on top of your list :p

Chief Erwin
17th Mar 2009, 00:26
have a good one dick :)
My BBJ is busy ATM so maybe next year:ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
17th Mar 2009, 00:37
YEP!

H A P P Y B I R T H D A Y D I C K!!!

I hope you do have a very nice and fulfilling day.

( And, thanks again for the redundo....
THAT was also like a good birthday pressie....):ok::ok:

Now....about this NAS.....:eek:

An 'old, retired, ex FSO'.............

tmpffisch
17th Mar 2009, 00:58
Happy Birthday Dick.

Hope you have a great one!

flog
17th Mar 2009, 01:00
Have a great brithday Dick.

Cheers,
Flog.

rioncentu
17th Mar 2009, 01:02
Happy Birthday Dick.

Keep up the great work.

And equally as impressive a result is so far 19 posts without one negative post.

PPrune would be great if we could keep it this way.

Cheers

tail wheel
17th Mar 2009, 01:25
And the Mods would be exceedingly happy if every Dick Smith thread went to "19 posts without one negative post." :ok:

Dick.

By the way, I still believe Australia can earn millions of extra export dollars by becoming the world leader in flight training and recreational aviation. We just need a vision and a plan!

Of course you are correct. :ok: But honestly, have you ever known any Australian Minister for Transport or CASA Director to have "a vision and a plan"? :{

You've certainly caused some real headaches and brought out the worst in some, the best in others, but you have always been an avid contributor to these forums - 1,425 posts since 13 May 2002, including the odd banning and thread restriction. You are a passionate aviator and have certainly never been shy of publicly expressing your opinions!

PPRuNe Dunnunda has probably been the better for your presence. Mostly. Well, occasionally perhaps? :hmm:

Best wishes to yourself and your family for your birthday tomorrow.

:ok: :}

Tail Wheel

BPA
17th Mar 2009, 02:58
Happy birthday Dick.

VH-XXX
17th Mar 2009, 02:59
Happy Birthday Dick and best wishes with the dream of affordable aviation without so much red tape. Am looking forward to the day when we achieve this.

UnderneathTheRadar
17th Mar 2009, 03:01
Hey Dick,

Even Airservices Australia got you a present:

YMAV
NOTAM C0103/09
CTR/CTA CLASS C AIRSPACE AND TOWER ACT 2000-0900 DAILY
FROM 03 160113 TO 04 040900

Dunno why but it's a start!

UTR

Hempy
17th Mar 2009, 03:26
Happy Birthday Dick, I'm sorry I -225'd you that time twice in one day :}

OZBUSDRIVER
17th Mar 2009, 03:30
Dick, I dedicate my 1000th post in wishing you a happy birthday....This is not to say I am going soft, just a recognition of your reaching a milestone.

I was told a very funny (true) story the other day that involved yourself. Very poigniant on your life it was....."Wrong end, Dick!"

....at least I can still have an argument with you and you haven't slapped a court order on me.....yet:E

Happy Birthday:D

Pinky the pilot
17th Mar 2009, 03:34
Concur with all previous posters;
Happy Birthday Dick!:ok: Sorry, but can't afford the BBJ.

Struth, I could'nt even afford a BBQ!!:{

Skystar320
17th Mar 2009, 04:22
I had to look down

Teal
17th Mar 2009, 05:03
Happy birthday Dick.

As AFL legend Ted Whitten (Mr Football) once said, "Stick it up 'em!!"

:ok:

Jabawocky
17th Mar 2009, 05:41
How about we all chip in for an ADSB unit.............:ok:

VH-XXX
17th Mar 2009, 05:56
Or perhaps a reasonably priced repair job on a Rogerson Kratos EFIS.....

Aerodynamisist
17th Mar 2009, 06:14
Happy Birthday Dick, many Happy returns.

Whats the next adventure ?

Joker 10
17th Mar 2009, 06:39
Happy Birthday Dick, now you qualify for a Seniors Card

Pentacle
17th Mar 2009, 07:14
Happy Birthday mate. I'll have a beer for you later!

I'm a big supporter of you, your work and your passion... and have been since my first 'Funway Electronics Kit' well over 20 years ago.

Have a fantastic day.

SCE to Aux
17th Mar 2009, 08:48
Happy Birthday Dick!

I attribute a lot of the successes in the reforms and safety improvements I’ve been part of in the developing world in recent times to the lessons I’ve learnt from you.

I hope the next time you get a chance to shake things up in Australian aviation I can come home to be part of it.

I’m too far from home to pop over to Bowylie for a cuppa and to wish a great birthday and I think the President would get upset if I borrowed his BBJ but I will be home in June so we can catch up then.

HarleyD
17th Mar 2009, 10:27
Happy Birthday Dick,

I haven't always agreed with your opinions, but I am always interested to hear them.

Keep sticking it up them mate!

