PDA

View Full Version : F-16s damaged in AFG (from f-16.net)

HaveQuick2
9th Mar 2009, 11:37
F-16 Mishap News

Belgian F-16s in Afghanistan heavily damaged

March 8, 2009 (by Lieven Dewitte) - Three of the four Belgian F-16s stationed in Kandahar sustained heavy damage after their engines where FOD'ed by debris kicked up by a landing transport aircraft.

So much dust and debris was released that the F-16 engines came to a halt.

The three Belgian aircraft were sitting on their parking spot when a cargo plane taxied along.

That maneuver kicked up large quantities of pebbles and sand, which ended up in the engines of the Belgian F-16s and damaged the rotor blades.

As a precaution, and to any avoid further damage, the engines were removed from the three jets and sent back to Belgium for further inspection. One of the jets already has a new engine and is airworthy again.

A C-130 will leave Belgium on Monday with two replacement engines to repair the other F-16s.

The Belgian Air Component deployed four F-16AMs to Kandahar in September 2008 together with 140 troops. They support the 41,700-strong International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan.

The Helpful Stacker
9th Mar 2009, 12:39
Maybe it had landed and was taxing away from the runway.:ugh:

Pedantic rays set to kill today?

kokpit
9th Mar 2009, 15:42
It appears intake blanks might have been a cheaper option, or were they running alongside the strip, awaiting such an eventuality? :ok:

Green Flash
9th Mar 2009, 16:13
Hang on chaps! Perchance this was written by someone for whom English is not his native tongue (the hint is in his name?) and was therefore written in a style that maybe a natural English speaker wouldn't? Cut him some slack, he was doing his best with someone else's words. And good luck to the Belgian Air Force :ok: (sorry, I don't do 'air component':yuk:)

GreenKnight121
10th Mar 2009, 05:48
Lieven Dewitte

leavin' de wit

leaving the wit

:confused:

nunquamparatus
10th Mar 2009, 11:57
Cool. Never knew the F-16 could hover. That must explain the slow speed handling though.

That maneuver kicked up large quantities of pebbles and sand, which ended up in the engines of the Belgian F-16s and damaged the rotor blades.
:E:E:E:E:E:E:E:E:E:E:E

kokpit
10th Mar 2009, 12:30
Just to show impartiality nunquamparatus, it might be better that you're Firmly Grounded, I imagine those rotor blades are sitting amongst an equal number (there or thereabouts) of stator blades and not on the head ;)

nunquamparatus
10th Mar 2009, 12:49
kokpit.

You are a wit. Well, half of one.

It was spontaneous and its called humour.
:ugh:

rolandpull
10th Mar 2009, 15:19
There is a very good chance that between the AT and the FJ there was some civvy SH.

nunquamparatus
10th Mar 2009, 16:58
RA

No.......spent a good few minutes looking at your post and found nothing to laugh at. Came to the conclusion that you are just not funny.

And no, I don't laugh at my own jokes. At myself, yes, at my jokes, no. :ugh:

Double Zero
11th Mar 2009, 01:14
This must be a record - posts go straight from pedantic to slanging match faster than ( even a conventional, and didn't see any mention of VT ) F-16...

The only sensible post, which might have been worth hearing an answer to, was ' why no intake blanks ? ' - it seems inferred they were lined up to taxy out, but...

Wrong place, wrong time, wrong instructions to passing transport ?

Seems we'll never know, anyway posting allied losses is not such a brilliant idea, pointing out the quick replacement of assets certainly is though.