PDA

View Full Version : ppl exams

aerofoil1
4th Mar 2009, 19:52
Hi all
Advance apologies if this question is in the wrong forum.
Does anybody know if your results from the theory exams for PPL are shown on your licence at all.
Passed Air Law 2 weeks ago now doing human factors.
It seems there is no certificate to show that you have actually done the exams!!
Any views on this?
Many Thanks

julian_storey
4th Mar 2009, 20:09
The results are not shown on your licence - so you just need to pass them :D

The application for that you will eventually submit to get your licence will have a space for the examiner to write your exam results.

modelman
4th Mar 2009, 20:13
You can always ask to see your training record-they should be shown on there,don't know if the actual mark is shown though.
Training records need to be kept up to date in case you move to another school ( like I did) part way through your training.

Good luck
MM

poss
5th Mar 2009, 01:44
When I did mine the CFI marked the test and signed his name in my training record as the examiner along with my pass mark.

aerofoil1
5th Mar 2009, 07:58
Thanks guys
Im so glad ive got Air Law out of the way I found Air Quiz a great help.
Hopefully will be doing first solo in a few weeks cant wait!

WALSue
5th Mar 2009, 12:23
Good luck with the solo - its a great milestone to reach!

I found there was an incentive to pass the Air Law, ie, the solo but now I need a right kick up the backside to get the other exams out the way.
Keep plugging away at those books!

aerofoil1
6th Mar 2009, 10:35
Thats great news!!it was the same for me naturally the Air Law is a biggie!! I passed with 87.5%! I was really surprised just hope i still remember all the Airspace rules!! later on down the line i thought that was quite heavy going. There seems to be a lot of emphasis on that particular area.
Passed human performance yesterday, im looking towards principles of flight now bedtime reading!!

Rugbyears
6th Mar 2009, 15:07
Get Nav and Met done so that you are ready for all of your XC flying:ok:

NB...WELL DONE ON YOUR PASSES!!!

aerofoil1
6th Mar 2009, 16:33
thanks!
only flown 7 hours at moment so im a few more away from solo just yet looking forwiard to it all just wished it wasnt so dam expensive!!

liam548
20th Mar 2009, 18:24
i agree with the above!

I passed air law in sept 08, also completed RT written 100%, Met 92% I think and Nav today 80%.

Going to do flight planning and performance next then aircraft technical then human performance and complete the RT practical at the end.

Im on 30 hours...

aerofoil1
22nd Mar 2009, 21:55
thats brilliant your well on your way towards the coverted PPl!!freedom of the skies.
where do you fly from.
my airfield charges 30per exam does this sound the average cost?

RTN11
22nd Mar 2009, 22:53
£30 per exam seems pretty standard.

Remember you only get 3 attempts at each, so study hard before you go for that first sitting.

aerofoil1
24th Mar 2009, 14:39
indeed its going quite good at the moment id like to clock up a few more hours as im looking at the met book now its an interesting read and a lot more complicated than i thought!!

WALSue
24th Mar 2009, 14:59
After Air Law, anything seems interesting!
Take a look at YouTube too, there are some decent Ground School videos on there. Just makes a change from constantly reading

BEagle
24th Mar 2009, 15:16
Your Examiner should enter your exam results on your PPL application form after marking your paper and debriefing you. Insist that he/she does!

I've never charged anyone learning to fly at the Club anything for an exam - at least, not for the first attempt. But I reserve the right to charge for any re-takes as the financial impact of this concept tends to concentrate the mind......

liam548
24th Mar 2009, 17:19
thats brilliant your well on your way towards the coverted PPl!!freedom of the skies.
where do you fly from.
my airfield charges 30per exam does this sound the average cost?

I fly from Sherburn and they charge £12 per exam If I recall correctly, but there is obviously a memberhsip fee to take into account.

WALsue I didnt realise there were such videos on youtube can you suggest any really useful ones and what their titles are?

aerofoil1
24th Mar 2009, 18:24
i agree with WALSUE Air Law gave me such a headache glad its out of the way
I thought Rules of the Air was quite interesting.
my Airfield does charge £70.00 for membership too, but frankly i dont see what you get for it only £6.00 off the hourly aircraft hire rate!!!
no news letter of any sort or invitation to the odd barndance either!!!
but its a very friendly atmosphere.
really looking forward to my solo, my instructor allowed me to descend to around 80 feet before he took over and landed a great experience another 30secs or so and the wheels would have been on tera firma!!
:ok::ok::ok:

Mike Parsons
24th Mar 2009, 19:07
Where I train exams are £45 each. Membership is £65 p.a.

aerofoil1
8th Apr 2009, 18:02
does any one know why manchester airport has changed its runway bearings from 24 to 23 and the reciprocal runway?
has anyone visited the airport pub at manchester what a great day out last week end the weather was fab, shame the wind was blowing from the west as the aircraft were taking off from 05left so the aircraft were on the otherside of the runway

quant
8th Apr 2009, 18:21
I fly from Sherburn and they charge £12 per exam If I recall correctly, but there is obviously a memberhsip fee to take into account.