HD

PA39
17th Mar 2009, 10:33
A great Australian Icon, an asset to the country and to aviation. Have a great day Dick with many many more to come. ::):):)

RENURPP
17th Mar 2009, 11:03
Its nice to see the good sentiment directed at some one who alot of people disagree with. You should feel chuffed.

happy birthday Dick :D ::DD

Mustangbaz
17th Mar 2009, 11:12
although not knowing you personally i have shopped at your name sake for many years as well as being entertained and enlightened by your many threads and so from a lowly PPL and widebody LAME Happy Birthday :ok:

RadioSaigon
17th Mar 2009, 11:22
Many happy returns of the day Dick :ok:

Nil Bastardi Carborundum :}

wessex19
17th Mar 2009, 11:31
Whenever i have marched on ANZAC day in Sydney, I see Dick standing in about the same spot be it rain, hail or shine holding up a thankyou sign for the diggers. So from me Dick, thankyou and happy birthday.:D

Runaway Gun
17th Mar 2009, 11:38
I've been a fan of yours ever since I was 'that high'.
You've always been polite and helpful whether in person, or in writing.

Blow them candles with some gusto :)

Buster Hyman
17th Mar 2009, 12:00
Blow them candles with some gusto
Then have a lie down ol' fella!:}

bushy
17th Mar 2009, 13:03
65 is not old. He's just "chronolgically gifted". There is lots to come yet.
Happy birthday dick. Keep doing what you know is right.

clear to land
17th Mar 2009, 14:21
Dick, I respect your passion and advocacy for aviation, even though I differ in my opinion on some of your concepts. You are proof that the squeaky wheel gets the oil-or at least the media, which is all politicians listen too. Congratulations on your Birthday, and may you celebrate many more whilst you enjoy the pleasures of aviation and the rewards of your hard work. :ok:

AerocatS2A
17th Mar 2009, 15:11
Its nice to see the good sentiment directed at some one who alot of people disagree with. You should feel chuffed.

Agreed.

When I saw this thread I thought it'd be a train wreck, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see that people can respect you as a person while maintaining differences of opinion, even on the internet!

Happy Birthday!

MAF Aust
17th Mar 2009, 23:08
Gday Dick

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday from all at MAF Australia.

Best Regards

MAF:)

tipsy2
18th Mar 2009, 00:21
The very best birthday wishes Dick, have a great day.:ok:

tipsy:yuk:furball:yuk:and another

chimbu warrior
18th Mar 2009, 02:23
You deserve the respect of all Australians, not just for the reform you brought to our industry (breaking 50 years of "it can't be done" type thinking), but for creating 3 successful businesses which created opportunities for many Australians, your commitment to seeking a better future for under privileged in our community, and your tireless and unselfish support of so many Australian causes, be they preserving our heritage, protecting our environment or ensuring fairness and justice for a fellow Australian.

Even if some Australians may occasionally have different opinions to yours, our country is a far better place because you cared enough to contribute.

I will always admire your work and achievements.

Fantome
18th Mar 2009, 13:37
http://www.theage.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1050172535027_2003/04/14/b-dick,0.jpg

'e's lit 'is candles on 'is cake, 'e's blown 'em out in one blow

wiped the crumbs from off his face, 'ad his cake and et it.

Dick Smith
18th Mar 2009, 20:02
Thanks everyone for the positive words. I could not have had a better birthday present.

Now off to Sunrise - on at 8.10 am re supporting Aussie locations for holidays.

peuce
18th Mar 2009, 21:08
" .... for he's a jolly good fellow ..." ... wouldn't you agree?

I have enjoyed our debates ... looking forward to the next ....:ok:

VH-XXX
18th Mar 2009, 23:23
That's irony for you as Qantas the Australian Airline today released seats to LA for $900 return including taxes :)

RENURPP
19th Mar 2009, 06:20
Now off to Sunrise - on at 8.10 am re supporting Aussie locations for holidays

Hey Dick,

what sort of discount do you offer your fellow PPRUNER's?

Looks like a nice place :E

CaptainMidnight
19th Mar 2009, 06:56
Yep, happy birthday from me too, Dick.

May you have many more to keep us entertained :ok:

hoss
19th Mar 2009, 07:33
Happy Birthday Mr Smith. Have a nice day, I walked past one of your shops today and later on when i was looking for cereal I bought a box of your 'Bush Foods Breakfast', looking forward to discovering the flavours of Australia tomorrow morning!

97% fat free, hoss:)

Time Bomb Ted
19th Mar 2009, 08:36
Happy Birthday Dick.

Many happy returns.

Love to see your guest list for the party at Gundaroo.

cheers

TBT

Dick Smith
19th Mar 2009, 11:30
RENY, It's owned by my daughter and her husband. I can't afford to stay there!

I am more of a Campervan person or a tent.

For the Qantas pilots who read this , it's called Southern Ocean Lodge on Kangaroo Island and starts at about 1k a night including all the grog you can drink.

sprocket check
20th Mar 2009, 02:51
Happy Birthday Dick,

Regarding your first comment about your vision, etc. I am sure it is shared by many of us. I am in the embryonic stages of aviating business and would love to get CASA to become at least mildly relevant and sensible.

