PDA

View Full Version : Road to becoming a flying instructor

Ian_Wannabe
6th Mar 2009, 12:52
Ok - Thinking Im needing to get my arse into gear and focus on getting somewhere with my flying.

Basically, I want to become a flying instructor with the idea of moving on to teaching type ratings or IR etc.

So what are the steps to getting there? I've been a bit confused with this new idea of being able to teach a PPL if you have a PPL idea at the moment - any updates?

I have 96 total hours on a JAA PPL (A).

I understand that you need 250 hours before you can start the FI course?

At the moment you also need a CPL right? and to pass all the ATPL gorundschool exams?

The IR, is that something that is needed right away or is that something to move towards once you've been able to get your hands on the funds??

Cheers

18greens
6th Mar 2009, 19:05
Theres lots of stuff written about this.

The bible for what you need to be flying instructor is LASORS (section H if I recall)

You do need hours to be an instructor, 200 ish, (get these through glider tugging or Para dropping if you can). You need CPL knowledge which is the thing that puts off most people.

You don't need an IR to instruct but most people have one and theres a reason for this.

To become an instructor you need CPL knowledge which is a major pain in the a*** to get and its not much different from the ATPLs so you do them any way. Once you have them you never want to know about schuler tuning for as long as you live. Thats all you need to do the instructor course but they run out after 3 years if you dont't hang a CPL IR on them. Faced with the option of needing to do them again if you do ever want to step into the cockpit of a multi pilot aircraft most people cover their bases and do the CPL IR anyway.

The ppl instructor course gets around all of the above but its not here yet. Who knows when it will come in.2013,2014???

ewsd02
6th Mar 2009, 19:18
Surprised you didn't do a search on this having so many posts.... but anyway:

You can instruct on a PPL but can't be paid. New EASA rules are being written which may change this, but no definate info on when or exact details yet.

CPL is the way to go and an FI rating costs about £7K.

Best to phone round a few schools first, as the general feeling is that there are absolutely no flying instructor jobs around at the moment due to the credit crunch.

VFE
7th Mar 2009, 20:17
...as the general feeling is that there are absolutely no flying instructor jobs around at the moment due to the credit crunch.
Might have something to do with the fact we've just experienced the worst winter weather in 20 years too! Instructor jobs will always be around for those willing to make sacrifices, even if only part part-time. However, networking has and always will be paramount to employment success.

VFE.

ewsd02
8th Mar 2009, 13:23
There are 4 flying schools that I either visit regularly or have friends at, and all are reporting a noticible reduction in bookings this month compared to March 08, 07 etc.

Credit crunch = general public with less money to spend = people delay that PPL they always wanted to do for a couple of years = the flying schools get less business = less work for their instructors. Couple this with the FI market becoming saturated with guys that can't yet get into the airlines, and yes there really are no instructor jobs!

VFE
8th Mar 2009, 20:04
Well it's not really surprising considering the amount of press coverage it gets. People are scared to spend! Although flying being at the top end of the expensive hobbies list, those who enjoy it are generally those who have disposable cash regardless of recessions. There are exceptions to that statement; the smarter flying schools/clubs are nurturing existing PPL holders and club members whilst encouraging the new PPL starters, of which there is no noticable drop in numbers as of yet and with summer coming I can only see it imporving rather than worsening, despite the media gloom.

Psychologically speaking, the type of person who wishes to fly will do so despite the financial obstacles, warnings and paranoia around them. Stubborn pigheadedness to succeed is what got every PPL holder through the course since time began and the ones who claim the recession will stop them perhaps don't have the required desire to succeed anyway. Maybe. Who knows. We shall see in six months time whether I'm still as positive eh?

VFE.