PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Scopies (etc) - Scotland's Secret Nuclear Bunker

JessTheDog
16th Mar 2009, 09:15
Scotland's Secret Bunker (http://www.secretbunker.co.uk)

I went on Sunday for a look, just on a whim. I thought it was going to be a small bunker for cold war civil defence.

I went through the turnstile and was taken back ten years. The bunker is the same structure as Buchan/Boulmer/Neatishead etc and I walked down the tunnel thinking that I could easily be carrying a headset and non-spill coffee mug!

Most of it is Cold War stuff, a good exhibition overall, and they even have a half-dozen consoles on the lower level...the ones that predated the universal consoles.

Well worth a visit - it is not cheap but the facility is private, no public funding.

matkat
16th Mar 2009, 11:53
Went there last year and have to agree fascinating stuff, shame on me for not going earlier as I live so close. I remember when I was based at Leuchars there was always rumours about the bunker but never really took them seriously!!!!!

zotbox
16th Mar 2009, 14:06
Turn the sound down on your PC before you click the link though... the air raid siren doesn't go down very well in some offices (As I have just found out:\)

Rionart
16th Mar 2009, 14:11
FYI...if you click on that link at work..beware of the 'kin loud air raid warning siren....D'oh!

Edited to add looks like I'm not the only victim...

LXGB
16th Mar 2009, 14:59
Yeah, what they said! "Disregard!" :ouch: