PDA

View Full Version : UKOMA

plans123
12th Mar 2009, 16:48
Is it worth joining? and why are they so slow at answering emails.............

no sig
12th Mar 2009, 18:08
It's been some time since I was part of UKOMA, but I would say yes, it is most worth while. It's alway useful to meet with others who do the same job; we learn from one another, operationally you never know when you might need a hand from another airline so you know who to call and its a useful forum to exchange knowledge and ideas. It's been around now for years so as an organisation it has stood the test of time.

JobsaGoodun
12th Mar 2009, 19:28
As far as I know, UKOMA is organised by existing employees so it may be that they are slow to respond due to current workloads in their respective jobs.

They will respond I'm sure and I can only reitterate nosig by saying that UKOMA is something most operators should be involved in!

plans123
16th Mar 2009, 16:20
Thanks fella's. As an outsider looking in, I thought it may be a bit of a 'closed shop' so to speak, I'd like to find out some more and to be honest, I've got a few questions as well. So if there's any UKOMA members out there than can spare a few minutes to answer some bone questions - feel free to PM me.

Ta muchly

no sig
17th Mar 2009, 19:53
plan123

Forgive me, but you seem to be making more of this than needs be- its not the Masons! If you meet the requirement for membership (you'll find that on their website) then simply find out when the next meeting is (give one of the member airlines Ops Managers a call and get the Chariman's number and call him) I'm sure you get an invite and warm welcome when you go along; after a few meetings you can then judge for yourself if its of value to you.

UKOMA is a useful forum for ops managers to discuss their and industry issues, for example; ATC, new legislation, ops officer recruitment and training, IT systems, commnications etc. Occasionaly, they'll be guest speakers from agencies or company's wishing to sell their equipment or systems. Visits to the likes of Swanick are also know to happen. UKOMA has always been particularly focused on Ops Officer training and has run courses going back over twenty years- many reading this will have been on them.

I go back to the late 80's with UKOMA and my involvement was always fruitful and I have made friendships there than continue to this day- don't worry it isn't a 'closed shop'.

plans123
17th Mar 2009, 20:11
No Sig,

Thanks for that, I have sent a couple of emails now, yet no response, thats why I resorted to asking on here....
:ok: