PDA

View Full Version : Finding any loophole's

pizza198
15th Mar 2009, 20:23
Hi everyone,

I finished my degree in Sport Sciences last May and since then I have worked as a duty manager at a hotel. Given the current economic problem with employment as a whole I have decided that I dont want to be made redundant from a job at 35 or so and learning a completely different trade aftwerards, I also want to start a pension and planning for the future. Better sooner rather than later.
I turned 22 last week and went down to the local AFCO to get some information on applying as a pilot. I haven't got my life resting on a career as a pilot as I know the majority of people would dream of the lifestlye and the responsibility. I'm no different however, I've been excellent with fitness for the duration of my teenage life and I know that I would do well with any test that is put infront of me.

The only steel wall standing in my way is the requirement of a grade C in English Language GCSE. I tried to talk round the AFCO RAF Officer to accept me without it, even though I know its not within his power (clutching at straws comes to mind). Surely, the fact I have a degree demonstrates a greater understanding of English Language than a 16 year old in college getting a grade C. He agreed with me which was positive and even agreed that the requirements need changing. I've been doing essays for the last 3 years and my sentence structure and literacy skills are far superior than a grade C GCSE. I haven't long now to apply, with respect to the entry age of 23. I phoned the AFCO office yesterday and asked if they would accept a Key Skills Level 2 English Literacy Certificate (the equivelant of A*-C at GCSE English). Basically, I can attain this certificate upon an assessment at an adult leaning centre in one day. They have told me to do this and bring in the certificate, then they'll send it off for judgement.

Does anyone have any information on finding any loophole's to get around this requirement. It seems ridiculous to me.

Sorry for the long winded post, I tend to go round things the long way just so everyones in the know.

Cheers

Jay

airborne_artist
15th Mar 2009, 20:46
Stop whinging and do something about it. If needs be just take the frikkin exam - costs about £35.00, and you can possible get it done quite soon if you look around. Google IGCSE as well as GCSE.

Fg Off Max Stout
15th Mar 2009, 20:55
the fact I have a degree demonstrates a greater understanding of English Language

Finding any loophole's

Sorry... couldn't resist.;)

Biggus
15th Mar 2009, 21:09
Maybe it just proves that you don't need very good English to get a Sports Science degree....?

airborne_artist
15th Mar 2009, 21:09
an adult leaning centre

I can recommend this one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaning_Tower_of_Pisa)

Talk Reaction
15th Mar 2009, 21:22
Can I just say before you go any further are you sure you want to be a military pilot?? Your post suggests otherwise and frankly 4 to 5 years worth of hard training would be even harder if you're not wholly committed (not too mention taking a slot from someone else who does have their heart set on it).

To be fair it sounds like you have the wrong reasons for joining and you should have some serious thought before you take one more step. I'm surprised the AFCO didn't say any of this. Well maybe I'm not.

To make this a balanced post - if it is something you could put EVERYTHING into and have thought long and hard about it, then as mentioned below, just go to any college and pay for the exam, after 3 years at uni surely you could get a GCSE 'c' with no work???
:rolleyes:

cockney steve
15th Mar 2009, 22:43
T.R. I think you do a disservice to the selection staff.

The cost of training a "young turk" to fly umpteen million poundsworth of taxpayer's hardware, means they are pretty clued-up in respect to weeding out "billy bull****ter "
I'm not military, I feel there is entrenched and endemic incompetence, mal administration and huge waste within the admin.........but I think this is one area they have got right.

TheInquisitor
15th Mar 2009, 22:55
Agreed....'Pizza boy' won't even get past the front door, with that 'I'm only joining 'cos the economy is bad and I want a guaranteed pension' attitude. I'm surprised the AFCO even entertained him.

On_The_Top_Bunk
15th Mar 2009, 23:03
I think the OP may need to get in touch with Future Officer (http://www.pprune.org/members/294795-future-officer) as he is in need of advice with his own loopholes.