PDA

View Full Version : How to burn >4.7GB to DVD backup?

5th Mar 2009, 11:37
I've recently lost a number of my original DVDs in a house move. I'd like to backup some of the packages I have installed on my PC, incase I suffer from any hard drive problems in the future.

The problem I have is that many of the programs are greater than the 4.7GB max storage on the blank DVD. Some of the programs I have are up to 20GBs. One came originally on 5 DVDs.

The first problem would be, can I simply make an image file and burn to disc a program that is already installed? Second problem is what program would you recommend using to then burn to DVD, which will allow continuation over more than 1 DVD disc?

Currently I use Nero but when I've tried this it keeps throwing up an error message that the DVD disc is too small.

Any advice appreciated.

Bushfiva
5th Mar 2009, 11:55
If you mean software rather than movies, the installed versions are unlikely to re-install if you copy them to DVD. You're better off backing them up, using a program that allows backups to span media. Given the cost of hard drives, you might consider simply backing up to a hard drive, or taking a disk image using something like Acronis (not free) or Easeus (free).

If you do make a backup, make sure you know how to restore it, too...

5th Mar 2009, 12:29
Thanks Bushfiva

I do actually have "Acronis True Image Home" and also "Acronis Boot Rescue Media Builder". Will either of these do what you recommend?

Yes, the media is software not movies. Once I've backed it up, would it allow me to then install it on my new laptop that I should be getting in a weeks time? Or is it a case that the programs will copy but the registry files would then be missing, therefore I'd need to try and contact the software maker to try and get a new serial number and password to reactivate some of the programs on the laptop?

Thanks for your help.

bnt
5th Mar 2009, 14:01
From a quick look at the True Image web page, it looks like it can do that kind of thing. It has a ZIP file option too, though many file types (such as movies, MP3 or program installation files) are pre-compressed and don't benefit from more compression).

Personally, however, I don't bother with backup programs. I just parcel out the files manually in to subdirectories under 4.7GB in size, and back each up separately to a standard file DVD. That way, if I have to get the files back off DVD, I just copy them off - no restore program required. Just mark the DVDs with the info, keep notes if you need to.

I never use proprietary solutions unless I have to: companies can go out of business, but standards will hopefully stay standard for a while. Does anyone remember the Zip disk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iomega_Zip_drive)? Where are they now..? :8

Saab Dastard
5th Mar 2009, 15:34
Given that this is application installation media, there is no point in backing up the installed software, other than as disk image of your current system.

You really couldn't transfer the application to a laptop.

What you might try is obtaining the product license key (e.g. from the "Help \ About" menu, then contacting the vendor for replacement disks. Would be beneficial if you had registered the products.

SD