PDA

View Full Version : Avalon 2009 Aircraft Attending?

BAZZA BOEING
2nd Mar 2009, 20:40
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone had seen a list of the possible aircraft attending/displaying at the airshow this year. I have been hunting around but cannot find any list anywhere not even on their own website :ugh: . I am coming over from Christchurch and will be attending the final three trade days and the night and weekend shows.

Cheers Bazza

Critical Reynolds No
2nd Mar 2009, 21:06
I feel sorry for folks coming from across the seas to see this show.

No they don't have a list. You find out on the day pretty much.

Skybus_319
2nd Mar 2009, 21:14
Commercial wise:
-QF A380 on the Sat
-QF 744 on the Sun
-VA 777 on the Fri/Sat

Wouldn't know whats confirmed for about the rest of the attending aircraft....Plenty of GA traffic over at Avalon East though:hmm:

VH-XXX
2nd Mar 2009, 22:18
Rest assured though that at-least one of the visiting American fighter-jets will have more horsepower than the entire Indianappolis 500 line-up!

pall
2nd Mar 2009, 22:28
Try and get any information out of Airshows Downunder and see how far you get. They are experts at telling us nothing. I have come to the conclusion that we should withdraw our support and let them flounder.

Who do they think they are.

bentleg
2nd Mar 2009, 23:26
I think you wil find one of the problems ASDU have is that a lot of military stuff doesnt get confirmed until the last minute.

Mick.B
3rd Mar 2009, 06:13
Its pathetic. You can look at any other airshows website and they will put up a preliminary list 3 months out. Sure not everthing may turn up. Were not going to kidnap and hold you for ransom Airshow organisers. If they think it is a world class airshow they should start acting like one. Defence airshows rock. Less security, more relaxed and alot more bang for your buck. Whats the point of a B-1 on static 50 meters away. I realy dont get it. Im strugling to find any positve feedback from a few other forums I visit. It shouldnt be like this.

Ps Dont forget the Nancy Bird flag drop, CFA candlelight parade and no wall of fire this year because of the fires. :mad::mad::mad:

They are acts you wont see anywhere in the world. Its gonna be huge.

Critical Reynolds No
3rd Mar 2009, 21:51
XXX wrote:
Rest assured though that at-least one of the visiting American fighter-jets will have more horsepower than the entire Indianappolis 500 line-up!

It's all part of the USA's "Global Reach, Global Power."

Critical Reynolds No
3rd Mar 2009, 21:55
The only point of the Wall of Fire was to impress the Bogongs from the Geelong area.:ugh:

Trojan1981
4th Mar 2009, 01:30
Defence airshows rock
??
They used to be good, but they have really become tame over the last 20 years or so and are now pretty boring.

The real aerobatic performers (RIP Pip) and new/rearely seen aircraft are what I find impressive. The economic climate is all wrong for that though. Defence expenditure is also being cut back pretty severely so that may also have an affect on what actually flies at the show.
There is not much the organisers can do about it.

VH-XXX
4th Mar 2009, 01:37
I can put on a few wingovers in a 172 if they are interested. I can also do a running commentary. Rest assured it would be more exciting than 60% of the content there :bored:

Rotor n Wings
4th Mar 2009, 21:15
The biggest LIGHT Aircraft show in AUSTRALIA, no tell about the heavy stuff, no GO the money lost due to tight lipped officials will ring the registers. The cost is pretty heavy to see the run of the mill aircraft, why bother it is like going to the car show a quick visit to dealers would have been better.

Bootstrap1
4th Mar 2009, 23:31
After volunteering at the 2007 airshow I was thoroughly disappointed by the people supervising the whole event. It seems that a lot of these people are aviation wannabes and can't get a job in the industry so they get a volunteer supervisor position and all of a sudden they are absolute experts in all things flying.

greyman03
5th Mar 2009, 00:41
We shouldn’t criticize the volunteers at the Avalon air show, they have sacrificed their time for our benefit. Just because they are incompetent, corrupt and Gestapo like gives up plenty of reason too.

Working for one of the biggest 5 company that attend Avalon every year the stories I can tell you about the volunteers at the air show are limitless. From the one volunteer (Who kept informing us his son is a policeman) that would take our number plate details every day because we didn’t park in the next spot vacant spot he pointed at, but instead dropped important clients off at the gate to the story of the volunteers giving us unlimited access to anywhere we want at anytime for the cost of a few of the much sought “aircraft pins”

For the majority of them, this is the biggest event in their lives and they are normally wither bewildered by the colour and movement or empowered with some overwhelming sence of being the enforcers of some mythical militant justice squad.

God only know what this year will bring.

Critical Reynolds No
5th Mar 2009, 04:17
Disgraceful. It's only one Russian. Trying to get back to the old days eh ADU?

http://www.airshow.net.au/avalon2009/PDFs/AS2009-media-release-march09.pdf

Sunstar320
5th Mar 2009, 08:49
FYI, 3xF-16's arrived this evening along with a F-15 and a huge KC135

Mick.B
5th Mar 2009, 09:02
2 Rhinos were doing their thing over Geelong today also.

tipsy2
5th Mar 2009, 09:40
a huge KC135

I didn't think they were that much bigger than a 707:confused:

Now if it was a C5, then huge could be apt.

Bullethead
5th Mar 2009, 10:04
Quote: a huge KC135

I didn't think they were that much bigger than a 707

They're not, a KC135 is about a 95% scale model of a B707 and was originally called a B717.

The KC-135 is derived from the original Boeing jet transport "proof of concept" demonstrator, the Boeing 367-80 (commonly called the "Dash-80"). As such, it has a narrower fuselage and is shorter than the Boeing 707 jetliner. Boeing gave the tanker the designation of Model 717.

Regards,
BH.

Critical Reynolds No
5th Mar 2009, 22:24
Owen Stanley said
You bloody beauty, an F15 and an F16, never seen them before

The last airshow was very average I thought, the connie at night was excellent, and the airforces new big bird the rest a big yawn.

If you were at the last Avalon airshow, how come you didn't see the f-16 or F-15? Or do I smell a bit of sarcasm?:ugh:

Trojan1981
5th Mar 2009, 23:27
Now if it was a C5, then huge could be apt.

Yeah, we don't see them anymore. Anyone remember the AN-124 at Richmond?:E
Thats the kind of thing I want to see!

Critical Reynolds No
5th Mar 2009, 23:55
Rememebr the 124 very well. Didn't they get in trouble for not wanting to fly on the Sunday?

The Beluga (cousin of the Dugong) was there one year. Did a An-224 appear?

Trojan1981
6th Mar 2009, 01:11
I was told (third hand information) that they were not permitted to fly on the sunday due to the nature of the first display.
Might be wrong...just what I was told.

airtags
6th Mar 2009, 02:24
Trojan
yep remember seeing the AN at Richmond - it was impressive if for no other reason but sheer scale.

AT

Critical Reynolds No
6th Mar 2009, 04:15
Thanks OS. Maybe we need a sarcasm icon for younger players:ok:

damo1089
6th Mar 2009, 07:43
Rest assured they will not have the aircraft that appears on their airshow advertisement :ugh:
What they will have (based on past experiences)
F 18s
F16s, complete with amazing commentary, and a reassurance of how America will blow us to bits if we ever mess with them.
F15s
C 17s
Hawks
Hercs
Maybe an American tanker.
The full range of ADF choppers.
Australian Customs Tent :)
Roulettes
Funny looking GA planes
Warbirds
four dollar Frosty Fruits
To see the VA 777 and QF A380 will be cool, if they are there.

VH-XXX
6th Mar 2009, 07:58
But WAIT there's more!

ADF Tent
Cool indoor displays that disappear promptly at 12pm Friday
Some kind of UAV on display
Numerous top-end aircraft manufacturers, Cirrus, Cessna
Couple of Citation type machines that NOBODY can ever afford
Many corporate helicopters that don't fly, there for advertising purposes
Numerous local GA flying schools with their showpiece 1981 Cessna 172
Numerous local RA-Aus schools with their Jabiru's
Local model RC club that whinge about their slot being pulled
Dagwood dogs

What would be nice if they have it there this year is to have a go of that little tethered helicopter that you can fly without assistance/instructor - it's on a big arm and flies around on a pad about 10x10 metres.

damo1089
6th Mar 2009, 11:05
is VH-XXX actually your rego? Cause THAT would be cool, and worthy of an airshow appearance.

Engineer_aus
6th Mar 2009, 12:29
HARS are only bringing the connie and one C47, poor show compared to previous years. Historical Aircraft Restoration Society (http://www.HARS.org.au)

Stop ECAM
6th Mar 2009, 12:45
It's easy to criticize, so I will. Having had some past knowledge with the people who run this thing, they certainly have the impression that they do a fantastic job. Heads firmly buried in dark places and ego's that can astound.

When I used to go, I was wanting to see the military fast stuff, because that was what I thought 'International Airshows Downunder' would provide, but had to wait until the end of the day to see about an hour of this. So, I suppose they provided it, but in extremely limited quantity. The rest of the day was filled with war birds doing their thing, and at 1 'show' they appeared 3 freakin' times. Then model aircraft filled part of the day. These latter things you can go and see nearly every other weekend at MNG, Lilydale or another country strip.

Most of the adds telling people to come along indicate the huge variety of the fast hardware that only operates for the last hour. Has been, for what they call International Airshow Downunder, a huge disappointment and embarrassment. Really, war-birds 3 times in the day and the big stuff is just a static display, which is good, but only that, static.

They really should change the name to the much more appropriate

"Geelong Shire Council Air Display"

where you can see, you guessed it - war-birds, model aircraft flying, a powered glider, aerobatic bi-planes, and if you're really lucky an F111 "MAY" do a dump & burn for the 20th time.

Just my opinion.

VH-XXX
6th Mar 2009, 20:49
Unfortunately VH-XXX is not available, it's almost the only rego that's permenanently off the register. Probably because X-Ray, X-Ray, X-Ran sounds too much like MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY.

I actually tried to get LLL when I built my last machine however some wally had it on hold for like 5 years which was a bit unfair!

Thin Air
6th Mar 2009, 22:34
You guys are a sorry bunch of tainted know-it-all individuals, who have obviously seen and done it all!

If you don't want to see these aircraft, then don't go. The airshow is not the "insert- your-names-here Airshow", it is staged to give the "ice-cream licking public" a chance to see aircraft they wouldn't normally see in their day to day 'non-aviation lives', and companies to do business. It is a chance for kids to see some fast stuff, oldies to see some old stuff and people to learn about aviation.

Some of you guys should set up a stall, it would be the one-stop-shop for everything you ever wanted to know about aviation, you could call it "Yawn..been there, done that Aviation".

Who knows, those 'boring' F-15/16's might inspire a kid to fly and put some fresh blood into our skies.

ADF Tent
Cool indoor displays that disappear promptly at 12pm Friday
Some kind of UAV on display
Numerous top-end aircraft manufacturers, Cirrus, Cessna
Couple of Citation type machines that NOBODY can ever afford
Many corporate helicopters that don't fly, there for advertising purposes
Numerous local GA flying schools with their showpiece 1981 Cessna 172
Numerous local RA-Aus schools with their Jabiru'sXXX-whit, some of these things are actually trying to get people INTO aviation; probably not good for you guys, as it would reduce the whingeing you could do about 'our dying industry'.

Dagwood dogsYou guys need something to keep your energy up, walking around saying 'seen it before, flew yesterday, designed it, this is sh&t' is hard work!

Here's an idea, stay home, and let those yet untainted by your pettiness have a chance of enjoying themselves.

mickk
6th Mar 2009, 22:58
I am the ice cream licking public!

Its become nothing more than a glorified country show. $50 bucks to stand facing into the sun all day, feet soaked with piss from the overflowing urinals.

Same old same old and I wont be paying to get in this time around. Instead I will stand on the road with the sun to my back. I am sick to death of the same old warbirds filling half the show, as they do every other show. Its because they run on the smell of an oily rag compared to the jets. ASDU is to miserable to pay for NEW a/c to attend. Instead its donating 250,000 to the already overflowing bushfire appeal, aint 200 million enough? No dump and burn, wall of fire or pyro out of respect for bushfire victims, what an indulgent load of crap.

Nothing new, curtailed flying displays, no prior info given, its a scam from start to finish.

2009 will feature a host of commercial aircraft for you to enjoy. Jeststar, Virgin, Tiger and co, every 20 minutes the "show" will stop so we can witness the awe inspiring spectacle of take off and landings. You know you can watch these for nought at Tulla, so why pay 50 bucks?

Be prepared for a lot of dust if you are fool enough to pay to get in.

"Who knows, those 'boring' F-15/16's might inspire a kid to fly and put some fresh blood into our skies."

What a stupid comment, do you think they can sign up in a tent and be in blues on the monday?

Sunstar320
6th Mar 2009, 23:17
We all know QJ/VA will be there...but Tiger and DJ??? Since when?

naild
7th Mar 2009, 00:46
I reckon we should invite some of the skyairworld and DJ aircraft that are on the ground for the next little while to the airshow:}

we could pay $2 to sit in the cabin and maybe a little more to sit in the flightdeck and be "el - capiiitaaan'':cool:

This is how the little guy can help the big guy.

I still think we should show alot more AUS flying off. AMSA Do-328's, The A320 that goes to ice down south - stuff like that!!

You could have a smooth landing comp between the airlines and have the crowd vote on them - no auto landings, though it may be cool to compare:8

Thin Air
7th Mar 2009, 02:07
"Who knows, those 'boring' F-15/16's might inspire a kid to fly and put some fresh blood into our skies."

What a stupid comment, do you think they can sign up in a tent and be in blues on the monday?MikkK.

Sorry, didn't realise English was your second language:

in⋅spire

  verb, -spired, -spir⋅ing. –verb (used with object)
1. to fill with an animating, quickening, or exalting influence:
2. to produce or arouse (a feeling, thought, etc.): to inspire confidence in others.
3. to fill or affect with a specified feeling, thought, etc.: to inspire a person with distrust.
4. to influence or impel: Competition inspired her to greater efforts.
5. to animate, as an influence, feeling, thought, or the like, does: They were inspired by a belief in a better future.
6. to communicate or suggest by a divine or supernatural influence: writings inspired by God.
7. to guide or control by divine influence.
8. to prompt or instigate (utterances, acts, etc.) by influence, without avowal of responsibility.
9. to give rise to, bring about, cause, etc.: a philosophy that inspired a revolution. 10. to take (air, gases, etc.) into the lungs in breathing; inhale.

You might be thinking of 'recruit'

–noun
1. a newly enlisted or drafted member of the armed forces.
2. a new member of a group, organization, or the like.
3. a fresh supply of something.
–verb (used with object)
4. to enlist (a person) for service in one of the armed forces.
5. to raise (a force) by enlistment.
6. to strengthen or supply (an armed force) with new members.
7. to furnish or replenish with a fresh supply; renew.
8. to renew or restore (the health, strength, etc.).
9. to attempt to acquire the services of (a person) for an employer: She recruits executives for all the top companies.
10. to attempt to enroll or enlist (a member, affiliate, student, or the like): a campaign to recruit new club members.
11. to seek to enroll (an athlete) at a school or college, often with an offer of an athletic scholarship.

Inspiration can come from seeing a fast jet or a slow biplane.

Can you remember your first airshow? Seen any great flying that has inspired you? You don't have to join the Armed Forces just because you see a jet - you might just want to fly.

mickk
7th Mar 2009, 03:55
Take the lil brat to Tulla to watch the planes and save yourself some dough.

BAZZA BOEING
7th Mar 2009, 05:26
Hey does anyone have the Display Freqs for the Airshow. I have the other freqs off the AIP for the show but not the Display one.:ugh:

Cheers Bazza

bentleg
7th Mar 2009, 08:04
does anyone have the Display Freqs for the Airshow

I have been a volunteer at the last three airshows. During displays the field is closed to other traffic and the display pilots call on the CTAF frequency (as they should). The airshow people have internal communication on UHF and non airband VHF. As I understand it these frequencies are not used by display pilots. If I find out otherwise next week I will post here.

Critical Reynolds No
7th Mar 2009, 09:13
There is a ringmaster frq. Forget what they used last time.

