PDA

View Full Version : Servicing on the N Reg

valve guide
2nd Mar 2009, 10:21
As a private pilot with my own heli, I only do about 50 hours per year. So end up paying for 50 hour/ 6 month service 6 months into the year having only covered around 25 and then its an annual at around 50 hours. I don't want to sell my heli and start hiring even if I did save money as I like the convenience of having it as and when I want it but just wondered if I put it on the N reg are the servicing requirements the same? I was also thinking that I could get a kit under an STC to allow it to fly on MOGAS. Just trying to keep in the air and safe of course but reducing my costs. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. if it makes any difference its an R44. Please no Robbie bashing, it gets very boring:=. Thanks.

HillerBee
2nd Mar 2009, 11:19
For private use you would only do an annual. You'd only pay an IA to do that and no fees for the FAA. You'll save a lot of money. However it would cost money to transfer it onto the N-Reg and you'd have to pay annual fees to a trust company. Also when you fly it with a FAA license you'd save there as well. Under the FAA you also don't have to log every flight as you would do with CAA, when the 50 hours come up, you just do the oil change yourself, in your case would coincide with the annual anyway. If you want to overfly the oilchange (50hrs) that's fine, there's no legal requirement to do it.

md 600 driver
2nd Mar 2009, 14:34
regarding n reg opperating in the uk does anyone know in the mandatory insurance as for eu reg is required

i know its not required in usa

RVDT
2nd Mar 2009, 21:51
Read this first - AG Corp. (http://www.agcorp.com/lba_us.cfm)

Many people are not operating legally!

froggy_pilot
3rd Mar 2009, 13:16
Welcome to the expensive world of aviation :ouch:

If it's too expensive for you, then you take a smaller chopper or rent one.

You are not the first one who wants to own a chopper then find out that you can't afford it :oh:

Fields Farm
3rd Mar 2009, 16:32
I reckon it's cheaper to keep a helicopter than a wife!

500e
3rd Mar 2009, 20:24
I know a few people who have :E ( kept the helli I mean)

valve guide
3rd Mar 2009, 22:48
Just as I thought PPrune was being helpful Froggy comes in like a ar**hole and spoils it. I have been in helicopters, as in owning them, for 6 years now and I am well aware of how expensive they are to own, run and service. I was simply trying to find a more cost effective way of doing what I love. Perhaps Froggy you should re-read my post as
" You are not the first one who wants to own a chopper then find out that you can't afford it :oh:" I do own a helicopter and I can afford it, I just want to be as cost effective as I can be. "Helicopters are expensive to operate! what a surprise" No not a surprise in owning and running them for 6 years just trying to be safe, legal and as I said cost effective. Many thanks to everyone else who has been very helpful and constructive

007helicopter
4th Mar 2009, 04:14
Valve - would you not consider a partner and splitting all the fixed costs 50% ?

Understand you then loose the total convenience and luxury of having total availability etc