PDA

View Full Version : How much does it cost on average for a piolet training course in the UK

Abz217
10th Mar 2009, 10:13
I am interested in becoming an airline piolet and was wonderin if anyone nos how much it costs and wat would be the cheapest way to become a piolet

Many thanks

Abz

skyhighbird
10th Mar 2009, 10:16
First investment is a spelling test.

Integrated and living away hence expenses, probably 75'000 - 100'000 plus not inc type rating.

Mod - around 60K.

Advice from WWW, priceless

R T Jones
10th Mar 2009, 13:40
haha you will definitely need a mastercard. Obviously spelling the profession correctly would be a good start, but from your post it seems as if you haven't really looked into things very much. Before you post here asking for everything to be spoonfed my suggestion is to read through plenty of threads on here. Not just in the wannabe forum but terms and conditions as well, it will give you a wider view of the aviation business. Also, perhaps read an aviation publication, I always liked airliner world, lots of pictures. I'm sure if you have any specific questions people here will be more than willing to help. Just remember to take everything you read, especially on pprune with a pinch of salt. It does tend to focus on the negatives. Best of luck with your research.

Vems
10th Mar 2009, 14:22
1) It's PILOT! Want to be one, but can't spell it. Huh.
2) Read all the stickies.
3) Do YOUR OWN research.
4) Choose the way to go. Modular or Integrated ( you'll know what I mean after you finish point 3)
5) Choose an Integrated or Modular school ( after 4 )
6) Read about the current climate. Job market for pilots isn't looking brilliant at the moment.

That would be it :E

Vems. :ok:

Chasegood
10th Mar 2009, 14:49
"wat would be the cheapest way to become a piolet"

Actually in his defence - I found myself saying it in a NI accent and it works!

Vems
10th Mar 2009, 18:15
Haha :}

It still doesn't excuse him. :ooh:

Rob82
10th Mar 2009, 21:22
Its even better that at the top of the page it says Professional Pilots Rumour Network and he posted in the Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) forum.:ugh:

Made me chuckle anyway.

glazierflyer
10th Mar 2009, 21:55
Holy Moley!! And here I am worrying about my age!! But I can spell - and I dnt spk n txt tlk!!:}
Did you get GCSE English A-C?

Mikehotel152
11th Mar 2009, 09:37
The dumbing down of the profession is depressing. No wonder piloting is regarded as a blue-collar job these days; akin to driving a Tube train. :suspect:

Abz217
11th Mar 2009, 15:02
Hi all
whats with all the negative feedback????????
The only reason my forum had alot of spelling and grammatical errors in it was because when i created it i was in a hurry because my teacher was looking my coursework in this period
so sorry if you got the wrong impression

Anyways i have done some research and wanted to know if anyone has any advice on whether i should go for it or not

Another thing i wanted to know is that can you get sponserships by airlines and how to go about it

many thanks

Abz:ok::ok:

skyhighbird
11th Mar 2009, 15:06
No you cant get sponsErship. Firstly the word doesn't even exist.

Abz - you are the only one to tell you whether you should go for it or not. I don't even know you. Your question is far too broad.

Can you ask your teacher to help with your spelling. I don't mean that as a joke. It's beyond a joke mate.

We can help you with specific questions. But asking something broad like that doesn't help.

nick14
11th Mar 2009, 15:07
:ugh:

Welcome,

May I point your attention to the sticky posts at the top of the forum. There you will find a wealth of information on everything you seek.

I tell you what why don't I post them here for you and save you some trouble......

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/131649-archive-reference-threads-posting-guidelines-read-before-you-post-question.html

http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/251490-archive-reference-threads-posting-guidelines-read-before-you-post-question.html

And for a light read try this one:
http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/284418-so-where-all-jobs-then.html

Good luck
Nick

DaveD
11th Mar 2009, 15:36
Ahhh the old, "Your spelling is bad so I wont answer your question replies...".

Give him a break... True, if you're going to come onto this forum and ask a question then at least get the basics right, but don't dwell on it..

Abz, ask yourself a few questions first.

"Do I have the money to become a pilot?" If so, then decide whether you want to do it Modular or Integrated. If you want a fast track route then pick integrated but at the moment id doesn't really make any sence to rush, not with the way the current economical climate is at the moment.

