PDA

View Full Version : Learning from mistakes

subsonicsubic
11th Mar 2009, 02:11
Recently took part in a spot landing competition at my local club.

The chosen spot was positioned somewhat uncomfortably close to the approach end of the runway (and therefore also close to some HT wires).

Winds were from just off the centreline and conditions were gusty.

I was flying a rented 172.

I overshot the mark using 30 degrees of flap on final a couple of times and decided to employ full (40 deg) on this aircraft. As I came in low over the wires, my headwind dropped as did my airspeed! I found myself very low and slow and to be perfectly honest, almost crashed the aicraft.

Lessons:

1) The 172 does not like to go around at flaps 40
2) Competitions are fun but should never compromise teh safety of the aircraft
3) Flap 40 in gusty conditions is not good practise.
4) I am an idiot.
5) I have learnt from this experience.
6) I will not do this again.

Thought I'd share the error(s) of my ways with you:uhoh:

SNS3Guppy
11th Mar 2009, 02:45
Subsonic,

Your first two lessons learned are good lessons to learn, and good observations. The fourth is perhaps misplaced. You're not an idiot for learning.

The third observation is subjective; flaps in gusty conditions are fine so long as you're prepared...but in that particular airplane, less is more. Less flap is more ability to go around on the very limited power you have, and the most important part of that lesson is how it may apply to you specifically. What works for others may not work for you given your own background, training, experience, etc...and it's most important that you do what works for you.

Experience is often one of the best teachers, but it also sometimes comes with the highest price tag.

SergeD
11th Mar 2009, 07:42
It sounds like you are not an idiot subsonicsubic but more accurately the organisers set up a dangerous competition.