PDA

View Full Version : My assertions that DLP rear projection was best.

Loose rivets
3rd Mar 2009, 18:16
Well, wrong again.

Since I argued on this and other forums that this was the best picture in the world, I feel I need to warn others about what's happened.

Not that the picture isn't the best in the world, I still think it is...or was, in my case. The new $1,430 light engine fixed the blue tint, but now the focus is just off.

It seems that dissatisfaction with the replacement optical unit is not unusual.

Since then I've found that Sony are dropping the technology like a hot and expensive stone. I'm insured, but the darn picture is so good that they (the retailer) are arguing that it's okay. After starting life as a tekkie and being the owner of one of the first Computer and Pro video companies in the UK that dealt in high end monitors...oh, and a photographer, I know it's just off. Trouble is that it's so subjective.

Anyway, my dream machine is furry, oh, and obsolete :mad:

Can't win 'em all I guess, but when 'posted' out to a place like this, however self-inflicted, T/V is something of an opium for the displaced. :(

Bushfiva
4th Mar 2009, 00:17
If this is the RA-4 chassis, I noticed the Sony training manual is over at scribd.com. We all know you're going to take the back off the thing sometime...

Loose rivets
16th May 2009, 10:51
Well, after about 4 MONTHS! Sears have finally agreed to give me a new telly. It seems I don't get to chose, because I'd picked the Samsung 46 120hz new offering withing the $1800 guidelines. I was moaning about having to pay sales tax again when they dropped the bombshell. I have to have what they want to give me.

A 52" Bravia 1080p doesn't sound too bad, but I really - after 30years of buying and indeed selling Sony High-end kit - I'd heard myself saying. "No More Sony!!" Shame, but they let everyone down whit that LCD projection kit. $half billion losses this year, much of it attributable to these failing optical blocks.

I'd heard of pelple having a bad time with retailers, but it had never happened to me before. At one stage I threatened to sue Sears...in their case it was all to do with little to no communication. yesterday, I had good communication, "Hold on! Hold on! then 23mins of music, followed by "Hello? Helo?" yep, someone wanted to use the phone. "WHO PUT ME ON HOLD.....etc etc." Doesn't do any good. had me at hair pulling stage so many times that I will never buy from them again. Not for anything. Think about this American institution descending to these levels.

Samsung are becoming a market leader with their new clearview screen. Stunning. But I said that before.

Sears...well, they're finished if they carry on like this. Someone in B-Buy said he's hearing my story all day long from disenchanted Sears customers. Such a shame, but when you can stand in front of 50 huge t/vs and there's only one harassed bloke to serve...and he's on the phone for a full 10 mins...well, what do they expect.

Bushfiva
16th May 2009, 11:55
If it's any consolation, there's a good chance that the screen tech in the Sony and the Samsung is the same, from their joint venture factory called S-LCD in Tangjung.

kwachon
16th May 2009, 12:04
LR, Ive had a 52" Sony Bravia DLP for 2 years now and had one bulb change, still sharp as ever and no screen burn. I love the thing, the colors etc are outstanding. The only bad issue I have is the sound is too low, I guess it was designed to be used with a surround system.

All in all though, best tv I have ever owned. (You might want to look at the HP DLP too)

Loose rivets
16th May 2009, 16:45
Kwachon That's encouraging.

I'm going to look at it today, if traffic not too bad. The mall is like the cultural centre here on a Saturday. (I know, I know :uhoh:)

I was aware of the joint manufacturing issue. The thing about Samsung is the clear screen, which I've always argued is what should be. Get the picture out of the telly, then make the room not spoil it. Not always possible in some homes I know, so an option of a fuzzy screen should be - and is, there.

Anyway, unless I can offload the new one to one of my neighbors, I'm kind of stuck with the 52" Bravia. I was looking forward to the 120Hz, but the main grumble seems to be the auto-dimming of the back light. ( Kwachon, have you noticed this ?) Okay when the room dims, but they do it for dark scenes. WTF??? :ugh: This one thing is leaping out of the forums, the rest sounds good. But this seemingly is driving people crazy.

I 'fixed' the AGC in me airplane many moons ago...maybe I can nobble that circuit. :hmm:

Anyway, I'm off to negotiate for an upgrade, and just swallow the tax...and even offer to lose the last months of insurance, if that's what's holding up the deal. Like negotiating with a monolith.

Tinstaafl
17th May 2009, 01:35
Any chance of getting one of Samsung's 7-series LED backlight DLPs? No more having to replace the light unit - the LEDs are supposed to give around 60,000 hrs of use - and no colour wheel to give rainbows. That's the TV I want. The small model (~60"), not the larger one (~72"?).

The price varies a bit. I heard of as low as US$999 on special from some mob in Texas last January to a more usual US$1300-$1600.

Loose rivets
17th May 2009, 03:28
Well, following my gut feeling that I was dealing 'in the Valley' and that all rules change here, I phoned Sears National Customer relations...for the second time. Give them their due, they had the story up to date.

A very switched-on lady said, not only can I change set type at this time, but that their replacement policy is (something like) a super deal. Also, I was right about the tax. If I was given $1800, and I spent $1801, I pay tax on the dollar. THANK YOU!!!

Having owned an Austin computer company some years ago, I was fairly sure we would have had to give back the sales tax if we had to refund a client. ( we never had to, cos I built ever single computer and tested it for two weeks. Not one single one went wrong - despite UPS.) Anyway, I've learned not to count me chickens...probably be offered a 1950s 9" under some pretext found in teeeeeeeenzy writing on the back of the screen cleaning bottle.

