PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a dialing program?

Loose rivets
13th Mar 2009, 19:13
What I want is something that is very simple :hmm: The best I had was card-file, it just worked, and carried on a floppy.

I spent ages filling in the Word Perfect offering, and it's a disaster. Horrible search logic etc..

What I want is one that people just like...simple, with logical search methods and able to dial via the modem of course.

Sheesh, I was dialing from my computer with Baudwalk in 1985. How difficult can this be?

I also used to like WinFax. Simple and worked well. I upgraded it and it was a disaster. Never sure what it's going to do next. It also won't put in a delay for my telephone company to kick in. So, I have to dial the phone company with the fax, then at the exact moment, auto-dial the destination number on a desk phone. All because there are no Pauses. Is the Windows offering on Vista working okay? and can one Fax these days via the modem/router, obviating the use of the internal pc modem?

frostbite
13th Mar 2009, 20:48
Supervoice was one that I had that used to do that + answering and fax.

Don't know if it's still around. It ran on W98 but that was the last I tried it on.

Jofm5
13th Mar 2009, 20:49
You can use the contact manager within outlook to call people. Its easy to find your contacts and hey you just right click and select dial.

When dialling a number it is common to put a comma (,) in to introduce a 1 second delay, so putting ,, before the number will give you a 2 second delay. Typically you would set this up on your modem in control panel and winfax will use that by default.

In the modems section in control panel there should be a hayes dialstring command e.g. ATDT - you can change this to ATDT,, for a 2 second delay or ATDT9,, for example if you are on a PABX and require 9 for an outside line. This command is always prefixed to the number before dialing.

In answer to your other question there are companies on the net that offer fax to email, email to fax etc do a quick search in google and you will find plenty of offerings - I would recommend one but you will need one that will give you a telephone number local to your area (for incoming fax).

Gertrude the Wombat
13th Mar 2009, 22:00
How about cardfile?

I know it doesn't come with newer versions of windows, but you can just copy cardfile.exe from the old machine ... can't imagine Microsoft worrying desperately about the copy being unlicenced ... I've got it running here on Win2k3 Server, so no reason it shouldn't run on XP. (Mind you I don't use it for dialling so I don't know if that bit still works.)

Loose rivets
14th Mar 2009, 01:56
That's a good question. I haven't tried it since 98SE, but it worked well then. In fact it worked so well, that I used to used the program to test new modems.

You can use the contact manager within outlook to call people.

You know, one day I'm going to concede to the fact that I need to look at Outlook. It was one of those things that appeared at some time after my brain went mushy, and just exploring new Windows add-ons became equivalent to conjugating something in early Latin/Late Greek.

I will try to look into the modem control again, but down here in the wilderness, I don't have a local telephone company other than the line supplier. I can dial 100,000 people for free, but no one else. Dialing out now consists of (apart from me Cell phone of course) of an 800 number which recognizes my home phone so that I don't have to put a PIN in. This sadly means listening to a lot of verbiage. A ten second delay would be about right.

S'funny. I was the owner and technical director of a successful computer company in the 80s, now I would soon mutilate my good eye with a rusty fork, than delve into new software. :ouch: I would live and breath computers in those days, I don't know when the transition took place...probably about the time customers started saying their kids would sort out the problems when they got back from school. :ugh:

You're not going to believe this, but I was once given the keys to the front door of the N** **** bank in the City, so that I could work in peace on a Sunday. Acres of unoccupied desks and one security guard that I never saw. I rather imagine that the money department needed a couple more keys to reach. I wouldn't do it now, there'd only be a 50% chance of me remembering to lock the door when I left.

Bushfiva
14th Mar 2009, 03:31
I used to use Phone Dialer Pro. It was very comprehensive, I needed it for one specific feature which I can't remember now. Possibly "wait for quiet", which sounds like a feature you'd like. Or "Wait for bong", maybe. It also coped with a 110-digit phone number, where TAPI (the Windows dialing gubbins) only supports 79 natively.

Jofm5
14th Mar 2009, 05:52
For your Indirect Accesss toll free number you would have to time it but your dial string would look something like:-

ATDT0800123456789,,,,,,,,,,12345,,,,,,XXXXX

Where:-

08000123456789 = Toll free number
12345 = PIN
XXXXX = number to dial

Cheers