PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Flightsim / Pilot in command 737

BIG MISTER
3rd Mar 2009, 23:23
Hello dear friends

In this time of finacial woe I'm looking at ways to keep up to date with flying whilest not flying !

Micosoft flight sim seems to be one answer with a nice bolt on like the Wilco Pilot in command 737 so that a lot more of the switches and the FMC work.

The trouble is I'm getting older and I'm turning into my dad !

I either need a 5 year old to come and program it in for my (like the video) or an understanding computer boffin !

Now while 5 year olds are great at the basics what I'm looking for is a compleate anorak that loves Microsoft Flight Sim and knows it inside out.

Also someone who's old enough for me to buy them a beer - or anumber of beers in return for a good run down of the program and what it can and cant do !

I'm located near LGW.

Is that you ?

Answers on a postcard to this address !

Cheers all !!!!!!

:}

al446
5th Mar 2009, 02:25
I doubt I will be anywhere near LGW soon but if you wish, I am sure I can persuade the landlord of my local to dream up a suitable exchange scheme. Not sure it's gonna be needed. First, watch out, round about this nook of the web anyone who mentions sims of any sort is a standing Elk in front of an M16. Secondly, I have no knowledge whatsoever of those loathesome programs but I do have a friend, so close is he I cannot shut out his voice as he describes his mis-spent time at the joystick - he informs me a good joystick is an essential minimum for this exploit.
Much though I hate to indulge him I WILL pass on any requests you have and may let him near the keyboard occasionally.
He says he has no experience of anything other than FSX, Lock On and IL-2. I pass on his best wishes. He also suggests that X-Plane may be suitable or a couple of very complicated (steep learning curve compwise) freebies out there such as Flight.org.
No matter where your feet may be, keep your head in the skies.

Keygrip
5th Mar 2009, 02:38
Big Mister.

I'm not sure that there is "one person" that can accommodate your wish list completely - except, maybe, Jack Bauer.

I really do believe, however, that *we* as a PPRuNe team, working together, pulling together, can save the day (and probably late into the night, too).

If a group of us take one job each from your list then I'm convinced that we shall walk down the corridors of power, with out heads held high, whilst we sing "We shall overcome".

I would like to offer my services to you as the person who is old enough for you to buy them a beer.

As the Fox & Hounds (Kissimmee) has stopped selling Warsteiner Pils, I'll settle for a pint or three of Stella.

Now, who will work on the computer end of things for him?

P.S. Willing to trade for chicken and ribs at the Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue - the beer there is free.

planecrazy.eu
5th Mar 2009, 07:09
Think the best idea is to ask away here, and then one day you might know the answer to something else for another person, sure this is how it works =)

No need to go to your house, if you have windows you can use remote desktop, and let someone set it up via the net. Then, just change your pwd after they have done it.

FSX or even the older version are very, very easy to install.

Configuration is done in more or less one place, and very little needs to be done unless you want to tweak the graphics, oh, make it "real" too.

I have used a few of these higher end plugins.

Pilot in command is good, but my fav is Level D or PMDG.

I should try yourself, and then come back here for some help, and use remote desktop or another person as a last ditch attempt.

X-Plane has the edge with physics, but i cant see the point in having advanced physics if your flying a B737/ETC as your just letting the auto-pilot do most the work, and your programming the fmc/auto p/checks/etc.

So my opinion is that for Auto-pilot stuff, FSX/2004 is more than good enough, and X-Plane is more for hands on flying as it does feel more realistic (Light GA).

The BA Mobile sim uses(d) FS2002 and with the joystick (yoke) setup correct, they lead me to think its pretty close to the real thing. Having never flow a real B737 i cant comment.

Parapunter
5th Mar 2009, 10:48
I tried a flightsim once. Never again. The problem with them for me is how tedious they are as entertainment.

You pretend to do all your checks, program the flight plan, take off, then...sit there for three hours while your pc flies down to Spain:p

Then you land the thing, which of course is very irritating if you stuff it, having waited three hours, so in all that, there is about ten minutes of interesting stuff to do.

This is probably why no one ever invented passenger sims, you know, a seat, a bad meal & a 7" tv with a movie you've seen before plus an expansion pack consisting of next door's unpleasant child who you can get round to kick the back of your chair all day.

F111D
5th Mar 2009, 12:03
BIG MISTER I will give it a try....

My questions is which version of FS are you running and what are your computer specs. The biggest problem with installing packages like this is the computer, while meeting the minimum specs shown on the box will not be able to handle the program.

Wilco Pilot in command 737 comes on a DVD and has a lot of extra stuff on it that is try before you buy. There is some free stuff on it too, like the Spitfire, but avoid the trial ware.

To Install, just place the DVD in your DVD drive and install it. It takes I think three clicks and you are ready to go.

Make sure you read the manual that came with the software, all 68 pages, to get the best out of the package.

dazdaz
5th Mar 2009, 16:14
Hi Big Mister
I recall one very helpful chap on this site 'rainboe' he really does fly the big jets and is most accommodating to all queries regarding flying/sims. It might be a idea to send him a PM?

Rainboe
5th Mar 2009, 22:47
Hello! Someone directed me here! Sorry, I may be a whizz with a 737, 747 or 757, but 'puters have me tearing my little remaining hair out! I greatly enjoyed one of the early sims, can't remember its name, but it was made by 'Looking Glass Technologies'. I liked the glider. Used to do some military sims- it was great fun shooting engines off big transports one by one. Then I got quite deep into Ilyushin2. I liked being a Stuka pilot. That was brilliant. But I could never get MS Flightsim to work satisfactorily- maybe it was crap! I thought the graphics were rubbish and it was totally unreal. Maybe that's why they've all been canned. I was always 'behind the curve' with the latest desktops to run these things (always slow upgrading because I was always away and never had much time- Mrs Rainboe always rude about computers- women don't like the competition for attention!). So sorry, I can help with the real thang, but not really computer planes. A magazine called PC Pilot may help you. But I do know the gear you use it on must be pretty good. One day I have promised myself one of those triple screen double graphics card arrangements!