PDA

View Full Version : PC Shutting Down without warning

homesick rae
7th Mar 2009, 08:28
Hi There,

I have a Packard Bell desktop with Vista OS.

Since yesterday the PC intermittently shuts down without warning!? It then takes about 5 mins before I can switch it on again! It doesn't restart automatically.

Only connections to anything that I do or that happens prior to this are: Java update? I ignore this now...also I need to change my ink cartridges - I have a photo one in there and it seems to coincide with Printer or Java?

If anyone has any ideas I'd be extremely grateful.

Cheers people,

HR

BOAC
7th Mar 2009, 08:35
First shot PSU or overheating CPU. Have a quick Google.

Parapunter
7th Mar 2009, 08:51
II would guess overheating as a first principle too. Unplug it, take the back off and get the hoover in there. Also make sure that none of the case vents are obstructed.

If it all looks clean & good, fire it up and have a look in the error logs. Go to start>>computer, right click computer, select manage and open event viewer. In there, the pc will record errors ranked info, warning and critical. You may find out why by going through those logs.

homesick rae
7th Mar 2009, 08:56
Thanks guys - on the lappy at the mo - will give it a go and revert.

Jofm5
7th Mar 2009, 10:08
Does windows shutdown and your pc stay alive ?

Or does the whole lot go dead - there is a big difference as to what it could be.

A thermal shutdown would be everything dies and does not respond.

homesick rae
7th Mar 2009, 10:42
It switches off completely for about 5 minutes.

I have just found all the vents clogged with dust and have cleaned them all inside and out.

Hopefully that will work!? Also realised that the hard drive was very close to a wall so have given it more space.

Let's see and ta again for the advice!

homesick rae
7th Mar 2009, 10:52
Ok it is officially F****D! Just did it again.

Jofm5
7th Mar 2009, 10:59
OK if your vents are blocked with dust the chances are your components inside will have a nice layer of insulation too.

Feel free to take your case off (screws at the back) and hoover out the insides - the more you can get the better.

Dont use a brush implement no matter how tempting (unless its an anti-static brush) as typical implements for a hoover are good for static.

If you can see clogs of dust when the case is open hold on to the metal case (whilst the mains cable is still plugged in so it is earthed) and dislodge with your fingers so it can be hoovered up (holding on to the metal frame is important to stop static).

You may want to nip down pc-world/staples etc for some spray duster. Its an aerosol in a can that will emit a high pressure jet of air to dislodge the dust (usually directed through a straw). That should dislodge everything and make your computer last another year or so !

Keef
7th Mar 2009, 11:35
Then download Everest and check the temperatures of the CPU etc.

I would suspect the power supply may on the way out. A new one is around £40 or less, and easy to fit. Get one with more rather than fewer watts available.

Jofm5
7th Mar 2009, 12:08
I would suspect the power supply may on the way out. A new one is around £40 or less, and easy to fit. Get one with more rather than fewer watts available.

You want seperate rails if your going for a new power supply.

That way the draw on one device does not impair another (if on seperarte rails)

The overall wattage will depend on what you want to draw through the machine. if you have just standard bits a 400-500w power supply is ample - you only need more if you have a decent modern graphics card.

homesick rae
7th Mar 2009, 13:16
Lots of errors in the events!!??Yikes! I haven't a clue what they mean or where to start now!

Parapunter
7th Mar 2009, 14:09
Don't Panic! Most of them are inconsequential system stuff. What you should look for is any warning or error that coincides with the time your system shut down.

Top tip: Check your watch when the system shuts down!

jimtherev
7th Mar 2009, 15:40
Changed a cpu fan a little while ago - noisy thing - and when I took it off I found the fins of the cooler were almost completely blocked with dust. Horrid sticky stuff.

Thank you, noisy fan: if it hadn't been for you I would have fried me Pentium.

Keef
7th Mar 2009, 16:33
You want seperate rails if your going for a new power supply.
Most of the ones I've tinkered with didn't have separate rails: they looked separate, but all went back to the same point on the PSU board.

The only time you really need extra connectors is when you have one of those gamers' graphics cards that pull more current than a slot on the motherboard can provide.

I keep a couple of 550 watt ones in the cupboard to fix family and friends' machines when they go bang.

It's usually the PSU cooling fan clogging that makes it overheat and die. I hoover out the CPU and GPU fans (and any others) when I change the PSU, and often take off the CPU heatsink and wash it. I put it back with some thermpath, and usually that sorts everything.

homesick rae
8th Mar 2009, 08:32
Thanks for all the replies guys - I now cannot switch the PC on! I am a bit hacked off as this is only 2 years old.

Jofm5
8th Mar 2009, 09:05
Best place to start is your power supply - quite an easy change to make if your case is not too cramped.

I have one of these (dabs.com - Dabs Value 400W MICRO ATX PSU (PSU400MICRO) (http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=53DW&CategorySelectedId=11259&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11259,50010)as) as a replacement in one of my machines - its not the best and probably wont last (its done 18 months okay so far) but it is cheap. Besides if your machine is two years old in another 18 months will be about right to upgrade :)

You do need to check the power supply your replacing so that the new is at least as capable (i.e. dont replace a 400w powersupply with a 300w as it may not be enough - but okay to replace a 400w with a 500w).

Changing a power supply is simple, just unplug and unscrew the old and then put the new one in - you may want to write down which connections go where so you dont forget any but its hard to force something in the wrong way round.

homesick rae
8th Mar 2009, 09:12
Thanks Jofm5.

Perhaps a silly thought but could my power cable be the issue? Reason I ask is that the cable comes from the hard drive and runs behind my keyboard and down to an extension. This is often quite taut and could get slightly twisted.

Just a thought.

Cheers

HR

BladePilot
8th Mar 2009, 11:22
Hi homesick Rae
I travel a lot to regions of the world where the quality of the electrical supply can be a bit below par added to that cheap electrical power points and extension cables often throw up challenges.
I encountered two problems with my HP Pavilion notebook.
The first was that the cooling fan gave out after less than two years and I had to replace it, not an easy job on an HP as it's buried deep inside and requires removal of the entired keyboard and casing! I now supplement the HP's internal cooling with an external AKASA cooling pad with double high performance fans and extra USB connections which are very useful.
The other problem was that the HP kept shutting down without warning and I often couldn't even get the thing to power up. I employed a process of elimination begining with the power cable, lucky I did as that is all it was! I had to replace the first section of the power cable the bit with the three pin plug on it the second section the bit with the step down voltage transformer was OK. I now always carry a spare of each with me plus a two pin first section for good measure.
Try checking out the power cable you never know your luck that may be all you need to change:ok:

PS. What's the story behind the graphic below your name, are you from the land of the BraveHeart?

BOAC
8th Mar 2009, 11:48
the cable comes from the hard drive and runs behind my keyboard and down to an extension. - you'll have to hit me agian with that one:confused:. No 'power cable' should do that.

Sounds like 'back to basics'!

Have you got power at the input end of the cable into the computer? Normally a 3pin moulded black job.

If so, have you got volts in the white connectors from the PSU inside the case?

homesick rae
10th Mar 2009, 14:06
Ok,

I have cleaned out the inside - now free of dust caked on the fans. After doing this I switched on and it last 45 mins!? Yesterday I switched it on and it lasted all day until I shut it down and I am now using the PC again today! Bizarre!

Blade pilot - yes, that is the St Andrew's cross.

Thanks again.

HR