PDA

View Full Version : Paulo Emanuele accident

betterfromabove
15th Mar 2009, 22:06
Hi

Does anyone know any details on the crash that killed the founder of Airliners.net, Paolo Emanuele, in Santa Monica in Jan, or where/when a NTSB report will be released?

From what I understand it was an EFATO & they didn't make it back to the field, but know no more than that.

Found out today that a friend of mine knew him very well & would like some more information when it's released.

Please feel free to PM me. I'd like to pass on anything that's helpful.

Many thanks,
BFA

411A
15th Mar 2009, 22:12
There is quite a large golf course off the southwestern end of SMO...an ideal emergency landing spot.
To try an immediate 180 and land downwind is sure to result in bypassing the hospital altogether and proceeding directly to the cemetary.
Generally speaking, not enough height is attained when bad things happen...:(

betterfromabove
15th Mar 2009, 22:37
Sounds like it was unfortunately another grim statistic to add to the endless "at what height can you safely turn-back" debate....

Has there been any interim report published?

BFA

Brian Abraham
16th Mar 2009, 01:11
NTSB Identification: WPR09FA102
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Wednesday, January 28, 2009 in Santa Monica, CA
Aircraft: SIAI-MARCHETTI SF-260C, registration: N688C
Injuries: 2 Fatal.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On January 28, 2009, about 1705 Pacific standard time, an experimental Siai-Marchetti SF-260C, N688C, crashed during takeoff at Santa Monica Municipal Airport (SMO), Santa Monica, California. The pilot was operating the borrowed airplane under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 91. The certificated private pilot and one passenger were killed; the airplane was destroyed by impact forces and the post crash fire. The local personal flight was departing SMO, about 1705. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan had been filed.

During takeoff witnesses observed the airplane climbing until reaching an altitude between 200 to 400 feet. The witnesses reported at this point the engine sound stopped. The airplane appeared to slow down as it made a right turn, followed by a descending spin until impacting onto the north side of the runway.

betterfromabove
19th Mar 2009, 08:21
Many thanks for the replies....have forwarded the information to the friend of mine.

BFA