PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!

spitfire6948
10th Mar 2009, 01:41
hey everyone im based in Auckland (NZ) and im looking to start my flying career and im in the process for looking for a good flying school. Anyone have any ideas ? Im thinking about Ardmore at the moment but im hearing some conflicting viewpoints about it. Can anyone please help me out? Any recommendations ? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Sqwark2000
10th Mar 2009, 03:24
Are you prepared to move or do you wan to be AKL based?

The word I'm hearing out there is that, for quality instruction, time management and cost comparison, CTC is the place to go. There are other good schools out there , but some of the bigger ones lose sight of the individual.

Just what I've heard...

link to Massey thread http://www.pprune.org/d-g-general-aviation-questions/363798-massey-university-flying-school.html

S2K

spitfire6948
10th Mar 2009, 03:46
hmm i really dont mind moving to be honest..thanks for the info btw checked CTC out and it looks good. I applied to them and just waiting for their reply, thanks mate...But just out of curiousity what is the deal with ardmore? Is it worth it or not ? i mean like ive said before i seem to hear conflicting viewpoints about ardmore.. would you know anything about that?

Oktas8
10th Mar 2009, 05:38
Have you searched for old threads containing the term "Ardmore Flying School"? There are several.

That said, you'll always get conflicting responses about a flying school. People tend to develop Views and don't change their minds easily. I suggest you develop an idea of what's important to you in terms of the following list, and ask more specific questions based on your specific needs.

- Cost
- Experience of instructing staff
- Time taken to get final qualification
- Orientation towards airline versus GA career
- Bloggs-off-the-street model versus full-time-airline-cadet-model.

Each of these, especially numbers 2 & 3, are likely to be obfuscated (that's "lied about") by management. Therefore, ask for current, actual, staff qualifications and current, actual, on-time course delivery. Also, numbers 1 2 and 3 are mutually incompatible, so prioritise!

Hope this helps. No doubt I've missed some items, but it'll get you started.
O8.

spitfire6948
10th Mar 2009, 05:58
yeah i did check on old threads for 'ardmore flying school ' and thats where ive been getting my conflicting viewpoints from.really hard to make a decision but yeah thanks a lot for your help mate will check into that for you. Just another qucick question ...regd CTC, is that only for EU nationals? What if your a NZ citizen ? What about us kiwis?

Rich Pitch Power
10th Mar 2009, 06:11
Dude (or Dudette),

I'll try and make it simple for you.

1) If you are going to student loan your flying go to Ardmore Flying School or CTC who I believe do offer a domestic course.

2) If you are going to self fund your course go to Airline Flying Club and talk to the CFI.

RPP:ok:

spitfire6948
10th Mar 2009, 06:24
haha that did make things easier, but yeah so looks like its gonna have to either be ardmore or CTC...hmmmm....but thanks mate.
:ok:

Oktas8
10th Mar 2009, 09:33
If you have the right to live & work in the EU, you can apply to CTC for the European scheme.

If you have the right to live & work in NZ, you can apply to CTC for the NZ scheme.

Simple!