Critical Reynolds No
7th Mar 2009, 09:18
Wasn't "triple x-ray" a Pitts based at Bankstown in the early 90s?

hatti
7th Mar 2009, 09:26
B1B was planned from Rapid City(USA) to Avalon (23 hour flight), yesterday.
Don't know whether it made it?

Feather #3
7th Mar 2009, 10:20
Hot off the press, HARS are taking the Connie and our two C-47B's to the show.

The second C-47B is going down Monday [the others Thursday] to qualify the IAF Parachute Team for their Oz display. The C-47B's are the only para-Daks around at the moment.

G'day ;)

gav_20022002
7th Mar 2009, 10:41
"B1B was planned from Rapid City(USA) to Avalon (23 hour flight), yesterday.
Don't know whether it made it?"

apparently it made it to YMML then did a tire in on landing........ managed to close RW16 for a while though

Sunstar320
7th Mar 2009, 21:15
Noticed a Strategic 330 around the Altona Area last night, anyone confirm its attendance?

bentleg
7th Mar 2009, 22:10
Wasn't "triple x-ray" a Pitts based at Bankstown in the early 90s?

Are you thinking of VH-FFF a Pitts currently at Bankstown (Red Baron) which sometimes calls as "Triple Fox" ?

QFF
8th Mar 2009, 07:09
What about a list of exhibitors - who's going to be there showing off their wares?

I can't seem to find one on the official airshow website. Very glitzy affair with countdown timer etc but unfortunately not much useful information (to me anyway).

soseg
8th Mar 2009, 07:21
a380 apparently only on saturday? 747 on sunday?

thats lame

those two and the 777 should be there al 3 days, lined up next to eachother for a size comparison

what bastards
i want the a380 on friday

povopilot
8th Mar 2009, 08:35
There is currently a C5, C17, KC135, B1 and some USAF fast jets on the ground there. No doubt if they all stay there for the public days they will be on static display 500 metres behind a fence. It is a shame that HARS will not be bringing the Catalina and Neptune - can you shed any light on this Feather #3?.

Once again it looks like nothing from the Russian's, Pom's or any other European/Asian country. Come on ASDU get you have had 2 years to plan this and still can't give us a heads up as to what we might expect.

Does anyone know who the Aerobatic pilot's are that will be performing, as it seems we have lost a few of the better one's in recent times?

With all that said i am still going to pay my $50 to get in, but i feel sorry for the punters that just wanna see some flames and loud noises.

mickk
8th Mar 2009, 08:54
There is an RAAF flypast tomorrow 12.30ish over the shrine.

I loved the Catalina. If more people knew what these did in WW2, we would have one stuffed and mounted next to Phar Lap.

Last time around, I amost hugged the thing. Tapping on its belly was like tapping on Tank. Its hard to believe how they fly, let alone gracefully.

The Orgasnisers are a law unto themselves. Its all about networking and profits, the public comes about 10th in the list of priorities.

Its such a shame. It really could be one of the worlds best, if it was run for the public.

If you pay 50 bucks, you can see who gets paid what. Dont boter, I have, and theres half a dozen people being paid 6 figure salaries. Then there is not much else, if you get my drift. Lots of payments to companies that do nothing but work for ASDU which is ahem, interesting.

Rotor n Wings
8th Mar 2009, 09:43
Thin Air

Have a gasp of oxygen it will do you some good.

Wunwing
8th Mar 2009, 09:50
Povo

The HARS Catalina is currently under major rebuild to WW2 status and is not flyable. Should be complete later in the year.

IOY, the ex RAAF Neptune is airworthy, but I don't think that she was invited. LRR, the French Neptune is still not airworthy.

Wunwing

Mick.B
8th Mar 2009, 10:22
Whats the deal with some of our reginal neigbours. Malaysia with their Migs, India with their stuff, Singapores F-16s and so on. Our stuff have been attending their shows for years now. Maybe we dont invite them.

ozaggie
8th Mar 2009, 10:42
What's a reginal neigbour......:}

airtags
8th Mar 2009, 22:26
ozaggie:
"What's a reginal neigbour......http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/badteeth.gif"

Answer:
Probably someone from a nearby country that is either your employer or owns (or is about to own) a good chuck of your company. Failing that it's someone in another country to whom our govt is happy to give hefty trade and tax concessions and lots of our taxes in subsidies and grants...............

Like all good neighbours - they are hard to find, or too busy when you need the favours returned !

Owen is quite right. The shine has gone off the airshow in many ways, even for the public ....
- [unconfirmed]: I believe the punters won't even be able to walk through the A380

AT :E

Stationair8
8th Mar 2009, 23:56
Mikk a very good comment in relation to the mighty Catalina and its efforts during WW2. Have you seen the locally made DVD on the Catalina?

mickk
9th Mar 2009, 04:42
No I dont think I have seen that one! I have some cats on UK dvds, theres not a lot of them flying now.

VH-Cheer Up
9th Mar 2009, 05:45
Once had the privilege of speaking with Sir Philip Opas about his experience on the Catalina. At the time there used to be one parked at Essendon, but haven't seen that one for years.

