PDA

View Full Version : Command Rating

airplanedriver
7th Mar 2009, 03:02
Hi
I'm a FO but a command has evaded me now for 10 years!!.. I was thinking of doing a command rating on a 320 for example.. But what are the opportunities that i will have? I mean will an airline want to hire me with no line experience on the type? I have 8000 hours as FO.. And how much would the training cost? Thanks

one post only!
7th Mar 2009, 08:25
Just look at the requirements for DEC's at the few airlines that are recruiting them. Don't think you would get a look in with just a rating with things the way they are.

airplanedriver
7th Mar 2009, 08:32
Thanks for your reply.. I understand what you say, but how much do you think a command rating on say the 320 would cost?

BelArgUSA
8th Mar 2009, 10:00
As a general rule in the industry, to get a command on an aircraft type, it is better to "stay" with that airline, and expect your upgrade to take place on the type of aircraft you are flying currently as F/O. Obviously every airlines have their policies, for total flight time, and flight time on type.
xxx
I am a retired old timer, when hired on my first airline job, I started (as was common in USA) as a F/E on 727, then became F/E on 707, then back on the 727 and later 707 as F/O, and eventually captain on 727 then 707. Upgrading on the type you are current with is much easier, your type experience is a lot of help.
xxx
Then the airline I was with as captain 707, stopped operating the type, and offered me a DC8 captain position, and I flew my first DC8 flight as captain with no prior experience on type But I had good captain experience on 707/727. Same thing happened for the 747, I flew the 747 as captain with no prior type experience.
xxx
Generally, the tradition is "once a captain, always a captain". But a first command on a new type will always require prior type experience. Buying a type rating might get you a job as F/O, but unless you have say, 5000 hrs command on other airplanes, or remained with your airline, nobody will hire you as a captain as an initial assignment.
xxx
:ok:
Happy contrails

Flintstone
8th Mar 2009, 21:39
If you approach an airline with 8000 hours and a self sponsored command rating they'll ask why you had to upgrade yourself. Of course it could just be that you were unlucky with your previous employers but they'll be suspicious.

As BelArg says you'd be far better off gaining your command within a company if you can.