PDA

View Full Version : Poll for training completion targets?? MODS?

Flygirl83
15th Mar 2009, 13:54
Can we start a poll of when wannabes are planning to have their flight training completed by? ie if you have slowed down because of the recession when do you plan to be qualified. I'm cabin crew for a certain airline that I rumours are cutting back staff, and I iwant to know when to borrow to start training. I have been lurking on here a while, and it looks as though more and more people are delaying thir training. That concerns me, because as things look brighter more people will start their training then there will be loads of new fATPLs on the market at once...if that makes sense?

Keygrip
15th Mar 2009, 14:47
I very much doubt it, no.

Flygirl83
15th Mar 2009, 14:57
thanks for being so helpful. :ok:

skyhighbird
16th Mar 2009, 11:43
Fly,

Your last sentence pretty much summarised the fact that it is always difficult to get a job. When the going is good, it is still a struggle to find that first job. Now we are in a recession, it is pretty impossible. And as you pointed out, if people wait, then everyone will come put at the same time!

The waiting time (if you listen to ppruners, both experienced pilots and wannabees) seems to be in preparation for some time 2012. Now I have no idea where this comes from. I keep hearing the Olympics being mentioned but that means sweet FA. Id like to find the first person that mentioned 2012 because a lot of people have jumped on the bandwagon and you are right, everyone will come out at that time. I'm guessing the general educated guess is that you stay in a recession for 2 years (2009-2010), give it 2 years fopr the upturn so things are rosy in 2012.

The point is no one knows. Hell I work in the finance industry and whilst it was obvious that for the past few years risks were being taken, no one knew when or what the final straw would be. Likewise, no one knows when we will come out. So the only advice is that coming out of traning this year or next year would not be a good thing- I think that is something mosty people can agree with.

I've already began my part time mod (very early stages). Aim to finish PPL before autumn, distance learning ATPLs whilst hour building until December 2010. CPL/IR/ME 2011 hoping to finish september 2011 so 2 1/2 years from now.

This isn't in preparation for 2012 (i'm still dumfounded by that nostradamus type date lol) but because it works for me. No one knows anything.

Those who started training in 2006, early 2007 when the country was booming probably thought they had a job in the bag when they came out in 2008/09.

Timing is everything. But that only works if you had a crystal ball.

AvEnthusiast
16th Mar 2009, 13:37
But don't you think that for people which are passionate, I mean flying is their inspiration they don't care about anything like this. Me despite knowing all these things (aviation downturn, recession, etc) I went for it. because I couldn't stop myself. now only concentrating on my training let's see what happens next.

skyhighbird
16th Mar 2009, 13:58
AvEnthusiast,

Yes I think that exactly. Which is why I started my training recently. Not because of any percieved upturn in the future but because I can't wait any longer! I want to fly - I need to fly.

There is no good time, there is no bad time. You will only know if it was a good time/bad time when you come out of training! Hence the crystal ball.

My advice to flygirl is that if she is going via the mod route, then there is nothing to stop her starting now. Its as good time as any. If she was thinking of the integrated route, then perhaps it would be riskier as she would finish end of next year.

disco87
16th Mar 2009, 15:32
I am looking to finish training around 2012 sort of time, although i seem to be leaning more towards intergrated. But got to finish Univesity first, also give me some time to see how things work out.

CraigyD
16th Mar 2009, 19:51
I start next wednesday, fly out to California to do FAA PPL and hour build. Hope to have ATPLGS/CPL/ME/IR done within three years. No idea if I will have job at the end of it, to be honest im already far to busy studying to really think about it that much. Fingers crossed I suppose......:rolleyes:! As stated earlier, its also my passion to fly and earn a living from it. Not to fussed what I do (sea planes ideally :}!)!

Halfwayback
16th Mar 2009, 22:56
Poll - I doubt it would be of any benefit! So that is two out of four Mods.

The time to start training has also been covered in a number of threads here - and nothing has changed yet!

Finally - Passion. We are all passionate about flying but you need to take a reality check. Its great to learn a new skill and develop it to a stage where you earn a living doing what you love. However the important four letter word here is is 'earn'. At the moment no-one is employing inexperienced low-hour pilots because there are stacks of pilots in the market place with more experience. There are pilots, having already invested a lot of money, trying to make themselves more attractive / employable by buying there line training so that they can recoup some of their outlay.

Those are the facts I'm afraid.

HWB