I'm going in on Monday armed with lots of little pieces of paper. I anticipate their counter-move being hiding of the staff. Not that you'd see much difference.

So, to get a pure LED machine is something that is on the cards cos I've got a $200 gift voucher to get rid of as well. I'll no doubt do all this then end up in an Essex flat with an obsolete 19"...that's what happened last summer.

Loyfss Loyke that, according to Dud and Pete.

Loose rivets
22nd May 2009, 06:15
This is really about morons selling what is really superb modern electronics. It's also about how one of the bigest retailers on Earth can fail to deliver the goods.

Over the years I read of people having nightmarish trials with retailers of high-tek kit. This is a first for me cos I can usually cause enough of a storm to get what I want. Not this time. They are unimpressed by some strange Gringo that talks funny...and doesn't even carry a gun.

Well, I went in on Monday. Deal done for the - New this year - Samsung 650 120Hz. I told them that B-B had one for less, and ended up paying nowt.

I knew that things were not going to go well when the thermal paper ran out in the till and he cut up some sales promotion paper and used that. You can just see the writing.

"Can't deliver it till the 20th."

It's only Sears. I wouldn't want to put this little company to any trouble, so I said Okay. Evening of the 19th, message says Ring before eight, and we'll let you know what time the set is coming.

"Eight in the morning!!!???" Says I. Anyway, I wanted out of the light engine arena, so I phoned.

Que? Que? .... never heard of me. Five calls later, they say that they need to "Bridge" to the installer. They can deliver, but not install. Very specialized, installing. A young lady uses her cell to call an 800 number 300 miles away.

I didn't want to be accused of busting it, so I agreed.

This evening A PRIVATE OPEN TRUCK PULLS UP, WITH ME BATTERED BOX IN THE BACK...along with stepladders and satellite dishes etc.

The packing polystyrene was so smashed that practically none of it is in one piece and some of the paperwork is missing.

The set goes, and is a heck of a step away from the monolith that I'd taken such care of. As I was getting the old box out of the garage, he plonked my old set on the drive, scratched his head at the mint condition packaging, and slid the $7,000* piece of kit - on its back - into the box. Well, I'm glad I didn't put a single fingermark on that for two and a half years.

So, what would you do if faced with madness like this? It (the new one) has obviously been dropped on one end...a testimony to packaging manufacturers.

4 months of dealing with utter morons. I feel defeated tonight, do I walk away, or demand a new set?

Tomorrow, I might just have the devil in me again.

* $2,400 + repairs now signed out by me for the remainder. No wonder Sony has lost over HALF A BILLION last year.

green granite
22nd May 2009, 07:04
Never mind you'll be able to buy your old one back on E-Bay for next to nothing. :ok:

Loose rivets
22nd May 2009, 17:35
Watched it last night. Nice bit of kit, but sadly the signal from the Up-? The up thingie that makes ordinary DVDs seem like 1080, switches the frame rate back to 60Hz. That's a shame. Maybe I'll try a Blue Ray.

This morning...No, to hell with it! Why should I take some piece of kit that might have been dropped?

Since the registration form was missing, I was suspicious that it had been out to another customer.

Phone Samsung...It was registered, but she couldn't - or wouldn't, tell me to whom. I had to fill in the form. Age, shoe size, they now know it all...put the serial number in. Number not available for registration. Young lady says, Yep, that means it's already registered...and not to me.

Back to customer relations. "I should definitely have a new set."

One waits with baited breath.

Loose rivets
24th May 2009, 04:38
A business-like man up north e-mailed the boss of Sears down here. I had a call from him within a couple of hours.

I have a new-new set coming. No ifs or buts.

If only I'd been able to talk to an executive a month ago...it would have saved more man-hours than you could shake a stick at.

When companies get so big that you can only talk to a computer or an answerphone, then it's time to have a serious re-think.

Everywhere, there remain reminders of what this company used to be. I purchased a wet-grindstone for my woodworking tools. It was on sale, but only one demo in stock. I could pick one up later, or have it delivered FREE OF CHARGE. It arrived UPS three days later. Just a hint of the old days.

Tinstaafl
24th May 2009, 07:23
Any reason you went for a 6 series Samsung? After all your light engine troubles I would have thought you'd avoid such types like the plague.

Loose rivets
24th May 2009, 15:38
Reviews. Picture. Joint manufacturing with Sony. It was within compensation budget so cost nowt.

It is difficult to accept Samsung as a major player, but then, look at some of the car manufacturers who's products would definitely not have been cool to be seen in. Serious competition for the big names.

As it happens, I used Samsung for my AutoCAD command set monitors. They sat beside 2,600 quid Eizo or Sony kit, and while the name didn't carry any status, they just worked. Never, ever, had one fail.

Tinstaafl
24th May 2009, 16:31
Fair enough. I've said said it before, but as much as I like DLP TVs I don't like having to replace lamps or the colour wheel artifacts - hence my interest in Samsung's 7 Series. Coloured LEDs replace both the lamp and the wheel.

frostbite
24th May 2009, 16:44
My Samsung has a good picture and sound, but the operating system is dire.

Ruins an otherwise nice product.

Loose rivets
24th May 2009, 20:26
I'm not sure how the ordinary LCD that I have now does the back lighting. Academic really, I'm not willing to spend on the latest super-skinny LED kit. It looks nice, but it's nearly twice the price here.

Without looking, I think Saab said on his thread that it was expensive there too.