Look at training schools around your location, if you've used the internet to find this website, then you can use it to do some research on which schools in your area offer the best prices.

And best of all, use the search button. There's alot of threads on PPRUNE with people JUST like you who've asked the exact same questions. All it takes is abit of time to search for it.

Hope this helps.

Abz217
12th Mar 2009, 14:36
Thanks Dave

Atleast someone has the decency to actually tell me how to go about this.

I really appreciate this thanks
By the way i have heard form some of my friends that a sponsership is available for a pilot course from airline companies thats why i assumed that it could be done.

I have done some research and found that in Northern ireland there are no colleges that provide the pilot course and would anyone direct me to a colleges website that offers the course because google gives me lots of pages but doesnt seem to give me the actual college's course and doesnt give alot on info on it either:(

skyhighbird
12th Mar 2009, 14:55
Abz,

Belfast Flying Club will get you your PPL and I suppose you can do hours building there. But there doesn't seem to be any CPL/IR/ME tuition. the best they have is IMC (from my quick browse of the website).

Do you have any idea as to whether you wish to go Modular or Intergrated?

In terms of SponsOrship, Flybe have it in some form. All it means is they pay some part towards your training (i.e 20K) and you have to pay the rest circa 60K. You are then bonded to the airline for X amount of years with a reduction of salary.

I did a search on google and found no fATPL schools in NI. So the choice is yours - go across the border or come to the mainland!

corsair
12th Mar 2009, 15:13
Mainland? :ugh:

I note the spelling has improved Abz217, good. You learn quick, that's a good sign.

Well there is nowhere in NI for a frozen ATPL course. Across the border there are three, NFC in Dublin, Atlantic in Cork and of course PTC in Waterford who if they ever get their act together could be very good.

There are several in Britain of course, and Spain and one or two in the USA. Read all the stickies and start your research and you will be ready.

The biggest problem you'll have is getting the money together to pay for it all. The irony of attaining a successful pilot career is that all too often you have to start up in a successful, well paid career in some other field in order to raise the money to pay for it.

Hence the importance of education, speelengs and sums.

wilky
12th Mar 2009, 15:16
Guys, I think you are falling hook, line and sinker for a wind up here, I think Abz is pulling your plums!

Abz217
12th Mar 2009, 15:17
yea i was thinking to do a modular and yea lol i would most likely want to come to the mainlands but i hear that it is much cheaper if you go abroad to the likes of spain and do the course so im going to try and do some research on it. If anyone has any information already... it would be much appreciated if you could get back to me

By the way has anyone actually started to do the course and doesn anyone know of any other methods on how to raise the "dosh" (as we irish say) for the course?

Thanks
Abz

skyhighbird
12th Mar 2009, 15:49
Abz,

Unless there is an approved FAA/JAA fATPL in Kabul or Bagdad Flying school, then the money saved in the wider scheme of things (55-75K depending on Mod vs Int) will not be significant. With the pound a it is, it probably be worse.

If you go MOD, then maybe hours building would save you £500-£1000 when you take into account visa, airline flights, food/accomodation.

In terms of funding, then you could get a loan secured against mum & dad's semi.

If that is a no no, then its 5-8 years of working to save the money. naturally during that time, get yourself some cheap digs and you could have enough to start flying and building hours straight away. ATPLs via distance learning etc.

Abz, I'm not being funny but it wont take long to use the search and any question you can possibly think of regarding "what school, how much, where is the best place etc" is answered 1000 fold.

M Horgan
14th Oct 2009, 14:05
hey abz... i am at present looking to do the pilot training course at the moment... i have just done my first lesson in cork with atlantic... my instructor told me that it will cost 60,000 euro to become a commercial pilot... have u started any courses yet

Thanks

Dane-Ger
14th Oct 2009, 18:01
Regardless of the troll, here is a breakdown of my total costs so far for those that can use it. A couple of points to note, I got the most of my PPL paid by the RAF many many years ago, but the costs of the IMC and PPL renewal are of course extra things that anybody starting out would not have to pay. (although the IMC rating was excellent practice for the MEIR)

I haven't included food in the equation, as some do, no matter what, I would have to eat:)
This was of course modular, it has taken me a year and seven months from initial class 1 medical to CPL/MEIR, and in total only fours months unpaid leave from my work.

The only thing missing is the MCC course, of which I am still looking at various options.

