PDA

View Full Version : Red air and Splice air?

Tin-Tin
5th Mar 2009, 19:31
When can whe expect to see these operators airborne? ;)

18left
7th Mar 2009, 19:42
would red air be the start up promoted by the son of a rtd general,which has been in the pipeline for ages?MD90s i presume?

LOS
7th Mar 2009, 20:07
Is that the SA company or this Nigerian one Red 1 Xpress (http://www.red1x.com/?)?

Doodlebug2
8th Mar 2009, 11:29
Never....?

tamboekie
15th Mar 2009, 21:15
Thought you guys will be supportive of an airline being started by a pilot and not bean counters.

reptile
15th Mar 2009, 21:21
Thought you guys will be supportive of an airline....

I think you are missing the point........you need passengers (and lots of them) to support the airline. Not entirely convinced that's going to happen.

DropTheDunlops
16th Mar 2009, 19:09
I dont see any reason for Spliice not to get off the ground - excuse the punn. Serious investors behind the airline - 2 SA brothers. If the ticket prices are competitive then there should be no reason for it not to work. There are very experienced pilots behind the scenes that have set up the flight operations portion of the airline as well as very experienced personnel dealing with the many other aspects.
All I can say is - bring on the competition!!!!!

Shrike200
16th Mar 2009, 19:46
What aircraft type are they (Splice) wanting to operate, and do they have an expected startup date? Where will they be basing crew, in Jhb only, or elsewhere? This is only the second time I've heard of this planned startup, please forgive all the questions.

Der absolute Hammer
16th Mar 2009, 20:06
Possibly he should hurry up?
In the Travelwires bulletin of today, there is mention of Redair.
there is also mention of the fact that Comair or Kalula are going to apply for a licence to run London flights - as a back door to extra BA slots?
Also-Mr Cluver says £142 one way excluding tax. That is £284 return. I think with tax that wiill come out at about £500. That is not cheap for a no frill service especially perhaps if it goes to Luton-whihc is not such a wonderful place..
Right now, on my screen, I can go KLM/LHR/AMS/JNB return for £435 and Virgin/LHR/JNB/LHR for £572. Sure- random selection over a two week period but how will he compete with those amounts on a mainstream carrier-only the lager louts pay less for the football-and they are a flash in the pan-if they come at all.
I wish, of course, the best of luck. I just do not see it at the price I have read.

Tafelberg
18th Mar 2009, 06:43
£142 is complete rubbish. The SA UK market is not big enough to sustain a one aircraft operation when the competition is from the majors. The man's an idiot and waste of bandwidth.

rodmur
18th Mar 2009, 10:43
Hi All
anyone got any contacts

tamboekie
19th Mar 2009, 21:06
Found this contact on another site.
[email protected]

It is spliice with a double i

mainbearing
22nd Mar 2009, 06:03
Hammer, I agree, though your Virgin fares are a bit out, just returned jnb/lhr/jnb-R5300.00 odd- thats under 400.00 pounds taxes included and into the bargain the flights weren't near full! Sure its not for ever, but good luck and best wishes to anyone, Big Bucks, VERY Experienced Pilots etc that wants to try to compete right now (and for the forseeable future) with that.