PDA

View Full Version : Soldiers Shot Dead In Northern Ireland

Roger Sofarover
8th Mar 2009, 03:24
The BBC are reporting that two soldiers have been shot dead at Masereene Barracks in Northern Ireland. Others are reportedly injured. I hope the police are able to get the terrorists quickly before any escalation. It has been 12 years since the last soldier was killed there. The dismay of local residents is apparent, nobody wants a return to the 'old days'. This is all the lads and lassies who return from the sandpit need.

Condolences to the families

Mister-T
8th Mar 2009, 07:05
Absolutely gutted, I am in such a state of shock.

Sincerest condolences to family and friends as well as all those serving in NI.

Al R
8th Mar 2009, 07:16
I wonder if any of those responsible were found to have been released under the Good Friday Agreement will now be given an ASBO by the "Dept of Justice"?

It'll be interesting to learn the Sinn Fein reaction.

Bill Macgillivray
8th Mar 2009, 08:37
Hope this is an "isolated" incident - no one wants a return to the past !
Sincere condolences to families and friends.

racedo
8th Mar 2009, 09:51
All parties have condemned the murder.

CIRA has little if any support and likely perpetrators will be caught quite quicly.

The War is over.

barnstormer1968
8th Mar 2009, 09:55
The head of the Northern Ireland police service (formerly RUC) had recently asked for a small amount of special forces to be brought in, to tackle a small amount of very dangerous men. Sinn Fein's reaction was to say that this would lead to trouble, and surprise surprise it seems to have started.

I hope the powers that be take this seriously, and give our boys and girls to proper level of care, as I was always sickened at how downright criminal behaviour could nearly always be excused in NI as "part of the troubles" (thoughts come back of grown men throwing bricks at children going to school, while the police just stood and watched)

My thoughts go out to the families of the murdered soldiers, and hope for a speedy recovery of those injured.

jumpseater
8th Mar 2009, 10:11
It seems by 10:00am, all the major parties in NI have issued statements. Except one.

Shame on Sinn Fein.

Roger Sofarover
8th Mar 2009, 11:21
Members of the Northern Ireland Parliament were due to go to the USA today to discuss progress with the Obama administration. They have rightfully canceled their visit. Was this timed to try and derail those discussions? All very sad. I hope racedo is correct, catch em quick.

timex
8th Mar 2009, 14:01
Is anyone really surprised about this? It has been brewing since Tony Bliar declared peace..

RIP lads you deserved better.

PPRuNe Pop
8th Mar 2009, 16:57
According to Sky News, Sinn Fein HAVE condemned the action by dissidents.

Out Of Trim
8th Mar 2009, 18:21
It had better stop here and now!

If not, I would sanction the use of Apache Gunships to pursue these bastards and use the same weapons they use to control the Taliban that threaten the lives of our soldiers.

What's the difference?

XV490
8th Mar 2009, 19:38
Indeed, but you'd take out 100 others collaterally, as this lot (the 'Real IRA', according to the latest reports) hide in the community like their IRA predecessors, or nip over the border.

The fact that Sinn Fein - and Adams and McGuinness in particular - have spoken out against these murders is heartening. Ireland's history is riddled with examples of dissent and disagreement among republicans - indeed, the civil war of 1922/3 was the direct result of such in-fighting.

But nothing since the six counties' 'partition' in the early 1920s (which was never legally ratified) has been as hopeful as the cessation of bloodshed of the past decade. Even de Valera would have to have conceded that. Let's hope that those behind these attacks are unlikely to have the support of even the most vehement, but pragmatic, republicans whom, I believe, can see a real prospect of a united, 32-county Ireland.

exscribbler
8th Mar 2009, 23:29
It's said the security forces know who these common terrorists are - so why hasn't someone slotted them by now?

walter kennedy
9th Mar 2009, 00:13
If the Chinook had not crashed on the Mull, that is what would have happened to the main body of the IRA itself.
Then the people (north and south of the border) would not have been subject to a process which has de-nationalised both communities leaving them both exposed to externally dictated policies on the economy, immigration, etc which has been destroying both cultures, bringing them into line with the mainland.http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/evil.gif
Do not confuse the mainstream IRA (which has had internationalist backing) with the weaker but genuine nationalist "splinter" groups - horrific though their acts are, they are ineffectual compared to what the mainstream IRA has been able to get away with and reflect the level of terrorism that could have been expected had not some very powerful interests wanted to keep the "troubles" a running sore to destabilise a part of Britain that was hanging on to its culture and its local sovereignty.
Airey Neave knew what was going on and was going to do something about it ...

capewrath
9th Mar 2009, 11:33
Utterly shocked when I heard the news.
Then sadness for those involved and their kin.
Now I despair. Why would anyone want to return to this kind of thing.