PPL

first 30 hours free, RAF scholarship
15 hours plus exams £1000Initial Class 1 Medical
Medical at Gatwick £317
Flights to Gatwick £65 Hotel £40 ATPL Groundschool
CATS online course £999
flights to Birmingham for 3 brush up weeks £380
Train fares Birmingham to Cranfield £120
Bed and Breakfast in Cranfield 3 weeks £368
Exam fees for 14 exams (to the CAA) £868PPL Renewal at CATS
5 hours of flying including exam £600
Exam fee £168
7 PPL exams (had to resit them all! ) £140
CAA renewal fee £67IMC and Night Qualification at Fly in Spain (it has to be noted that the IMC and NQ would have been much cheaper if the pound was not so weak, calculated at present exhange rate of 1£ = 1.33 EUR)

IMC
15 hours plane rental £2239
15 hours instruction £699
landing fees £174
Instrument approach fees £42
Exam Fee £200
Written exam fee £50
Plane hire for exam £217
TOTAL £3621Night qualification
5 hours plane rental £745
5 hours instruction £245
TOTAL £1070
Membership of Fly in Spain £40
Chart of Spain £10
Accomodation £200Hour Building with Big red Kite
80 hours at 79.10 (this includes, oils, avgas, parking and landing fees) £6328
Hotels £180
Flights £90CPL at Tayside Aviation Dundee
CPL Course £5500
Extra Lessons and test hire £1372
Solo hire of plane (to and from exam centre) £188
Solo hire of plane (currency) £188
simulator hire £90
Exam Fees £1271
CPL TOTAL £8609MEIR at Aerodynamics, Malaga
MEIR course (including exam, landing and approach fees) £10165
Accomodation £700
Flights £340
MEIR TOTAL £1120TOTAL £36,932

So even with the MCC , it will be under the £40,000 mark.

regards D-G

Edit - yes, loss of earnings is an important factor, in my case £10,000 for four months. the rest of the time I studied and flew whilst working. the four months I used to complete my hour building, the CPL then my MEIR. I then returned to my full time job (as a teacher) and have got some part time, parachute club flying to keep me going until things pick up.

The end result after using my savings was a debt of £12,000 which gives me which a monthly payment of £150. I guess thats everything on the table now. I can also add that although the amount is in pounds, my savings were in Danish Krona, I made very good use of the weak pound and transfered my money to the UK at 7.5 Kr to the pound, saving myself 30% compared to a year earlier.

I guess the point of the above is that there are so many incidentals and personal circumstances that it is pretty much impossible to work out the price of an fATPL:ok:

superdash
14th Oct 2009, 18:49
Excellent Post Dane-Ger :ok:

Here is my breakdown:

Integrated course inc caa fees

£58500

Accommodation

£8000

Living Costs

£6000

Total £72500

Took 16 months

Should of gone modular and bought a red ferrari :E

(Loss of earning during the 16 months approx £28k net of tax)

TheBeak
14th Oct 2009, 20:18
(Loss of earning during the 16 months approx £28k net of tax)

An important figure to factor in.

As is the interest over the term.

Aerouk
14th Oct 2009, 21:31
Dane,

Why don't you go back to Tayside for your MCC? I believe they're looking for people for the course.

BoeingMEL
15th Oct 2009, 12:43
.. this is a wind-up! Please oh please someone tell me that Abz's posts aren't really those of an 18 year-old! Jeez. :ugh:

Halfwayback
15th Oct 2009, 17:20
ABZ217

This is a forum for Professional aviators and for those dedicated beginners struggling to get a first foot on the ladder. Members here will go out of their way to assist with advice that is normally given from their personal experience. However they do tend to think people are taking the mick when someone can't be bothered to check what they have written - hence what you call 'negative feedback'.

Having looked at your posts regarding ATC, and especially as you went for interview, I would have thought you would be better informed. However, it is apparent that you have not done your research, then or now, and prefer to ask others in the hope that they will provide you with the answers.

You have got some answers regarding costs and, at this time, there are no UK airlines sponsoring initial pilot training. If this changes then this place will be jumping with comment!

An evening spent in this forum using a search function will give you a much better insight into the world of aviation. Nick14 has kindly given you some links to follow to get you started - I wish you luck. If you need to know more then PM me

However to stop any more 'negative' feedback I am closing this thread.

HWB