PDA

View Full Version : Aviation degree (massey) or AFS ??

spitfire6948
11th Mar 2009, 23:52
Im just wondering if an aviation degree at massey is a waste of time. They say that by the end of 3 or 4 years you will have a CPL and ATPL with the exception of the flight check which I guess is an frozen ATPL. Would it be better to study at AFS as they also provide training up to frozen ATPL. Cost is not as big a factor now to me as. Thank god for the student loans./How easy is it to get a job straight out of school??? How long would it take to get 2000 hours???

climingflightlevels
12th Mar 2009, 01:06
One would think it would take 2000 hours of flight time to get 2000 hours.... It would depend on who you work for and how many hours you are flying a week/month/year.. Aus max is 30/week 100/month 900/year. I can't comment on any NZ uni programs however I started one in Australia did nearly two years before deciding I was sick of it and wanted to fly full time. Finished my CPL and IR and went and got a job... Turns out that I now have experience and others in the degree have a fancy piece of paper. I'm not saying a degree is a waste because I would like to finish mine, however some.. any... experience seems to be better with the industry atm.. If you really want to fly and money isn't an issue personally I would do it full time now... A degree is always going to be available part time.

spitfire6948
12th Mar 2009, 01:23
oh ok. hmm so basically i really shouldnt worry about it now ?

XRNZAF
12th Mar 2009, 08:35
Neither.... :yuk:

Throw the nice shiny brochures covered in airliner pictures in the bin.

Think small school, think post training employment opportunities, think experienced instructors.

XRNZAF

I'd bank on averaging 400hrs/year to begin with.

Got the horn
13th Mar 2009, 05:20
I got a degree first (non-aviation but in the science field) and then went flying. It can't hurt your chances.

Dances With Dingoes
13th Mar 2009, 08:43
What EXRNZAF said, esp. this bit.
Think small school, think post training employment opportunities, think experienced instructors.

Try to find an instructor that has other experience and actually wants to instruct. It would be hard to do that I know but you will benefit learning from someone who is not building hours to get into another area of the industry.

Get out there and get it happening You can always study while you work or take time off to do what you need to finish your degree.

The bonus of Massey is that they run an instructor course as part of the degree, and will employ you on completion of the instructor course.

I could be wrong, I was once before :E but I think spitfire6948 is looking for 2000 hours of EXPERIENCE. :}

mattyj
14th Mar 2009, 01:16
the magic # is 750TT nowdays to be legal spifr..try aiming for that..you'll get depressed if you focus on 2000!

SystemsAreGo
14th Mar 2009, 08:50
No such thing as a 'frozen ATPL' in NZ.

Want to keep costs low? I wouldn't recommend going to the ardmore flying factory. Their circuits are HUGE :ugh:

By the time you finish your CPL the job prospects will most likely be very different. Get your ticket then find a job. Good luck :ok:

Pilotolatino
16th Mar 2009, 13:48
Read my threads on "RMIT" or "GFS"

best of luck.

ZK-NSN
20th Mar 2009, 10:37
have to back XRNZAF, neither sounds like the best option.

Luke SkyToddler
21st Mar 2009, 07:42
Massey = without a doubt the WORST choice a potential student pilot in NZ could make, with AFS a close second.

Agree with the other guys, find a small school in the regions somewhere, preferably one that has an associated charter or non-instructing GA business and hires its own graduates to fly that work.

Any muppet can throw loads of money around and get a shiny CPL/IR, but if you don't have a plan to get those 1 - 2000 hours after you graduate then you're probably going to end up on the scrap heap with 200 hours and no job like 99% of the other sausage factory school graduates.

Massey058
22nd Mar 2009, 03:00
The whole sausage factory things get trolled out a lot and there may be some valid points in right of that. But it comes down to statistical reality really, if an aero club is big enough there will be a similar percentage of muppets most likely. The big thing is that it is probably easier to weed the muppets out the aero club environment.

I have met, flown and worked along side all kinds of pilots from a vast variety or training organisations. Some of them are crap and some of them are 'idol-worthy'. Based on my straw pole I couldn't say where muppets were most likely to come from. They're lurking everywhere!

Its not easy being green.