PDA

View Full Version : Times Must Be Tough

Stationair8
8th Mar 2009, 01:53
Spare a thought for those people that are doing it tough with the global financial turmoil.

Flicking through a travel magazine, I noticed that former Prime Minister Mr R J Hawke and his wife Blanche are offering their services to the cruise boat industry. You can join them on a cruise from Darwin to Broome, and even spend the afternoon mixing with this iconic Australian over a beer and a cigar. Another can be spent with Blanche talking about her latset book.

Just note their only 10 suites remaining, so best book quickly!!

ozaggie
8th Mar 2009, 03:07
Cant think of anything more bloody boring :bored:

Back Seat Driver
8th Mar 2009, 03:23
My initial thought was to go along and toss the b@st@rd overboard, but then sh!t floats,doesn't it. :yuk:

Howard Hughes
8th Mar 2009, 03:46
Surely a 'Bus' tour with them would be more appropriate...:E

Jabawocky
8th Mar 2009, 04:23
Might be plenty of retired 89'ers willing to shell out for a trip like that.:E

I would pay just to watch 10 of them round a table with the silly old pr!ck. :D

sms777
8th Mar 2009, 06:12
I beleive he can drink any of you under the table with ease. At least he learnt one thing to do properly in his younger years. :yuk:

Ovation
8th Mar 2009, 07:39
Below are not necessarily the cruises with the "Silver Bodgie", but here are published prices you might be expected to pay to rub shoulders with a has-been ex prime minister and his trophy wife.

Kimberley Wilderness Cruise (6/7 Nights)

$9,495 per person Ocean Class
$10,995 per person River Class
$12,995 per person Explorer Class Stateroom
(includes helicopter and light aircraft transfers)

The Green Goblin
8th Mar 2009, 07:44
Good 'ole Hawky hahahaha

While the events of '89 were tragic, lets not forget the reason he declared war on the pilots in the first place, it is more often than not left out of the whole affair.

In fact it might be interesting to start a factual thread to enlighten the next generation of pilots in the industry about the events leading up to the whole saga along with the post 89 fallout, as you can never forget where you came from if you want to move forward.

GG

ozaggie
8th Mar 2009, 11:00
Could not agree more Green Goblin. Funny how people forget..lol:ok:

Jabawocky
8th Mar 2009, 11:25
$9,495 per person Ocean Class
$10,995 per person River Class
$12,995 per person Explorer Class Stateroom
(includes helicopter and light aircraft transfers)

Ahhhh yes...... I can think of 10 off pprune and another site that would make spending that seem cheap entertainment! :D:D:D

Arnold E
8th Mar 2009, 11:35
Perhaps you would like to start to enlighten us on why the "war" started?:confused:

The Green Goblin
8th Mar 2009, 11:54
I don't really want to stir bad blood as there are many twists and turns, but the pilots had Hawkes support on a particular issue when he was president of the ACTU. Sometime later he asked for their support in boycotting certain refueling locations in a separate industrial dispute which he assumed he had in the bag. It didn't go as planned and for one reason or another the pilots did not support the initiative and it all fell in a heap for Hawke. From that moment on he took it personally and went after the whole lot at the first opportunity which was handed to him on a silver platter when in office and '89 began to unfold.

Perhaps a few others can fill in the smaller details.

Arnold E
8th Mar 2009, 12:01
Smaller details??? I thought the pilots resigned and the sh#t fight started from there?:confused:

The Green Goblin
8th Mar 2009, 12:11
'89 and the pilots resigning was Hawkes opportunity to go for blood, and he did, from that moment on the Federation lots its power and we are all a bunch of whining bickering twats with no real union.

Divide and conquer :{

tio540
8th Mar 2009, 12:42
It's actually quite simple, Sir Peter Abeles and Bob Hawke had a long history together, and Hawke owed him favours. When things turned sour with the pilots, Hawke returned the favour and screwed them all. Imagine an ex union leader screwing workers by bringing in the RAAF.

Without being banned from PPrune that's the extent of it. :bored: If only CoCo could talk.

Arnold E
8th Mar 2009, 23:10
So let me see if I've got this right, the pilots fail to honour a previous commitment, then they all resign (not go on strike) so they are now no longer an employee of anybody, and its the fault of someone else (Hawkey)
Is that pretty much it?:confused::confused:

Stationair8
8th Mar 2009, 23:38
Arnold E use the google bar and work out the 89 bit yourself.

Then again you might be one of those guys that likes paying for your jet endorsements and seeing a profession downgraded.

sms777
9th Mar 2009, 00:17
Did not he call us all nothing but a bunch of " glorified busdrivers"? :(

notmyC150v2
9th Mar 2009, 00:58
Oh dear, I can see where this is going :eek::eek::eek:

Howard Hughes
9th Mar 2009, 01:08
Hey SMS777 read post 4...;)

sms777
9th Mar 2009, 02:56
Sorry HH, must have just gone over my head!

:ok:

Howard Hughes
9th Mar 2009, 03:11
I was trying to be subtle, obviously it worked for once!;)