Don't know of any flying Catalinas any more, but there's a wonderful Sunderland at Weeks Fantasy of Flight which is well worth a visit if you're ever in Florida: Fantasy of Flight, World's Greatest Aircraft Collection 1929 New Standard Biplane Rides (http://www.fantasyofflight.com/collection.htm)

------
EDIT: There's one flying in NZ: YouTube - Consolidated PBY5a Catalina Flying Boat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FggJVZmDWvs)

povopilot
9th Mar 2009, 06:27
Errr Back Seat Driver, perhaps go back about 10 or so posts.

mickk
9th Mar 2009, 06:40
The one that flew last Airshow at Avalon was VH-PBZ.

flog
9th Mar 2009, 06:44
There was a US pilot in something with callsign "Wild 1" on centre frequency west of YMAV on Saturday, anyone know what it was?

Mick.B
9th Mar 2009, 07:31
Might have been the B-1 from Tulla. It went over to Avalon about 4.50pm today.

bentleg
9th Mar 2009, 08:46
does anyone have the Display Freqs for the Airshow I have been a volunteer at the last three airshows. During displays the field is closed to other traffic and the display pilots call on the CTAF frequency (as they should). The airshow people have internal communication on UHF and non airband VHF. As I understand it these frequencies are not used by display pilots. If I find out otherwise next week I will post here.

120.1 (YMAV Tower) is the only frequency used by the pilot whilst flying a display sequence.

W800i
9th Mar 2009, 09:24
Unfortunately I will miss the trip to Avalon this time around. I think for all
of its issues it is primarily a trade show with the public days tacked on the end.
I usually pay the extra and get a gold class ticket and thus a seat and a clean toilet.
I would say to any organisers whom might be reading these posts that you should
pay careful attention to people throwing their gold passes over the fence to friends
and relatives so they can get in as well. I really don't think it is fair or reasonable to
expect young cadets to be watching out for cheap mongrels. Last time around
the Security was non existent in the gold area. I saw plenty of arguments between
people whom had an allocated seat with people whom were sitting in their seats.
Their was no one to complain to other than a very young military cadet.
What were they going to do!!
If you go I hope you enjoy the show!

Critical Reynolds No
9th Mar 2009, 12:09
I saw 4 burly "geelong" lads just walk into the gold area last time.

povopilot
10th Mar 2009, 09:22
There is now a list published on the website........

AVALON 2009 - AUSTRALIAN INTERNATIONAL AIRSHOW AND AEROSPACE & DEFENCE EXPOSITION - 10-15 March 2009 GEELONG VICTORIA (http://www.airshow.net.au/avalon2009/index.html)

Does not look like much from HARS and we all know the story with Temora. Hopefully the B1 flies.

Oh and as for the cliche's don't forget the obligatory B52 fly over complete with "Bad guy" music and a commentary telling us how it has just flown in from Guam.

tmpffisch
10th Mar 2009, 09:33
There was a US pilot in something with callsign "Wild 1" on centre frequency west of YMAV on Saturday, anyone know what it was?

I heard him on ML Radar.....took ATC a good few moments of 'please repeat your callsign' before they realised what was going on. :ugh:

soseg
10th Mar 2009, 11:22
yea pretty shattering that the aircraft repeat each year... ive been going to the airshows since 2003... although I'm told there once was a sukhoi jet back in the 1990s?

Getting quite repetitive... but it is once every two years... so may as well... nothing else to do.

and yes, dont drink much or eat much on the day - your best bet is keeping clear of the portable toilets

Teal
10th Mar 2009, 12:26
'97 was the first Avalon airshow for me. Yes repetitive - I skipped 2007 - but I still enjoy it nonetheless. The black cat in 2005 was a big thrill to see and to get inside. My grandfather was in the RAAF during WW2 and worked in search & rescue ops with these aircraft.

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/essendonfc/catalina2-2005airshow.jpg

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/essendonfc/catalina-2005airshow.jpg

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/essendonfc/catalina3-2005airshow.jpg

http://www.pprune.org/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/essendonfc/catalina2-2005airshow.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

PyroTek
10th Mar 2009, 12:39
My God! That catalina would be damned hot inside!

Yeah, I'm heading down... First time. Hoping for the best.

mostlytossas
10th Mar 2009, 13:52
The weather is not looking too flash at this stage for the Saturday which will curtail a lot of fly in aircraft and air display if it is.

Sunfish
10th Mar 2009, 15:01
Aircraft attendance is looking extremely thin. I'll just go to look at the smaller aircraft.

Cloud Basher
10th Mar 2009, 16:57
Critical Reynold number,
You are thinking of VH-ZZZ, "Triple Zulu". I know the pilot who used to do a lot of those displays very well and he has taught me a few tricks in the Pitts Special as well!

Cheers
CB

BD1959
11th Mar 2009, 01:48
I've decided to take my godson's Grandfather otherwise I wouldn't be attending - even now might pull the plug if the weather is as forecast. Really enjoyed seeing the Connie and Cat last time out ... maybe I'm just getting old.

Does anyone have a link to the Airservices documentation for flying into AVE?

BD

Critical Reynolds No
11th Mar 2009, 02:25
http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications/current/sup/s9-h01.pdf

flog
11th Mar 2009, 04:09
Instrument CASA EX11/09 permits a pilot from the United States of America (the USA) to land on the back of a moving vehicle during a display performance at the Australian International Air Show 2009 (the AIAS 2009).

JaseAVV
11th Mar 2009, 07:22
Saw RAAF Hornet, USAF F-16CJ, USN F/A-18F and RAAF F-111C and a couple of prop aircraft fly today.

No B1B or F-15 display :(

Hornets were both awesome. F-16 seemed to be flying his display on a line further west of the runway which made his display a bit dull as he never flew near the crowd.

The F-111 had some sort of malfunction mid-routine and landed.
He was heading south west after a pass and suddenly began flying very conservatively and lowered the landing gear and made a very large circuit to land runway 18.

