PDA

View Full Version : Darwin

Julia88
4th Mar 2009, 04:58
Never seen Darwin (entire NT) so slow in the 3yrs i have been up here. No movement/hiring at all, i feel sorry for 200hr pilots these days. Is it the same elsewhere?

julia

Green gorilla
4th Mar 2009, 05:28
May be back to how it was in the early 90s.

The Green Goblin
4th Mar 2009, 05:29
Trying to scare off the competition ay??

Darwin has never been for the likes of a 200 hour burner in recent years, Hardy took on 6 about 8 weeks ago, Pearl are still looking for SA227 captains along with Airnorth, and the usual GA suspects will all take the right type of people as the dry approaches.

Darwin has always been for the likes of the 500TT + brigade with the decent operators requiring the tonne and a ME-CIR.

tio540
4th Mar 2009, 05:33
Many operators have a 500 hour TT insurance requirement for singles, and 1000 hours TT for twins. This varies operator to operator, naturally.

Stationair8
4th Mar 2009, 09:47
Where the 500 hour bit come from Green Goblin?

First job was in the NT with less than 300 hours and no IFR rating.

The Green Goblin
4th Mar 2009, 09:52
Where the 500 hour bit come from Green Goblin?

First job was in the NT with less than 300 hours and no IFR rating.

Exactly, the NT not Darwin :D

Some have struck it lucky in recent years, but traditionally aspiring pilots went bush to cattle stations/remote scenic operators/FIR to crack the 500 before giving Darwin a crack.

Even slingair in KX used to want 500+ before a check ride was even remotely assured.

Back to Kiwis working for free living off student loan money again :cool:

Stationair8
4th Mar 2009, 09:55
Last time I looked Darwin was in the NT.

Mr Lawford did my twin endorsement as well as part of my check ride.

4th Mar 2009, 10:38
All the operators up north pay award but who pays more than award for a twin driver these days. Not being greedy and I know the industry has turned to crap again, but 40-odd grand isnt really enough to live on with someone with a mortage etc

MonsterC01
4th Mar 2009, 16:19
"40 odd grand is not much to live on", back when i was driving twins in GA i was on 26K a year, and i managed to survive! and that was only back in 2002-2005. Take a harden up pill and just be thankful you've got a job. GA in Australia will never pay rock star salaries because there are always more idiots willing to take up flying as a job than there are jobs.

Think about it like sleeping with a fat chick, you know your going to have to do it at least once in your life! And you'll probably end up doing both in the NT!

The Monster.

tio540
4th Mar 2009, 21:37
26K a year, and i managed to survive! and that was only back in 2002-2005

Living with mum and dad, or the east coast I suspect.:)

The Green Goblin
4th Mar 2009, 21:53
Last time I looked Darwin was in the NT.

Indeed, but if you got a job in Jabiru with 300 hours and classified it as the NT, it's not tarred with the same brush as Darwin which is a harder nut to crack!

Plenty of operators in Darwin who still take advantage, even last year. DA for one, they pay casual rates as contractors to the majority of staff and only the select few are on F/T award.

Sharks in these waters :uhoh:

Stationair8
5th Mar 2009, 05:38
Started out in Darwin, probably helped having time in Cessna 206/210, B36 and PA-32.

Mr. Hat
5th Mar 2009, 09:32
Julia88, are operators pushing the door shut on you as you try to push it open? Or pulling the shutters down on you mid conversation? Or just telling you to just "f*ck off". And are there people there that have been looking for a job for over 2 years?

When its at that stage its approaching late ninties levels.

You know things are bad when you are jealous of your flat mate because she scored a gig at woolies and you are still totally jobless virtually living at Jobfind Casuarina.

Ah the good ol days...

Hasselhof
5th Mar 2009, 12:03
Didn't AV8 just advertise and take some people? Didn't Air Frontier just take on like 4 guys? Hasn't Hardy's been hiring? Didn't Laj Air just put a bloke on? Didn't Katherine Av just put a bloke on? Oh and I forgot DirectAir, pretty sure they put some guys on pretty recently too.

You know things are bad when you are jealous of your flat mate because she scored a gig at woolies and you are still totally jobless virtually living at Jobfind Casuarina.

Ah the good ol days...

Hell yeah :ok: