PDA

View Full Version : Aaa Cp 45k??

The Green Goblin
2nd Mar 2009, 23:30
Does this small amount seem right???

You earn more as a VFR P68 driver, seems a tad low to be CASA's whipping boy, particularly considering the paperwork and personal risk if one of your 'subjects' has a stack.

I would have thought a single engine operation would be allowing closer to the 60k mark making it attractive for someone with a bit of know how and experience to fill the role, especially with Jabiru as the location!

Thoughts anyone??

the wizard of auz
2nd Mar 2009, 23:47
Strewth...... you can get more as a simple driver and not have to cop the heat.
I bet someone will take it on though.:ugh:

troppo
3rd Mar 2009, 01:57
To quote someone else on another thread a kiwi as a 'scavanger of the south pacific' will do it cheaper. Then all the under worked and over paid 'west' islanders will really have something to moan about.

the wizard of auz
3rd Mar 2009, 06:03
There ya go Vtail, thats a job for you mate. they might even let you loose in a C210 every now and then. :E

Grogbog
3rd Mar 2009, 07:01
$45k is good money for a kid with 500hrs and 9 months experience.

Who would want to be CASA's whipping boy and the Bosses bitch for $45k??? I suppose you do it for 6 - 12 months and get out with it on the CV for the airlines....

If they want a decent applicant with the industry knowledge AND experience to train and supervise junior pilots (most important) as well as manage and challenge the status quo when required to ensure a safe and successful operation they will need to offer a bit more dough.

As usual they offer peanuts, settle for inexperience and hope for hell that nothing serious happens on the inexperienced CP's watch.... They just keep their fingers crossed.

bushy
3rd Mar 2009, 11:40
And while GA is only considered as a stepping stone for junior skygods it will always be the same, and will never be as safe is it should and could be.

PCFlyer
3rd Mar 2009, 19:22
Are you guys taking the piss? Seriously?

Unless I'm not reading the GA Award correctly, 45k is around 7k ABOVE award!

How about attacking the problem not the symptoms.

KRviator
3rd Mar 2009, 21:46

How about attacking the problem not the symptoms. I think what people are saying is it isn't enough compensation for an experienced CP, and IMHO, operators offering these kind of $$ are the problem. While their employment page indicates they'll take brand new CPL's, and have probably already given quite a few blokes a start, so long as this kind of $$ is being offered, most people will see GA as nothing more than a stepping stone to the airlines, instead of the career which it can be.

$45,000 may be $7,000 above the GA Award, but I think you'll find if you look into that, that it applies to single-engine, day VFR operations as a line pilot. I dare say you'll find under the GA Award (if it is even covered) the CP of an operation is worth a lot more. And so they are...

Xcel
3rd Mar 2009, 22:21

How about attacking the problem not the symptoms.

think you will find if you have MECIR

that it is in fact only $500 or so above award.

34600 base plus 4600 cir 1k nvfr plus 10% cp

not worth it but definately better than casual or just 34 base if you only just meet the 500 command minimum.

YELOSUB
4th Mar 2009, 07:10
AAA was offering 50k for CP same time last year. I honestly think that 45k for a decent CP is an insult.

socks and thongs
4th Mar 2009, 09:06
God help the man or woman that signs up for 45k to have casa dangling above their head 7 days a week.

Signing up for that is well and truly sticking your head above the trench. In fact it's closer to getting right out of the trench with a bright pink mankini on and dancing around to vengaboys while throwing firecrackers in every direction.

45k? Not worth it.

puff
4th Mar 2009, 09:47
What dollar value can you put on a Jabiru base though?!? The driver of the bus dropping them off at the airport would be on more than that!

The Green Goblin
4th Mar 2009, 10:02
To me its just another slap in the face considering the events of last year. It would seem these operators have short memory's.

Scareflight will be up to the old tricks again, might even be able to rebuild the fleet that shrunk due to no pilots to fulfill the work, lots of greenies willing to be bonded 10K for the ole GA8 endo, pretty handy thing to have these days! The budgie will be having manditory Sunday prayers for potential recruits and a 200 flying hour unpaid line training component upon commencement of employment. I'm sure you've made it once you're checked on the Bongo though, all down hill from there.

Hopefully the good companies won't be tempted to reduce labour costs in the current economic climate :{

PCFlyer
4th Mar 2009, 21:03
KRviator and Xcel

Let me just say, yes I agree, 45k to essentially act as a go between with a business owner and Casa is not enough, however ...

Single Engine 1360kg & above award is $34,614

Where the pilot designated is responsible for:
A pilot who is designated as Chief Pilot and 10 pilots or less - 8%

34,614 + 2769.12 = $37,383.12 Total as per the award.

Pilots (excluding Fokker-28 pilots) who are required to carry out flying using an instrument rating will be paid an additional allowance as follows:
Command or Class 1 4669
Co-pilot or Class 2 3034
Night VFR or Class 4 1168

None of the above allowances apply as the operation is day vfr only.

They are only required by the award to pay $37,383.12 but are offering $45,000. So not a bad deal on the face of it.

Would I want that job for that pay? Hell no!

The company is in business to make money, nothing else.

The only way companies will pay more is a) if they must to fill the position, or b) they are made to, ie, the award is changed.

Simplistic view? Perhaps so, but whinging about these things on a pilot forum isn't going to change anything.

Grogbog
6th Mar 2009, 10:18
Jabiru isn't too bad a place compared to some of the sh1t holes I've lived in..... Just a bit hot and humid.

True, whinging on here is pointless but it's interesting to hear if this sort of poor remuneration package is the norm to offer for a CP's services. Maybe McDonalds is a better career option these days.

I would have thought that a competent CP worth having in the job would be worth more than $45k in todays world....

Why would you bother?

YELOSUB
6th Mar 2009, 22:22
Super is paid on top of the salary as far as i know.

bushy
7th Mar 2009, 01:01
Some Commercial pilots in outback areas are required to generate a separate income stream to support a commercial flying operation that employs them.

There will be no decent wages while this sort of thing goes on. This will also keep the operators poor, and ensure the continuation of the poor safety record of our GA.