The idiotic announcing did not make mention of this and acted like there was nothing wrong.
The same thing happened a few years back when the RAAF Hornet (the year Simmo was flying it) suddenly went all slow and shut down one engine and landed. Even with the airport fire trucks following it up the runway on a public day there was still no info on what had happened and the announcers acted like nothing was wrong.

I realise this is embarrassing for the RAAF when an aircraft gets broken but it's interesting for me.
As a contrast I saw the Blue Angels at NAS Oceana in 2002 and the opposing solo aircraft went unserviceable during taxi out and the broadcasters explained to everyone what was happening and we all watched as he took it back and jumped in the media two seater instead.

The other thing that annoys me about our military is the big secret attitude. The guys on the M1 Abrams tank were paranoid that someone was going to take a photo of the drivers station and were warning us not to.

I remember seeing this panel...photo freely available on the internet...

http://afvdb.50megs.com/usa/pics/m1a1driver1.jpg

BFW

bentleg
11th Mar 2009, 09:46
Saw RAAF Hornet, USAF F-16CJ, USN F/A-18F and RAAF F-111C and a couple of prop aircraft fly today.

No B1B or F-15 display

The B1B flew yesterday and will be flying again. Awesome sight.

Another interesting happening today was a landing by Jetstar when the pilot declared a steering malfunction and had be towed the full length of the runway back to the terminal. No mention by the announcer of course, but all could be heard on airband freq. It was an hour between landing and disembarkation.

tmpffisch
11th Mar 2009, 10:25
Video - Airshow: plane lands on ute - The Age (http://media.theage.com.au/?category=Breaking%20News&rid=46883)

Avalon airshow pilot Kent Pietsch demonstrates the right way to land a plane on top of a ute.

JaseAVV
11th Mar 2009, 10:34
yeah felt sorry for the pax on that J* sitting up the end of the runway. Someone sitting in about the 5th window on the right side was still cheery enough to wave to us as they towed past. :O

Was there anything on the airband about the F-111?

Oh and am hoping to catch the Bone on Sat, want to see the A-380 arrive at 0800 as well.

BD1959
11th Mar 2009, 11:22
Thanks CRN :ok:

BD

Best Rate
11th Mar 2009, 11:54
Reference the Pig, I heard old mate mention on twr freq that they had a nose gear door (minor) indication issue...

All in all, a reasonable Wed trade show display I thought..

Personally, I was hoping to see the RNZAF Fifty Seven make a more spectacular dep when it left 18L late in the day...

BR

VH-XXX
11th Mar 2009, 12:03
Interesting in the video him stating that only a "hand full" have landed on a vehicle before.

I recall Ray Hill of Mangalore doing this near 20 years ago at the Mangalore airshow!

He also did the BEST stolen aircraft routine you will EVER see! (in a Drifter). Whenever he was practicing the routine people would call in to the office and mention that they saw someone trying to kill themselves at the edge of the field. The replied with, "Oh, that's just Ray practicing his routine!"

tobz92_ymen
11th Mar 2009, 20:44
anyone know what the dress code is for trade entry ? and how strict they are on it

lamancha73
11th Mar 2009, 21:13
I have a question similair to tobz92_ymen, I have a complimentary trade day pass for friday morning. How strict are they with you being an "accredited industry visitor"? I got my pass from a friend whose company he works for has an exhibition stand there.
Cheers,

VH-XXX
11th Mar 2009, 21:39
If you have a pass... that is the point.... you ARE considered industry! Tell them you work for a flying school office or something. It's just to stop the ankle-biters really.

Dress Code? Anything but a man-kini should get you in, it's hardly the Ritz out there! With the weather right now you won't be in shorts and a t-shirt anyway.

flog
11th Mar 2009, 23:06
Anyone have the frequencies they're using for everything at the show?

Yes I know, TWR, but are there others in use?

Edit: And after actually getting off my lazy arse and reading the SUP it looks like
120.1 TWR
129.3 APRON
135.7 Centre

Any others?

soseg
12th Mar 2009, 00:52
My question is this...

if the weather does go cactus how do you know whether the show gets cancelled?

I remember 2 years ago it was windy and I was 50/50 on going thinking planes doing stunts and stuff would be crazy in the winds but it went ahead....

I just want to know, if they draw the line.... say for example low cloud/vis/wind or rain(which i wouldnt come if its raining but it never rains in vic)... how does the public find out without making the damn drive to avalon?

last time I checked the website etc couldnt get anything regarding any info

Sunfish
12th Mar 2009, 03:18
I have just returned from exactly Two hours spent at Avalon Airshow. My advice is that unless you have a highly specific need to see someone or some particular object, or have never, ever been to an airshow before, then don't waste your money. It's pathetic. Same old, same old, with even less stuff than before.

If I hadn't had a complementary pass given to me by a friend, I would have been asking for my money back. Don't believe the "industry only" BS. The little bald bearded gnomes with the leather cowboy hats, cameras and waistcoats full of pins are all there.

Liklik balus
12th Mar 2009, 03:31
I totally agree with Sunfish. I went yesterday and after having attended everyone since its inception I can only say it was a rip off and a complete waste of time. The "flying" display was abysmal, lacked imagination and aircraft! Bring back othe old days of the Russians, Bob Hoover and his ilk. The 2011 show will need to improve dramatically otherwise it's f**cked!
(perhaps it is just reflecting the current state of aviation!!!!!!)

VH-XXX
12th Mar 2009, 04:32
If it is not blatantly obvious to those of you that have already been this year, you visited on the TRADE show days. Trade shows are about exactly that, TRADE. If you want flying displays, aerobatics and commentary, go on Friday from 2pm - Sunday along with the families who come for what it sounds like you wanted to go for !

Trade days are for those interested in purchasing aircraft or components and industry and Defence industries etc and there just happens to be some flying thrown in there, usually for practice purposes for the Friday - Sunday sessions.

PS: Need a cheap new ELT, if anyone saw one cheap there, let me know!

mickk
12th Mar 2009, 08:11
Well everyone was warned, trade day or not, theres a lame and tame lineup of Military a/c.

The novelty of looking at acres of parked light a/c wore off years ago. 90% of people are not interested in seeing things they can see at any Australian airport.

They will be lucky to get 30-50000 per day, with all else that is on in melb this weekend and the weather forecast.

Might knock some sense into them, but I know they will blame "recession".

It would be so easy to make it a blockbuster. Just get all the Mil Jets to take off one after the other and do laps and flypasts for 30 minutes, chaos in the sky, then all go home at 2.

OR just invite the US, UK, FR or IT display teams.

GAWD not even the Roulettes.

Its really a disgrace. So many people will feel ripped off. It should have been half price. Im told even the model kit sellers have stayed at home.

Fly_by_wire
12th Mar 2009, 11:00
Whats the best way to get there(apart from flying in :P)? Train from the city?? Anyone have any experiences getting the train? Im flying down from BN for the friday night + saturday but staying in town fri night after the night show :ok:

Ovation
12th Mar 2009, 11:19
tmpffisch wrote:

Avalon airshow pilot Kent Pietsch demonstrates the right way to land a plane on top of a ute.

Here is a link to demonstrate what happens when you get it wrong.........

http://http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6044114717260599630 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6044114717260599630) :O

Philthy
12th Mar 2009, 11:38
Well I thought the Hornet four-ship that flew today wasn't bad. Beats the singletons they've had nearly every other year...

Sunfish
12th Mar 2009, 20:52
VH-XXX:

If it is not blatantly obvious to those of you that have already been this year, you visited on the TRADE show days. Trade shows are about exactly that, TRADE. If you want flying displays, aerobatics and commentary, go on Friday from 2pm - Sunday along with the families who come for what it sounds like you wanted to go for !

Trade days are for those interested in purchasing aircraft or components and industry and Defence industries etc and there just happens to be some flying thrown in there, usually for practice purposes for the Friday - Sunday sessions.

PS: Need a cheap new ELT, if anyone saw one cheap there, let me know!

Taking your last point first, Skylines has their usual shop, complete with ELT's, and the AusSar boys at their stand will register it for you on line while you wait......but I've already done that.

Of course it's a trade day, I'm sure Airbus sold lots of Airbuses on its stand yesterday. Same with all the Defence BS, might there be an air show discount on F35's? Last time I bought a pair of Bose headphones, didn't see a bose stand this time, but maybe I wasn't looking. This time I was hoping for some gadgetry shop, since I want a gadget to integrate an Ipod with my headphones, and oh yes, I almost forgot! I'd rather like someone to tell me of the virtues of some of the aircraft around since I'm trying to pluck up the courage to part with some ready's for something aeronautical.

There was a C172 and 182 (special show deal on a C172 - $20,000 extras package) There were Two Cirri(?) and the rebadged Columbia/Cessna 400. I didn't see anything from Piper. There was Tecnam, Alpi, Evector and Jabiru and that was about it. The sales people looked bored and uninterested.

Acres of business jets and corporate helicopters don't do anything for me and the military had nothing new to show.

The nicest aircraft at the show was a beautifully restored Stinson.

...And I'm sick of the Two Squirrels helicopter ballet:yuk:

To put it another way, you've seen one Cri - Cri, you' ve seen 'em all.

bentleg
12th Mar 2009, 20:56
One of the B1B aircrew told me the B1B will be flying Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

mickk
13th Mar 2009, 00:19
Thats good news, although I will believe it when I see it!

Weather is looking decidedly poor.

Very humid today, limiting pics, just hope a sea breeze kicks in this arvo to clear the air. Then again storms could develop late this arvo, throwing the night time show into chaos.

Tomorrow, a front is expected, timing is crucial. Its looking like dawn till lunch time will be very unsettled could end up with 8/8 murk with embedded storms. Sunday with the front through should be showery, but better chance of everything flying if it clears in time.

Its no better than 50/50 odds of it being worth going down at all.

mickk
13th Mar 2009, 00:22
The train is a breeze, then theres a 5 min shuttle to the gate. Its really easier and better than driving. Cost ya 15 bucks return.

mostlytossas
13th Mar 2009, 00:58
I know of two light aircraft from Adelaide that have pulled out due to the weather. Nothing worse than getting all the way to Ballarat then having to turn back. Damn bad luck though this time of year, usually late Feb to Anzac day best flying weather in southern parts for year.

povopilot
13th Mar 2009, 20:36
The TAF for today reads like war and peace. Not looking promising.

cogwheel
13th Mar 2009, 20:45
Where are the Roulette's???? A no show so far!

Slezy9
13th Mar 2009, 21:15
More than 4 lines, have the day off!

