PDA

View Full Version : Considering Exchange Rate is there really any point leaving UK?

Chasegood
6th Mar 2009, 11:43
I've spent a few weeks researching various places to complete PPL and hours build (bl**dy shame my 300 microlight hours count for nowt!) and once you take into account the accomodation, travel to and from, and the current exchange rate in the UK - I'm struggling to justify the what was once the, "Got to go to the states...etc" argument. That boat seems to have gone.
The costs of relocating dont appear to be able to be offset by what is now, small savings.:sad:

Is there any point leaving the UK at this time?
:confused:

skyhighbird
6th Mar 2009, 11:52
Forgetting those few months where you had $2.01 to the pound, I found it difficult to see any savings that would make such a big difference that you would want to go over to USA.

Like you said, you have accomodation, flights, conversion costs, food etc. I'd like to know how much people really did save.

But yes you are right - now don't even think about it. Especially with the visa requirements and the hassle to go with it.

Dane-Ger
6th Mar 2009, 12:25
I'm actually saving 25% doing it the other way round, The pound being weak against the Danish Krona means that the cheapest option for me now, is to train in the UK.

Originally I had planned on going to USA, but as it stands, coming home to Britain is much cheaper.

Chasegood
6th Mar 2009, 13:45
oooooh $2 to the pound! What we'd give eh

Yeah - with the weak pound I guess the UK is going to be the place to come and fly........

.....for everyone else but us brits:{

Wee Weasley Welshman
6th Mar 2009, 14:00
For passing your UK CAA IRT and CPL Skilltest foreign training has always been crap. People skimp on basic training. Its like skimping on the foundations of your house or the employing the cheapest roofers. Tempting, but foolish.

Three weeks in Florida and you can always tell.

Chasegood
6th Mar 2009, 14:19
Really? How - a bit slack?

skyhighbird
6th Mar 2009, 14:35
But mirrored-effect aviator sunglasses look so much better in the Florida Sun.

(I am in no way advertising Aviator sunglasses of hour building in US of A)

BigGrecian
6th Mar 2009, 18:46
Even though the cost might be higher now with exchange rate; what you can't replace is the continuity of training and timeframe!
When I did some hour building in the US, there were many people transferring to the US, having spent weeks and months (and lots of money) in the UK, to then come and complete in the US much quicker - that financial saving you can't buy.

Also WWW - I think it depends on where you train; just like with schools in the UK.

Also I just did a rough cost using a school which includes a car as rental costs vary dramatically fairest comparison; so
$8,767 - all inclusive of car / accommodation / test fees etc
$450 - for flights return
$400 - food / petrol etc

$9,167 for a UK JAA PPL done in 4 weeks assuming you put in the work
Compared to a UK PPL cost of £6595 which currently is 9,856.35 USD from xe.com on March 8th - the US is still cheaper; and has pretty much the 4 week guarantee of completing - still looks cheaper and better value to me!

Halfbaked_Boy
6th Mar 2009, 20:31
Do your commercial in the States as well as the hourbuilding, and the cost is soon justified.

This is based on experiences of friends, not myself.

Cheers

P1 Forever
6th Mar 2009, 22:15
Yeah that's what I did.

Bought £4000 worth of US dollars last summer for my hour building at $2.01 to the pound!!

Best decision I every made.

P1.

Chasegood
7th Mar 2009, 11:59
"but chose the Florida sunshine and didn't regret it one bit http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/smile.gif "

Aye the Florida sun is a bit of a pull I must admit. Who did you go with if you don't mind me asking? (PM perhaps if naming it publicly is too naughty)