PDA

View Full Version : Getting Router to 'See' Printer

WG774
5th Mar 2009, 15:36
Hi,

Having installed a new wireless router, I can't seem to get it to 'see' the printer connected to its LAN port. The printer is an HP 1320. It's worked flawlessly since installation back in 2006, running from a Netgear router. Getting printer to work required resetting it (aided by Mr SD, thanks again - I would bump the old thread if I could).

I installed the new router because it came free with my new broadband service, and setting it all up via the CD seemed like an easy option. I can always manually go back to using the Netgear router I suppose... Before I do, can anyone suggest an obvious error?

Rather than get the HP wizard to search for a printer, should I reset the printer?

TIA

Jofm5
5th Mar 2009, 16:13
Most routers work in the private range of 192.168.2.x or 192.168.1.x - it sounds like you have changed your IP range.

Open up a CMD prompt and type IPCONFIG and hit enter - this will tell you what IP address your router has given you.

You then need to set your printer to be within the same IP subnet, so if your IP address is 192.168.1.1 then your printer needs to be something in the range of 192.168.1.(2 - 255).

Once you have done that you need to remove your existing printer from control panel and re-add it - specifying the IP address that you set the printer at.

Alternatively you could just plug your old router back in. If its a DSL router unless you are gaining extra bandwidth from going from DSL to DSL2/2+ you will gain little if anything from a new router other than the headaches your experiencing.

WG774
5th Mar 2009, 16:21
Thanks Jofm!

Fortunately, I managed to get it working... Because it was a few years ago when I last installed it, I couldn't remember the reset procedure...

You hold the white button on the rear in for 5 seconds whilst powering. The HP software then magically 'saw' the printer and I now have a working printer.

I had a quick nap after posting and the reset procedure came to me. I guess I should've had the nap before posting here... :rolleyes: