PDA

View Full Version : ALERT - Stolen Avionics

Ovation
16th Mar 2009, 03:57
Seen on pp 39 of the March 2009 Aviation Trader - a reward offered for information about recently stolen avionics out of a Cherokee 235 at Cessnock.

List includes:

King KT76 Transponder, Attitude Indicator, Altimeter, ASI, VSI, Tacho, MP gauge, suction gauge, EGT, Hobbs meter, KI 209 Nav Indicator, Turn Co-ord, DG, S-TEC AP, AP Servos AND wiring.

The owner asks everyone to keep a lookout and offers a reward for information leading to their recovery. His published contact details are 0429 486 886 and [email protected]

sms777
16th Mar 2009, 07:31
Let me guess..... ( I have not been there for a long time ) Cessnock Airport has a 10 feet barbed wire fence with security gates in front of the apron but walk along 30 meters and becomes a 2 feet single wire sheep fence.
Another pathetic attempt at securing our airports? :sad:
Whoever stolen those parts must have had a long uniterrupted night. Very unlikely any of them will ever get recovered. Good luck though.....

Horatio Leafblower
16th Mar 2009, 08:57
If the owner wants to get a new ADF with his insurance claim, I need one for one of my aircraft.. can he "steal" his old one for me please? :eek: :uhoh: :E

forget
16th Mar 2009, 09:25
You need to be careful when reporting stolen avionics. What used to happen in the US was this. A thief would remove (say) a VHF with serial number 1234. He’d find a second aircraft with the same type of VHF, serial number 5678, and swap them over.

Aircraft owner number one would report serial number 1234 stolen when, in fact, it’s 5678 that’s on the market - with no record of theft.

Goat Whisperer
16th Mar 2009, 12:07
Horatio

I just removed my ADF... just drag as far as I'm concerned.

If you want any of the bits, they're cheap... well so cheap they're free.

PM me.

vortexstate
17th Mar 2009, 03:09
I do believe this same sort of thing happened in Camden several years ago. A new Cessna 182 (if I recall) was relieved of it's glass comms panel but the purchaser neglected to remove the running system aswell.
All this while it was securely hangared, not that a thing as simple as a lock means much to some.

VH-XXX
17th Mar 2009, 04:44
We had someone at our field attempt to remove an entire engine. They had 1 cable to go and it would have fallen off completely. They must have been disturbed and left early. Almost got away with it. Lots of work later and with the wires twisted back together it was back in the air again. :ok:

Had another engine disappear from a hangar, would have required a ute or similar to get it off the field.