PDA

View Full Version : foreign carriers based in US

atila_101
5th Mar 2009, 09:50
Hi there folks!!

I know that some no US carriers have base in the US (i.e. CX or some others).

My question is the following:

-Would it be possible to be non US citizen working for a non US carrier and based in the US?

Let's say an European citizen working for CX trying to get a base in the US, how hard would it be and which kind of visas would that require, would that require a green card or will some sort of visa suffice the immigration requirements??

Well I'm quite curious about that and any help would be appreciated

Thanks a lot folks

happy flights.

Boeing100
6th Mar 2009, 09:51
Well it all depends how long you need to stay. If you want to work in the US on a permanet basis, then you will need to get a green card (which is very, VERY hard to obtain). I'm sure you'll find all the information you need at United States Immigration: Green Card, Visas and U.S. Citizenship (http://www.usimmigrationsupport.org)

BelArgUSA
6th Mar 2009, 11:49
Hola Atila -
xxx
What I understand (I am a smart fox) is that you look for an airline job to "get you" a way to get a USA visa. Getting a job like that, might not be easy by itself. Many crews (from the USA or other countries) try to get, not alone such jobs, but such bases as well...
xxx
There is a much easier solution for you. You are Icelandic citizen.
There are a few pilots and flight attendants, I would say many, who live in USA without a "green card". Many of which call Florida their home.
xxx
If you arrive in USA as passenger, you present your passport and get a visa for a 90 days period. (I-94 or I-94W) and you have the right to rent or even to buy a house or an apartment, have a car, and "live there". You just need to get out of the USA before 90 days. I have a friend, who is from Iceland, and lives doing so, near Los Angeles, he owns a house there.
xxx
The pilots I know who do like that, spend some 10-15 days at home, near Miami, Ft. Lauderdale or Orlando, then they fly their 2 or 3 weeks with their airline, then come back for their days OFF. As easy as that. Just do not stay more than 90 days in a row. As an airline crewmember, easy to achieve.
xxx
A "green card"...? - Call it "Mission Impossible"...
:ok:
Happy contrails

atila_101
6th Mar 2009, 13:43
thank s both folks for the info..

Actually I was considering the chances on getting a US base for a large non US carrier without being American at all, and considering all the possible legal ways to make it.

thanks guys.

Boeing100
6th Mar 2009, 17:40
What BelArgUSA said is intersting but in my honest opinion illegal, and I'm speaking as an American citizen myself. Don't you think that US customs will flag the fact that you keep living in and out of the US on a tourist visa? I-94 does certainly NOT allow you to work legally in the United States. Also I don't see how someone with a tourist visa would be allowed to buy a car, let alone a house (unless you intead to buy everything in cash...).

If I understand correctly what you are looking for, you want to work for a non US carrier, but operate from one of their bases in the United States. Since that base would correspond to your homebase, you would be living (even on your "off time") and working within the US. I'm sure airlines could help you obtain the proper visas, but if you intend to work there for a long time, I don't think you'll be able to avoid the infamous Green card.

I hope this helps

scooby79
6th Mar 2009, 19:49
If you get a base with CX (anywhere other than HKG) they do not help you with immigration, you have to be legal to work in the country you chose to be based in. You cannot come and go as you please working as a based pilot as are rostered out of the country you are based in. USA you need to be totally legal to work there. You could however commute to HKG to work but live wherever you want pretty much. A lot of people do that but not many from the states as quite a long way, but it is done. No idea about other airlines. Also if you are not hired as a DEFO onto a base you will wait at least 5 years before you can apply for a base probably longer.

atila_101
7th Mar 2009, 11:10
yea, thats pretty much what I was searching for....

Thanks a lot folks.

guiones
18th Mar 2009, 01:03
Boeing100

Anyone can buy a car, a house(even get financed), a building, a boat etc. in the US with a tourist visa. Lots or foreigners have 2nd homes in the US and use tourist visas to get back and forth.

Now, for a CREW MEMBER, non US Citizen or Green Card holder, you need a CREMEMBER VISA. This visa allows you to come in and out as an operating cremember on the gen dec.

If you keep a home in the US and come in and out on a regular basis, there is no problem as long as you respect the limit date of stay given to you when you come in; does not matter if you are a pilot, retired, lawyer etc. The restriction is not to work in the US.

G

atila_101
18th Mar 2009, 05:54
Hey guiones how are you??

I understand from your post, that given that you are working for a non US carrier, usually starting/finishing your duty in the US but never flying within the US actually you could get a base there with just a tourist Visa or crew member Visa as long as you respect the validity stated on your Visa??? Is that correct???