AVALON (YMAV)
TAF AMD YMAV 131622Z 1316/1418
02005KT 2000 MIST BKN001
FM131700 35015KT 9999 LIGHT RAIN FEW020 BKN080
BECMG 1322/1324 25022G35KT 9999 LIGHT SHOWERS OF RAIN SCT025 BKN050
BECMG 1408/1410 32014KT 9999 LIGHT SHOWERS OF RAIN SCT030 BKN045
TEMPO 1322/1404 4000 RAIN BKN010
INTER 1404/1409 4000 SHOWERS OF RAIN BKN010
INTER 1415/1418 4000 SHOWERS OF RAIN BKN010
PROB30 1317/1318 2000 MIST BKN002
PROB30 INTER 1322/1405 2000 THUNDERSTORMS WITH RAIN BKN010 SCT040CB
RMK FM131700 MOD TURB BLW 5000FT
T 18 18 20 16 Q 1010 1008 1009 1011

mickk
13th Mar 2009, 21:26
I believe R1 is under the knife. No leader, no show.

Fly_by_wire
14th Mar 2009, 00:05
stay away at all costs

VH-XXX
14th Mar 2009, 01:36
This is what you would have been confronted with if you attempted to leave Moorabbin for Avalon this morning !

http://users.netconnect.com.au/~njah1/moorabbin2.jpg

http://users.netconnect.com.au/~njah1/moorabbin.jpg

VH-XXX
14th Mar 2009, 08:44
Who was at the airshow today? The media are reporting record crowds. I was surprised to hear that.

bentleg
14th Mar 2009, 09:05
Who was at the airshow today?
Me

The media are reporting record crowds. I was surprised to hear that.

The crowd picked up in the afternoon when the weather was better but still not flash. I doubt it was a record. They got through most of the flying display.

Gusts up to 45 knots hit just after 6 pm overturning several lighties.

PyroTek
14th Mar 2009, 10:19
I was there, was pretty grim.. cold and windy, only to be warmed by the B1B starting up 100 metres away!
Then it started raining, cleared up and got even more windy.

Was pretty good though!
Saw the F-16 getting a little sonic boom on his "fast" pass.:D

povopilot
14th Mar 2009, 12:21
The Caribou did not fly at it's "Last public appearance". There was also a massive lack of warbirds with not even a Dak taking to the skies. Aerobatics were very ordinary and as explained there are no Roulette's. One PC9 flying loops for ten minutes is not exciting. No P3 Orion or BAe Hawk and one F-111 for about 5 minutes.

On the upside the Southern Knights are decent value and the F-16, FA-18, 757 and Super Hornet put on pretty good displays. Why can't our boys put on a C17 display either?

Maybe it wasn't that bad and the weather has just made me grumpy.

Oh yes and we all found out once again that the F16 has more power than the whole starting grid of the indy 500.

PyroTek
14th Mar 2009, 13:08
who is going tomorrow(sunday..)? Shoot me a pm (contact details included) and we can have a chat there. I have a feeling ill be alone. My flight out goes from avalon at 5pm...

Pyro

Lasiorhinus
15th Mar 2009, 02:24
Oh yes and we all found out once again that the F16 has more power than the whole starting grid of the indy 500.

And were informed of the short field takeoff and landing performance of certain aircraft, not in units like metres, which we all understand, or even feet, which would be at least quickly convertable and comprehendable, but in units of football fields?? :ugh:

Critical Reynolds No
15th Mar 2009, 04:55
Found this on 'another' site.
http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu159/CRN777/comiccopy.jpg

soseg
15th Mar 2009, 05:34
Fridays weather was nice and hot then about 5-6 it got chilly before low cloud moved in and the small a/c shows got cancelled about 8pm onwards... ie the connie didnt get to fly (biggest miss) and the sky divers didnt go out

but the low cloud made the fireworks / night show awesome with the f111 dump and burning through the mist lighting everything up more than in clear weather

saturday / sunday(today) look cactus

curious to know what happened with anybody that went

Rotor n Wings
15th Mar 2009, 08:06
To All Posts

The carpark at Avalon was full, guess a lot of people went to the show anyhow,I would say they will be claiming record attendance but suppose that does not mean a good show?

VH-Cheer Up
15th Mar 2009, 08:21
Quote:
Originally Posted by povopilot

And were informed of the short field takeoff and landing performance of certain aircraft, not in units like metres, which we all understand, or even feet, which would be at least quickly convertable and comprehendable, but in units of football fields??

What kind of football fields anyway - 100 yards, soccer fields, or 220+ metre AFL paddocks?

Football fields are about as dumb a measure as car-lengths. Let's hope they don't start quoting runway lengths this way in ERSA.

VH-XXX
15th Mar 2009, 09:20
Went along today.

The Mustang (Jeff Trappet's) ran off the runway and didn't fly. A replacement was flown in from Point Cook's museum.

The F111 didn't fly because the crosswind was too great.

The Constellation didn't fly - it did a high-speed taxi.

Numerous aircraft modified their displays due to the wind.

Unicom was informing Jetstar traffic inbound to expect crosswinds of 35 knots. Every knot of the wind at Avalon was a crosswind today.

Some interesting approaches and closures over at Avalon East with a number of passing showers and crappy weather over the bay.

Excluding the first Avalon that I never went to, probably a record crowd today. If you left at 3pm, you were up for a 2.5 hour wait to get out of the car park. Trick is to not get there early by car and to leave about 4pm.

$50 adult
$40 concession
$10 car parking (unless you told them you only had credit cards and it was FREE!!!)

bentleg
15th Mar 2009, 10:18
The Mustang (Jeff Trappet's) ran off the runway and didn't fly

He aborted the takeoff because of excessive crosswind (or that's what the pilot said to TWR). He did finish on the grass.