How can I help?

sc

Hugh Jarse
20th Mar 2009, 04:30
http://www.theage.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1050172535027_2003/04/14/b-dick,0.jpg

That was the name of the touch footy team, wasn't it Dick. (The Dickheads) Yellow shirts with the corporate silhouette emblazoned on the front (including the trademark glasses of the time. Well, it was the 80's and you could get away with that) :} Training out on the helipad in spite of your best efforts to blow us away with downwash ;)

Many happy returns.

Hoss, you'll never be 97% fat free if you keep reproducing at your current rate :8:}

Horatio Leafblower
20th Mar 2009, 09:22
Jarse

I find the more kids I have the lower my percentage becomes :suspect:

harrowing
20th Mar 2009, 10:51
VK2DIK late and best wishes from VK4DWH

waren9
20th Mar 2009, 11:25
And from all us Kiwis too,

Cheers Duck!

Dick Smith
21st Mar 2009, 03:29
Hugh, if you dare me and if the mods will allow I may be able to find a photo of the famous football team. You may even be in the photo which was taken on the North Ryde Helipad in the early eighties!

Arnold E
21st Mar 2009, 13:00
Go on Dick, I dare ya. I'd like to see that photo

tinpis
21st Mar 2009, 22:14
Many Happy returns Dick
I remember this one, I think you were trying to muscle in on Birds Eye?

http://www.smh.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1048653852095_2003/03/28/nws_320dicksmith,0.jpg

Hugh Jarse
21st Mar 2009, 22:18
That was the "iceberg incident" wasn't it, Tinpis?:}

Dick, please put the photo up. I double dare you! (Now I know you will).

I guarantee there will be lots of "bad 80's hair" for all to see :E:8

Torres
22nd Mar 2009, 05:20
VK2DIK. Best wishes for your Birthday.

73s

VK4VEE

Dick Smith
22nd Mar 2009, 22:05
I will try and locate the photo- may take a while!

Fantome
23rd Mar 2009, 00:16
Did you track down pics of Bowylie in the Osborne's days or gliding club activities?

Hugh Jarse
23rd Mar 2009, 03:50
HAHHA! I was right about the hair! Might have been before my time, but I recognise Neil Goulter (with ball), Ray Richards(Warehouse MGR?) Top left (no taste in motorcycles).

Is that a "young" Rex Callaghan front left?:E

Crikey! that photo disappeared as fast as it appeared!:8

Dick Smith
23rd Mar 2009, 03:52
Tinpis, that is a historic photo. It is actually of the iceberg cruising past the Opera House just before it became apparent that it was an April Fools Day joke!

Hugh, here is the photo. However I can’t see anyone with a huge…. so it may have been before or after your time – then again, maybe you don’t want to be discovered!

http://www.dicksmithflyer.com.au/downloads/picture.jpg

To the moderators, this actually has an aviation link. Even though the photo was not taken on the North Ryde helipad, the airspace in the top quarter of the picture is future ADS-B airspace.

Dick Smith
23rd Mar 2009, 04:35
Hugh, a friend of mine has just spoken to Rian Lane, who was team Captain when the photograph was taken. Rian says that you weren’t on the team at that time. Sorry!

Buster Hyman
23rd Mar 2009, 06:41
That's more Dick than I care to see right now....:cool:

hoss
23rd Mar 2009, 07:10
hey dick the wife likes the cereal too, just got back after a few days away and its all gone, i only got one go.

Hugh Jarse
23rd Mar 2009, 08:04
That was before my time, Dick. My hair was much bigger :} and I'm sure the jerseys were yellow with the silhouette during my tenure. I'm surprised Rian is still with us :}

I recognise a few more of the ugly moosh's, but alas, can't remember the names.

Probably a result of CRAFT: Can't Remember a F&^*ing Thing.....

Buster, those shorts were great, because you could get away with it back then, and without needing rolled up socks for enhancement purposes! :8

Neil (Back row with ball) was known as "the drover's dog" (all Pr!ck and ribs). He was actually a part time muso and had a similar (but better IMHO) voice than Shane Howard from Goanna. This was around the time of their debut album.

Towering Q
23rd Mar 2009, 08:14
Not a very "Dick relevant" post, Fantome. Probably better suited to the More Photos thread.

I don't suppose you have a link to the Narrabeen Beach photo, it's a great shot.:ok:

Fantome
23rd Mar 2009, 09:37
Here it is T Q - Panoramic Landscape Photography - Sydney City, Northern Beaches Photos, Sydney Photos, Bondi Photos (http://www.mattlauder.com.au/maingallery.php)

My post was pulled for reasons mysterfying. All I was trying to imply was that to say that the future category of airspace over the ground in the photo of Dick's eleven is justification for a post is no more or less sensible than to say a recent photo of Narrabeen Beach where the first heavier than air flight in Australia took place on the 5th December 1909 is a reason enough to mention here the support needed for the valiant efforts of The Australian Gliding Museum in their working towards commemorating that historic flight. (Maybe the mod. concerned would be good enough to look again, and if not put it back here, put it in History and Nostalgia.)

Barkly1992
23rd Mar 2009, 11:10
Dick

I had John (AMATS) and Brenda around for dinner on Saturday night. Up from Melb. a great catchup and many CAA and other stories were told.

And John said to tell you 'happy birthday'.