PDA

View Full Version : PPL H Dispirited

_Obiwan
1st Mar 2009, 21:27
Apologies if this is in the wrong place. I have been working toward my PPLH for about 18 months now. Have about 35 hours but I seem to have long period when I can't fly usually due to the weather. I can usually spare 2-3 hours per week but often manage about 1 in 4 lessons. Am I normal? :confused:

Will it ever end?

Whirlygig
1st Mar 2009, 21:32
You sound fairly normal but the weather isn't. We've had some rubbish summers and a cold winter; sounds normal.

Unfortunately, an hour a fortnight means that your progress will be slower as you may have to spend time relearning stuff. If you can, take some time off work when the weather's looking better and consolidate with full-time flying.

Cheers

Whirls

_Obiwan
1st Mar 2009, 21:34
Thanks Whirls. I aim to do at least 5 hours a fortnight (3 one week 2 the next) but it isn't happening at mo due to the weather. You're suggestion of stepping up in the good weather seems good to me.
KR
Obiwan

windowseatplease
1st Mar 2009, 21:44
You're not alone, I had many students who were "time poor", and constantly battling the british weather. All I can say, is try to fly at least once a week, and if you can't fly, get your head in the books and get all the 7 PPL exams done, because that will REALLY help you later. Many people end up ready for their test and they have only passed 2 exams.

Keep at it...

_Obiwan
1st Mar 2009, 21:47
Thanks I appreciate the encouragement :)

nigelh
1st Mar 2009, 22:48
Why not take a week off and do it in USA ? You could get your FAA licence in that time and it is a far more useful one than the CAA i am afraid. No really daft day long type ratings , no extra night rating and if you buy a heli got yourself over here it will probably be much cheaper on the N as well . (not that it makes any difference as you can fly N or G in this country on your FAA licence) I think the medial may last up to 3 yrs as well versus 2 but may be wrong.....
I have no axe to grind as i have both , but the FAA is very useful if i get inadvertantly out of currency on any one type ....or just become illegal due to not fully understanding the daft requirements of our CAA , which seems to be a common occurrence amongst us all on this site . Just look at type ratings etc for 206,L1,L2,L3 and 4 ..multiple types on a licence etc etc
With my FAA licence i am always legal :ok::ok:

scooter boy
1st Mar 2009, 22:56
Nigel, you are right wrt duration of medical. It lasts 3 years if you are under 40 yrs of age (sadly I only get 2 years nowadays, but I remember those youthful days fondly!) I also have UK and USA and find the FAA more pragmatic and less expensive.

FAA - pro aviation, CAA - against.

Obiwan, in the Star Wars movie you were at least 250 years of age so the 3yr medical issue may not cut any sway with you! (unlike your light sabre)

Today was the first day of spring and wasn't it beautiful?
It's official, God has turned on the lights ladies and gentlemen.
I would predict you will find your hours being logged far more rapidly now that the days are drawing out.

SB

MartinCh
2nd Mar 2009, 03:11
SB,
under 40 it's 5 years for FAA class 3 medical (PPL)
The ones issued before this came to power last summer, although may have 3 years' expiry on them, are good for 5 years after issue date (plus minus end of month rules yada) The ATP medical was also extended etc. More info search on pprune or straight to e-CFR

_Obiwan
2nd Mar 2009, 09:40
:) thanks for all the suggestions guys. I will give it serious thought. I really appreciate it. I'd prefer to keep my light sabre out of it if you don't mind.

Need money
2nd Mar 2009, 09:45
MIne took longer than expected (having passed about 4 weeks ago) - took me about 18 months - I ramped up as I started getting nearer exam time..... don't worry - weather is a real frustratioin - try to enjoy the journey, its all about enjoying the flying - not JUST about getting the piece of paper...

Is the frustration because you can't fly(due to other factors beyond your control) - or you don't have a PPL ? there is a difference.

You mirror what I went through !

Simonta
2nd Mar 2009, 10:38
Hi Obiwan

I did mine at Thruxton, which is on the edge of Salisbury plain so I'm very familiar with your situation!

I'd echo what others have said and also add a couple of things which helped me a lot.

When I could, I did some extensive training, especially at weekends and did 2 things;

Book 4,5 or even 6 lessons in a weekend. I learned a lot faster (and it stuck better) when I did intensive work.
Forget the syllabus and focus on "problem areas". For me, it was landings (I used to dither around 2 inches of the deck - not good in a 22). I remember spending an entire hour just doing this - came out knackered and sweaty but it did the trick.

The other thing I did was to hang around the school even when I couldn't fly because I'd booked the time off work or whatever. I'd then walk through the hangar talking to the engineers, looking at Robbos in maintenance, doing check A and check B for the practice and also learning as much as I could about airfields ops, the duty log, listening to ATC etc etc. This really did help me, not with the flying perhaps, but with the whole "situational awareness" of what I was doing.

Stick with it - and spring it just around the corner!

Cheers

JTobias
3rd Mar 2009, 15:01
Who you learning with.
PM me if you don't want to put it here!

Joel

ianp
3rd Mar 2009, 19:12
Hi Obiwan,

For what it is worth recency due to weather or other factors can be a problem for military helicopter students as well. It is not uncommon for an additional "BITS" (back in the saddle sortie) to be generated in the event of a long unavoidable layoff.

Good luck with your licence

Ian