PDA

View Full Version : Hercules In Severe Icing - Photo

flipster
11th Mar 2009, 21:38
Peeps,

I remember a photo, taken in early 90s I think, of a Herc on the ground at Goose Bay or Gander that resembled a large grey and green icicle. The ac had encountered severe airframe icing on approach that had almost overwhelmed the ac's de/anti-icing systems. The picture was used for various FS posters etc - anyone got a copy?

Furthermore, does anyone remember the details of the event?

PM me if req'd

TVM
Flip

OmegaV6
11th Mar 2009, 21:49
If its the one I'm thinking of .. there used to be a copy on the noticeboard in the K Sim Crewroom ... perhaps a current K person could check for you ...

Top Bunk Tester
12th Mar 2009, 08:27
Photo was taken by Uncle Fester, an ex 30 Sqn Capt, who occaisionally posts here. Try a PM to him. Believe the photo was taken in Gander.

TBT

GrumpyandOld
18th Mar 2009, 22:35
It was Gander and I was there. There were 2 Hercs in that night - I was on the other one. We both landed within minutes of each other. The thing I can remember to this day was the high power setting that was required to maintain speed on the approach. An overshoot would have been interesting. The ice build-up was incredibly quick and very thick. The extra weight alone doesn't bear thinking about let alone the loss of lift.

I've had a look through my log book to try to pin down a date. Don't hold me to this but 8 March 1991 looks a likely suspect; however, Gander features a number of times during many winters! My memory is also awful when working out years as my good lady will testify each and every wedding anniversary.

vernon99
18th Mar 2009, 23:18
Seem to recall reading about it somewhere, I am sure there was an article and photos about the incident in that well read magazine Air Clues? Anyone sad enough to have a collection to look back through:eek:

And what happened to Air Miss?

VictorPilot
23rd Mar 2009, 14:47
Do you mean Suzi from the Flight Safety organisation who featured in posters and calandars??

BeeBopp
28th Mar 2018, 06:42
I remember this being reported on in Air Clues in the early nineties, I did a google search for it today after a serious icing event and this thread came up though no photos were ever posted.

In the Air Clues report I read there were photos of the Hercules after landing and the amount of ice on it was truly shocking.

Does anyone have a link or photos relating to this ?

Sloppy Link
28th Mar 2018, 07:28
Related, there was a good phot of a Lynx in BAOR that had been left out overnight in freezing rain that bought home the point.

NickB
28th Mar 2018, 10:02
Blimey - it really was severe - pic here:

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2055072036