PDA

View Full Version : HEMS crew training contacts?

capt tosspot
8th Mar 2009, 11:26
I dont know if anyone can help. I have run a course here in the UK training medics who want to work on air ambulances. I am now sans medical following a nasty biff and looking to pick up more ground training work by offering it to a wider audience. It meets or exceeds all the JAR reqs for 'Crew other than Aircrew' and is a fairly intense (but very enjoyable) week of classroom and practicals. Any ambo pilots with overseas experience who could pass on contacts / suggestions? Ta.:)

MightyGem
8th Mar 2009, 22:54
You could always try the North West Air Ambulance. If they ever get around to offering a decent salary to potential paramedics, that is.

Bertie Thruster
9th Mar 2009, 07:55
Gulf Helicopters are now running the new Qatar LifeFlight HEMS op (2x 902's). I got the impression that the QCAA would regulate the unit using JAROPS rules.

They might be worth a call.

capt tosspot
9th Mar 2009, 10:03
Ta for that. I have sent all the bumpf off to Lynda, but they tend to use Bond as they provide the aircraft and pilots. I would be happy to step in or help if they can't do the training at short notice, as I have 3 places left for a course starting in April, but I think they have it covered. I know some other charities are paying £31k to their crews with pensions and other bits and bobs. It may be more now, but they were certainly offering a good whack to attract paramedics away from the security of the ambulance service. As you know a charity has to pull the plug if funding drops off and its not easy to go straight back into your old job on the road.

capt tosspot
9th Mar 2009, 10:19
Thanks Bertie, I sent an email to their managing pilot out there the other day. They did the trials with the 902s, were happy and started working up the paramedics last september. They are going for it with TI and NVG on the 2 902s. Ive never tried it but assume the NVGs will make it a whole lot safer for the desert landings at night and when transitting around?

Bertie Thruster
9th Mar 2009, 14:42
NVG's make any night low level work a lot easier and safer, (rig approaches included but that's a whole different 'ball' game).

Leaving the Mil these days and then having to work non-NVG civil night is like going back 25 years to the bad old days or rather, nights!