It's a shame i really liked sherburn but in the timeframe that i wanted to complete my ppl they said it couldn't be done due to instructor availability and weather :sad:

IO540
8th Apr 2009, 18:40
does any one know why manchester airport has changed its runway bearings from 24 to 23 and the reciprocal runway?

Because runways are marked according to the magnetic heading, and the magnetic north pole moves around, about 0.1 degree per year, so every ten years or so all runways get renamed.

pumuckl
8th Apr 2009, 19:01
Yep, and Humberside's runways are going to be changed tonight, so from tomorrow (9 Apr) it'll be 20/02 and 26/08.

Cheers
p. :ok:

aerofoil1
9th Apr 2009, 17:15
ahhh now it all makes sense!!
im sure i wil come across more information like this when i start the Nav exam!!
im finding Met quite difficult at the moment does anyone recommend a good dvd worth studying?

liam548
9th Apr 2009, 20:34
ahhh now it all makes sense!!
im sure i wil come across more information like this when i start the Nav exam!!
im finding Met quite difficult at the moment does anyone recommend a good dvd worth studying?

I did met a couple of months ago and used OAT cd rom MET. Much easier to understand the subject when used in conjunction with the book.

aerofoil1
21st May 2009, 22:02
hi all
i know this isnt strictly a forum message but id lik eto announce my first take off and landing
it was one of the most amazing feelings
looking forward to my solo pretty soon im hoping for a greaser in the eyes of ted striker (airplane comedy from the 80s)!!
i dont get out much can you tell

WALSue
21st May 2009, 22:17
oops, been a while since I've been on here!

In answer the the videos, just do a search on 'ground school <subject>'
Its hit and miss and videos appear and disapear off YouTube a fair ammount these days
Just trawl through a few.

As for OAT, I've got their Q&A cd, find they go in to far too much detail. Beyond what you need for the PPL exams, still, I suppose it doesn't hurt having too much info.

And well done Aerofoil! Its always good to achieve something, at times you feel like you're getting nowhere fast....next up is the solo :ok:
and don't call me Shirley......

Whopity
22nd May 2009, 09:53
does any one know why manchester airport has changed its runway bearings from 24 to 23Change of Magnetic Variation.

The results of PPL exams should be recorded on SRG1105 Section 7 http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg1105ff.pdf by the examiner at the time of marking the examination. Quite often they don't and students turn up for test with no record of exams taken. If you fail an exam you should be given a copy of FCL 252 Notice of Failure to ensure you don,t take the same exam twice.

BEagle
22nd May 2009, 10:20
And don't forget Section 8a!

Students should insist on seeing that the Examiner has entered their exam results on the form - there is no real excuse for any Examiner not to do so.

Assuming, that is, that the Examiner has actually marked the paper in the first place! Rumours of office staff, receptionists and other 'invigilators' marking PPL papers still persist......:mad:

aerofoil1
29th Jun 2009, 17:37
hello all
i have a couple of met questions id like some help with ive tried reading the book but im still not getting it !
you are flying at night with a full moon setting in the west which direction would give you the best visability?
A west B north C south D vis the same in all directions!
i chose D but that was wrong
even my instructor said he would have got that one wrong
slightly different area now
am i right in assuming that a warm front is associated with lower pressure?
i always thought it would be high?

worrab
30th Jun 2009, 08:08
:confused: Couldn't resist a pop at this
you are flying at night with a full moon setting in the west which direction would give you the best visability?
A west B north C south D vis the same in all directions!

Was/is the correct answer B because the moon orbits in the equatorial plane and thus features to the West and South would tend to be more in shadow?

IO540
30th Jun 2009, 09:24
Surely one flies from A to B, irrespective of where the moon is?

aerofoil1
30th Jun 2009, 10:22
the actual answer was A to the west maybe because the moon illuminates the sky or something?
bit of a red herring question if you ask me but it got me a fail im so annoyed as ive passed the previous exams first time!
i was 2 away from passing!!:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::\