Would they consider working for a non US carrier flying in and out of US workinf in the US?? don't know if you see my point..

Ans wouldn't it be suspicious to go in and out of the country every now and then in order to get a renewal in the period allowed to remain in the country??'

thanks guys..

corsair
18th Mar 2009, 12:58
There was an airline, Transaer, now gone bust, who used to fly charters from Chicago during the Winter season. They used to base crews there for six months at a time. The point being that they were working for the airline and paid in Ireland. No one was there permanently and they probably had crew visas. But it was possible.

Interestingly they also used to base crews in Cuba and Karachi, Pakistan. You can guess which base was the more popular.

Your problem is that you have to find an airline that has a base in the USA, get hired and then get based there. Or get a job with an transatlantic airline and get them to roster you so that you start and finish in the USA. A bit of a tall order there, don't you think? Good luck with that!

BelArgUSA
18th Mar 2009, 22:19
Let me clarify here a situation (and status) of a good friend of mine.
xxx
She is a lawyer from Argentina, and resides (part-time) in Coral Gables, FL.
She owns an apartment there since 1998. She does not have a "green card".
When arriving, with a regular US tourist visa, and gets admitted for 90 days.
She owns a car with Florida plates, and has a Florida driver's license.
Generally stays a few weeks, then goes to Argentina for a few days/weeks.
What is her activity...? - Lawyer. Let me explain.
xxx
She DOES NOT practice law in USA.
Advertises in Buenos Aires papers "La Nación" or "Clarín" to be a lawyer.
Her real office is in the city of Buenos Aires. An assistant answers her phone.
And her Miami phone is tied with the Buenos Aires phone lines.
She represents Argentina citizens living in the US with Argentina courts.
Most of her clients live in Florida. Some are in other US states, or Canada.
She goes to meet them, or they come to Miami to meet her.
Of course, her residence has a room which is her "office".
No advertisement in USA. Not listed in phone book, just her name+number.
Practices law in the courts of Argentina. Real estate and contract law mostly.
xxx
Despite our friend Boeing100 opinion, I think it can be well done by pilots.
I DO NOT SAY "work as pilot to/from USA base".
But call it your "second (or part-time) residence".
If you fly with your airline to USA, you hold a "D Visa" as crewmember.
But then, you need to hold a regular US Tourist Visa (no I-94W).
Both can be in your same passport. Just declare your status on arrival.
Crewmember - or "90 days I-94 tourist".
xxx
In 1998, I was often in Miami, simulator instruction. I had a US Passport.
My wife (Argentina citizen) wanted to be with me for frequent stays there.
She rented a furnished studio in Pompano Beach, and bought a used car.
I wanted her to get a "green card", "just in case"...
Stay requirements, USA tax obligations etc. made it quite complicated.
So we cancelled that idea, and continued with her "tourist status".
xxx
I know some pilots who do something as I described here above.
One in Florida, one in California. They travel in/out frequently. No questions.
And a flight attendant, lives with her boyfriend in Greenwich Village, NYC...
xxx
:ok:
Happy contrails

LAX
19th Mar 2009, 22:49
Mmm. Although belargusa means well i agree with Boeing100.

I have been through the US Immigration system and it is long, complicated, expensive and is subject to frequent change.

The reality is that with the economy shrinking fast in the US and pilots who are citizens being layed off it is highly unlikely you would be granted authorisation to work as a commercial pilot in the USA as a resident of another country.

On saying that.............some ex Ryanair guys i believe went to work for All Nippon Cargo and are based in New York, and.................if you look in Flight International this week Air India are looking for 747-400 pilots to be based in Chicago or NYC, however, you may even need command time on said type.

The only real advice i can give you is get yourself a good immigration lawyer, but it could costs big bucks. Mmm, maybe i should give up flying, probably make more money that way:ok:

BelArgUSA
19th Mar 2009, 23:08
Hola LAX -
xxx
You are absolutely correct. Getting a job in based in USA for a resident of a foreign country is probably impossible now. At no time did I say such thing. I just mentioned that anyone can rent/own an apartment or a house in USA and stay here (I did not say work here) up to the limit of their tourist visa, which is generally 90 days, exit USA, and come back again for 90 days.
xxx
My wife did that for a two years period, but never worked or wanted to work in USA, she just leased a furnished apartment, bought a car. She had a Florida driver's license, clearly indicating that it did not give her the right to work in the USA. She also had a social security card, required for her to have a checking account. The card indicated NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT.
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

LAX
19th Mar 2009, 23:14
belargusa

Roger, god bless the usa:)